DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my AT9 dish installed yesterday and today when I tried to watch my first HD local program (SNL), the colors are sort of "inverted".

I have watched several minutes of the show and this does not go away.

I rebooted the receiver and it did not change anything.

This is present on both the recording of the show and if I switch to live.

I switched to a different local HD program and it has the same issue.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

PS - I am on the east coast so I have not received the latest upgrade yet.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
This only happens on the HD channels or all channels? What about the MPEG2 HD channels in the 70s channel range? If it's happening on all channels and you're using component video cables to connect to the TV, I would guess that your component cables are mixed up. If that's not the case, I haven't the foggiest idea why this would be occurring.

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PoitNarf said:
This only happens on the HD channels or all channels? What about the MPEG2 HD channels in the 70s channel range? If it's happening on all channels and you're using component video cables to connect to the TV, I would guess that your component cables are mixed up. If that's not the case, I haven't the foggiest idea why this would be occurring.
The problem only happens on the local HD programs - all other channels are fine (including the MPEG2 HD channels).

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
clay_w said:
The problem only happens on the local HD programs - all other channels are fine (including the MPEG2 HD channels).
Very odd. Maybe it is an encoding problem on D*s end. Which city do you get your locals from?

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is like there is just "black" in some places where color should be.

Not sure if this could be a factor but when the dish was installed yesterday the installer said that the LNB was defective and he was going to come back and replace it.

He said everything would still work fine but the signal strength is just not as high as it should be (ranging from mid 70's-mid 90's).

But, it does not seem like that could just affect local HD channels, does it?

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was hoping that it would be gone this morning but it is not.

I did a reset again with no luck.

Is it possible that it could be an LNB/dish problem? My HR10 works fine and like I said, it is only the local HD channels.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
clay_w said:
I was hoping that it would be gone this morning but it is not.

I did a reset again with no luck.

Is it possible that it could be an LNB/dish problem? My HR10 works fine and like I said, it is only the local HD channels.
No, this is not a dish problem. It is either internal to your HR20 or a problem with the communication between the HR20 and your TV (or a problem with your locals). Try unplugging the power from your HR20 for a few minutes to see if that makes a difference. You still haven't said how it is hooked up to your TV. Have you tried it with the other video inputs?

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PoitNarf said:
No, this is not a dish problem. It is either internal to your HR20 or a problem with the communication between the HR20 and your TV (or a problem with your locals). Try unplugging the power from your HR20 for a few minutes to see if that makes a difference. You still haven't said how it is hooked up to your TV. Have you tried it with the other video inputs?
It was connected to my TV via component. I just tried it with the HDMI connection and it has the same problem.

I don't see it as being a problem with my TV as the HR10 works great, the SD and non local HD channels on the HR20 work fine.

So, there is no way this could be a problem caused by the LNB? The installer said he had to "rig it" because it had a problem but that the only thing that I would notice by it would be a lower signal than normal.

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The installer didn't actually set anything in the receiver I don't think, does the latitude and logitude need to be set? (I did re-run the setup and made sure the right zip code and dish type is set).

·
Godfather
340 Posts
clay_w said:
The installer didn't actually set anything in the receiver I don't think, does the latitude and logitude need to be set? (I did re-run the setup and made sure the right zip code and dish type is set).
Not on the receiver itself. That is there so the installer will know what the Lat. and Long. should be for the dish.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
clay_w said:
So, there is no way this could be a problem caused by the LNB? The installer said he had to "rig it" because it had a problem but that the only thing that I would notice by it would be a lower signal than normal.
There is no way that the LNB would be doing something to the Ka signal it is receiving to somehow invert the colors on your MPEG4 channels. I'd call D* tech support and ask them to send you a replacement unit. Seems like something really weird going on with the MPEG4 decoder in your HR20.

·
Godfather
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PoitNarf said:
There is no way that the LNB would be doing something to the Ka signal it is receiving to somehow invert the colors on your MPEG4 channels. I'd call D* tech support and ask them to send you a replacement unit. Seems like something really weird going on with the MPEG4 decoder in your HR20.
Being that I picked up the receiver locally about 2 weeks ago, D* is probably going to want me to take it back and exchange it there.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
clay_w said:
Being that I picked up the receiver locally about 2 weeks ago, D* is probably going to want me to take it back and exchange it there.
They might. I'd give the local retailer a try first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.