DBSTalk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Jeez. We bought the 4K sets for the upscaling initially. Why wouldn't an 8K set upscale better than a 4K set?
I bought my first 4K set in 2015, for the upscaling. I knew there wasn't enough 4K content out there to justify buying one, but for me, the upscaling was more than worth it. I haven't changed my opinion of the 4K sets, and I have to think I'd enjoy the upscaling of an 8K set, in spite of the fact that there is no content at the moment. In a few years, all we will see for sale in the larger models will be 8K sets, history will repeat itself and the naysayers about 8K will be as silent as the opponents of 4K sets are today.

Rich
I could not disagree more with that final statement. I do agree that in 4-5 years that 8K will be predominately ruling the larger TV market because the price will come down as did 4K. At that point there will be no reason to even want 4K. The difference between performance at that point will be the ability to upscale. Which is really what separates the top performing 4K sets now. The processors used now are having a very difficult time upscaling to 8K because of the power required, the electricity used and the heat generated. It's not easy to blast a bright picture through that many pixels. Now we have mico LED's which is even more difficult and demanding. And 1,000 plus zones of local dimming??? The algorithm nightmares.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
You sound like the naysayers that mocked the idea of 4K. Hear anyone calling 4K a hoax or fake news these days?
There are quite a few pro football fans righteously mocking Fox's plans to offer games that are upscaled to 4K.

There's still virtually no 4K broadcast content.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
Actually all it does is unconfuse people Rich. If anybody asks if they should pay a premium for 8K just have them read the article. Most would not understand a lot of the technical jargon but most would at least read the final conclusion and at least somewhat understand how they got there. I say pay a premium for 8K, not if they are close in price. At the moment the Samsung 85N900 8K is about $4,000 more than the 85QN90A. I don't see how you can compare the introduction of 4K and 8K to the public. Years ago you could watch sports broadcasts in 4K, like the Masters. DirecTV has had at least two dedicated 4K channels for at least 6 years. Nothing like that is or close to being available in 8K. 4K DVD players have been available for almost a decade which coinsides with 4K DVD's. And how about 4K games and gaming systems? Nothing like that for 8K. It's not confusing information when even the casual buyer is asking why they should pay a premium for 8K over 4K. I've heard customers at Costco ask that question.
Again, this post could have been written in 2015 about 4K. That's when I bought my first 4K set because of the upscaling, not the content that didn't exist at that time. Those same Costco customers you overheard (I don't consider anecdotal stories evidence of any kind) would have asked the same questions about 4K years ago. This is an evolution, just like 4K. Go back in the archives on this site and look at the 4K threads, not many people were interested in it at first for the same reasons you keep throwing out as proof of some sort.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
There are quite a few pro football fans righteously mocking Fox's plans to offer games that are upscaled to 4K.

There's still virtually no 4K broadcast content.
Your point? Have I said there was a vast amount of 4K content on linear TV? Those fans are correct, Fox puts out the worst PQ for sports, upscaling that picture to 4K is a perfect example of GIGO. Unless you have a TV set that can turn Fox's crappy PQ into something that looks a lot like a football game in 1080i, upscaled. Still not perfect but a hell of a lot better than what I get on my "normal" Samsung sets. Now, what was your point?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't see any correlation between the acceptance of 4K to 8K other than what the TV manufactures want you to buy into. I've logically shown the huge differences between the two. No 8K DVD players and none at all planned. No 8K DVDs available and none planned. No 8K streaming available and none planned. No 8k broadcast TV or 4K or 1080P available and none planned. Since we have 4K DVD players and 4K DVDs and a great deal of 4K streaming content on HBO, Amazon Prime, Netflix etc, there is great incentive to buy a 4K TV and zero incentive to buy a 8K TV other than the potential for up scaling. We may be forced to buy a 8K display in the very near future but only because they will be shoved down our throats.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Your point?
My point is that 8K offers no benefits in the foreseeable future so jumping in now is a substantial waste of money -- perhaps not even future-proofing.

Getting wadded up about how well an LCD scales used to be a big deal when CRTs ruled the world and that's still kind of how things are. Why worry about upscaling if you don't have to?

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
My point is that 8K offers no benefits in the foreseeable future so jumping in now is a substantial waste of money -- perhaps not even future-proofing.

