DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
This has a "slimy" feel to it. TiVo waits until the 11th hour of the S3 VIP transfer and then pulls this.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
bidger said:
This has a "slimy" feel to it. TiVo waits until the 11th hour of the S3 VIP transfer and then pulls this.
Doesn't seem slimy to me in the least, but the timing is rather silly--should have been offered to the "lifetimers" from the release of the S3.

I also don't think that a large percentage of D* folks actually paid for lifetime -- it's been quite some time since it was available.

But for folks who paid for lifetime service on the DirecTivos and wish to continue with Tivo rather than D*, it seems like a nice gesture on their part and a good competitive move. Tivo is going to have to fight very hard for survival (I don't personally think they'll make it, sadly), they're going to have to do whatever they can.

Me, I still prefer Tivo, but also own an HR20 and will be sticking w/ D* for the foreseeable future -- neither cable or FIOS offers the sports programming I desire.

·
Mentor
40 Posts
bwaldron said:
Doesn't seem slimy to me in the least, but the timing is rather silly--should have been offered to the "lifetimers" from the release of the S3.

I also don't think that a large percentage of D* folks actually paid for lifetime -- it's been quite some time since it was available.

But for folks who paid for lifetime service on the DirecTivos and wish to continue with Tivo rather than D*, it seems like a nice gesture on their part and a good competitive move. Tivo is going to have to fight very hard for survival (I don't personally think they'll make it, sadly), they're going to have to do whatever they can.

Me, I still prefer Tivo, but also own an HR20 and will be sticking w/ D* for the foreseeable future -- neither cable or FIOS offers the sports programming I desire.
Is anyone aware of the fact that TVIO is making DVR's for Comcast Cable. Comcast will be offering the TVIO DVR to their customers for a higher rental fee than their standard DVR's. I also believe that Comcast is buying TIVO or now owns part of TIVO.

http://www.tivoblog.com/archives/2006/05/30/comcast-to-begin-beta-testing-tivo-software/

·
Mentor
40 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It seems that TiVo, Inc... might make that a possibility

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=332803
It's Official, TiVo To Partner With Comcast
TiVo has agreed to supply its' DVR to the number one cable company Comcast (Reuters). This is obviously big news for TiVo. I've said a number of times (1, 2) that TiVo needed to setup a deal with a major cable company especially since their relationship with DirecTV has been shaky at best. Maybe this news will allow TiVo to reach profitability! Stay tuned for more updates.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.. it is known.

They announced the partnerhsip over 2 years ago... and the unit is just now starting to be internally tested... with rumors that it won't be available to the public till April 2007.

And that is a TiVo solution, that stuffs the TiVo software into what will be by then 3+ year old hardware.

They also have a partnership with Cox as well.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Yes.. it is known.

They announced the partnerhsip over 2 years ago... and the unit is just now starting to be internally tested... with rumors that it won't be available to the public till April 2007.

And that is a TiVo solution, that stuffs the TiVo software into what will be by then 3+ year old hardware.

They also have a partnership with Cox as well.
Yeah, this is starting to get absurd. Estimates I've heard are actually by the end of 2007 for most customers. And you're right about the hardware issues.

Were I a Comcast customer who really wanted Tivo, I'd go with a series 3.

·
Legend
128 Posts
bwaldron said:
Yeah, this is starting to get absurd. Estimates I've heard are actually by the end of 2007 for most customers. And you're right about the hardware issues.

Were I a Comcast customer who really wanted Tivo, I'd go with a series 3.
Not a lot of people can afford near 800 bones for a series 3. I would rather happy to have the option of tivo software even on older hardware. Has to be much better than the crap the normal cable dvr box.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
vikingguy said:
Not a lot of people can afford near 800 bones for a series 3. I would rather happy to have the option of tivo software even on older hardware. Has to be much better than the crap the normal cable dvr box.
Oh, I agree with the cost of the S3...right now it's an early adopter price for enthusiasts only (as was the HR10 when D* first offered it). Just saying that Comcast has been dangling this "Tivo" bone for quite some time now, with nothing tangible to show. I would expect a somewhat bare-bones Tivo implementation on the boxes, and as Earl noted we're talking older hardware not designed for the Tivo OS...problems are much more likely. You're right, though, it can't be worse than the existing software on the boxes.

·
Godfather
306 Posts
vikingguy said:
Retail is $799, it is selling for $500-$680 all over the internet from retailers like TCF (sister site of this site), Dell, etc.

HR10's are selling used for $300-$450. (Mine sold for $425, with 500 Gig HD).

So potentially your only looking at a couple hundred bucks...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.