DBSTalk Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
I'm looking at it more from the perspective of history rather than science. Science doesn't play as big of a role as it perhaps should in marketing and buying decisions when it comes to TV.
History and science can be beat by marketing. But if one wants to look at history look at how well 4K sets sold prior to the widespread availability of 4K content. People are more than willing to purchase a TV that outperforms the signals available. 4K TVs displaying mostly HD content. Prior to that HD TVs displaying mostly SD content. Displays can be better than the signals they are fed. (Not the PQ, but the capability of the display itself.)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
But if one wants to look at history look at how well 4K sets sold prior to the widespread availability of 4K content. People are more than willing to purchase a TV that outperforms the signals available. 4K TVs displaying mostly HD content. Prior to that HD TVs displaying mostly SD content. Displays can be better than the signals they are fed. (Not the PQ, but the capability of the display itself.)
The promise of HDR and WCG was the big win with UHDTV1. There's nothing new (other than the higher resolution) to be had with UHDTV2.

It is easy to justify the big jumps (like going to digital and Dolby surround with the DTV transition) but damn hard to justify the incremental changes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
8K is a different animal than 4K. The average American buyer will go for 8K if the price is acceptable. That is a concept ingrained in the average American buyer from a bunch of decades of marketing. If you ask the random person on the street if they think 8K is better than 4K you will get a yes from 90% even if they have no idea about what you're talking about. Will they pay more for better? That is the marketers challange and they are very very good at their job. The final solution, remove the 4K option. Is 16K far behind? That animal is already being manufactured in a limited basis.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Welcome to America. People may not know what 5G is but the want 6G. The same with 8K over 4K. That is marketing.

Reactions: krel

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
Welcome to America. People may not know what 5G is but the want 6G. The same with 8K over 4K. That is marketing.
Unlike wireless phones, people typically don't upgrade their TVs every 2-3 years.

Marketing will have an uphill battle until Netflix and/or Amazon offer some 8K content. Given the situation with high-end computer display cards, they aren't likely to get much help from that quarter.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
Marketing will have an uphill battle until Netflix and/or Amazon offer some 8K content. Given the situation with high-end computer display cards, they aren't likely to get much help from that quarter.
Additionally, also while people (average consumers, mind you) care about things like 4K/8K/etc., or act like they do, at the same time they don't care about those things at all.

I help broadcast some local high school sports events via YouTube. Up until last season, we were still working with 4:3 formats, and our extremely old video camera was a little less than perfect with the focus. People didn't care. They just wanted to be able to watch the kids play. My significant other isn't concerned if NBC broadcasts "This Is Us" in 4K, 8K, or 100K. We spend hours watching content that is literally guys sitting around in a booth talking to each other (i.e., sports talk shows on TV.) While we're in this amazing age of generating eye-popping content and programs, at the same time we're also shelling out super-simple content that doesn't require all the bells and whistles that we keep trying to sell people on.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i say you need a 55inch set or bigger to get the full benefits of 4k
I agree and it's fascinating how the actual existence of this Internet Streaming catagory is a window into the continuing metamorphosis of the TV sets (720p 1080i 1080p 4k 8k). Streaming programming via Netflx, Hulu Prime etc has allowed the modern TV set to become the hub of family entertainment. The affordability along with larger sizes has allowed TV sets to become something special in our lives. Not quite the conversation piece that cars have always dominated but it's probably a close second.

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
There are still 1080p sets made at smaller sizes (ie: 40 inches and smaller). But I can't fully imagine 4k taking over say the 32 inches at Best Buy any time soon.
I easily can. At some point they will stop making them and only make 4K sets due to the costs of making the panels being such that they make less money on 1080p panels. It's coming. Just as the end of plasma came. And the rptv. It's just a matter of when.

·
Mentor
482 Posts
It's coming. Just as the end of plasma came. And the rptv. It's just a matter of when.
*Desperately clutches onto his plasma TV mounted in the living room.* "I'll give you my plasma when you pry it from my cold, dead hands." :D

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
i say you need a 55inch set or bigger to get the full benefits of 4k
It all comes down to how close you are to the display when viewing. Some use 55" TVs for their computer displays and they're close enough to see what's going on. I don't think my neck could withstand such a large display but that may be more an issue of conspicuous consumption than practicality.

Reactions: krel

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
My wife would probably break my neck if I bought a 55" display. :D

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
I seldom watch TV on my iPad, but yesterday I noticed that when I held the 9.7-inch iPad at arm's length in front of me the screen just blocked the 55-inch TV set about ten feet away.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
*Desperately clutches onto his plasma TV mounted in the living room.* "I'll give you my plasma when you pry it from my cold, dead hands." :D
Buy a 4K set and you'll end dumping the plasma at the recycling center. I ran out of folks that wanted them.
Watch a 4K set for a week and you will see what I mean.

Rich

·
Mentor
482 Posts
Buy a 4K set and you'll end dumping the plasma at the recycling center. I ran out of folks that wanted them.
Watch a 4K set for a week and you will see what I mean.
I know, I know. And the day that I do finally upgrade, you'll be the first to know and I'm sure I'll have say, "You were right." :) Until then, I'm be spinning in my little plasma orbit with all the 1080p that I can handle. (Remember when 1080p was the PINNACLE?)

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
I know, I know. And the day that I do finally upgrade, you'll be the first to know and I'm sure I'll have say, "You were right." :) Until then, I'm be spinning in my little plasma orbit with all the 1080p that I can handle. (Remember when 1080p was the PINNACLE?)
Of course, I remember. I had twelve of them at one time. Every time I bought one I compared it to every LCD set the store had at my price range and the plasmas always had the best PQ. I was stunned when I realized how much better my new 4K set was than the best plasma I had. I put a plasma in the same room as the 4K set and the difference was striking. That comparison was made with a 42 inch Panny Plasma and a 65 inch 4K Samsung JS8500. No matter the distance the difference was obvious. The distance argument with the 4K sets is BS, no matter the distance, no matter the size of the set, the 4K sets simply blow the plasmas away.

Dumping all the plasmas at almost the same time hurt. Financially and mentally. I'm glad I did it. But look at what you're gonna get when you finally break down and get one. You'll get a large set for peanuts and you will have an epiphany, think of that. How many times in your life have you had an epiphany?

Rich

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.