Getting wadded up about how well an LCD scales used to be a big deal when CRTs ruled the world and that's still kind of how things are. Why worry about upscaling if you don't have to?
I don't want to enter into a philosophical discussion with you about upscaling. I told you what my opinion was, you're not gonna change that.

Rich

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't want to enter into a philosophical discussion with you about upscaling. I told you what my opinion was, you're not gonna change that.

Rich
I'm happy to say that my opinion can always be changed. In my life I have had many opinions that ended up being wrong. Like, wow that Edsel is a cool car, 3D will be here forever, OLED will never be affordable, the U.S. will always be the leader in electronics. Here comes the electric car generation so I suppose 8K could someday become the norm.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
For some the future is more foreseeable. A lot comes down to how far one looks ahead. It is like watching the path of a hurricane and the official predicted path cone. The NWS foresees the storm center remaining somewhere inside that cone ... which side they don't know which is why the cone widens as it gets further from "current". Storms can also weaken and strengthen - so can the global economy. I would not spend extra for 8K "today" but given the choice between 4K and 8K at near the same price I'd give 8K a chance.

·
AllStar
1,410 Posts
My UHD TV has all three fads! (as called by the 4k naysayers back then)

1 it's UHD (or "4k")

2 it's got a curved screen

3 it does 3D (and does it quite well with two always-on passive full 1080p channels when displaying 3D)

and 4 (if it counts) it's an OLED.

Ok I'll relent on the possibility of 2 and 3 being fads.

I'm perfectly content with it but would not discount the possibility of the benefits of 8k, future or current. Can you even find a 1080 set anymore? Would you even bother to try?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
For some the future is more foreseeable. A lot comes down to how far one looks ahead.
It doesn't really matter how far ahead you can see. ESPN claimed they were going all in on UHDTV1 some years ago and we know how far that went. The market for 8K content is virtually nonexistent and while it may advance incrementally, I daresay that nobody has a definitive timeline for transmitting 8K content.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I'm happy to say that my opinion can always be changed. In my life I have had many opinions that ended up being wrong. Like, wow that Edsel is a cool car, 3D will be here forever, OLED will never be affordable, the U.S. will always be the leader in electronics. Here comes the electric car generation so I suppose 8K could someday become the norm.
You misread my post, you seem to be assuming that I won't change an opinion. You might want to reread that sentence.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You misread my post, you seem to be assuming that I won't change an opinion. You might want to reread that sentence.
I realize that you were specifically talking about upscaling. My post was a in general position that being unbendable in our opinions is non productive in everything technically oriented. Most things in life actually.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I realize that you were specifically talking about upscaling. My post was a in general position that being unbendable in our opinions is non productive in everything technically oriented. Most things in life actually.
You might want to reread that sentence again and try to put it in context with other posts that are related to it. That sentence was addressed to someone in particular and you are twisting my words to make your argument.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You might want to reread that sentence again and try to put it in context with other posts that are related to it. That sentence was addressed to someone in particular and you are twisting my words to make your argument.
In the 15 or so years I've been here I would say the majority of responses are to posts meant for someone specific. Mostly in some regard to the OP or at least related to his or her post. I don't see how I twisted anything. I'm basically saying "never say never".

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
My point is that 8K offers no benefits in the foreseeable future ...
ESPN claimed they were going all in on UHDTV1 some years ago and we know how far that went.
Yep. They built a really nice 4K studio and used it for 3D. I am surprised that none of the major channel owners have a linear 4K channel - but the market has shifted. Non-linear content is becoming more popular. (As a long time DVR owner I have been taking steps away from linear for years. Delaying content until I wanted to watch it and now using OnDemand along side my DVR content.)

"No benefits" is a big claim.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Very defensible if you give any creedence to the article mentioned earlier regarding the Warner Bros 4K vs 8K comparison concluding that the average viewer would recognize no difference between 4K and 8K.
I'm looking at it more from the perspective of history rather than science. Science doesn't play as big of a role as it perhaps should in marketing and buying decisions when it comes to TV.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
In the 15 or so years I've been here I would say the majority of responses are to posts meant for someone specific. Mostly in some regard to the OP or at least related to his or her post. I don't see how I twisted anything. I'm basically saying "never say never".
Sure.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.