DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting the new iPad, but have a question. I notice the wi-fi only version doesn't have GPS. If I were to go for the 4G version with GPS, could I use it for GPS like uses, such as turn by turn directions, without it freaking out because it doesn't have a data signal from Verizon or AT&T (I wouldn't pay for data)?

· Hall Of Fame
1,128 Posts
Yes. As long as you purchase a GPS app with all the maps available for offline viewing. It's a big initial download over wifi but no other downloads expect for traffic updates, if you so desire.

Kevin

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin F said:
Yes. As long as you purchase a GPS app with all the maps available for offline viewing. It's a big initial download over wifi but no other downloads expect for traffic updates, if you so desire.

Kevin
And it wouldn't work with just the regular, wi-fi version?
What is a good app? I use Google Maps and Navigation on my Android phone, but I don't imagine that's available for Apple? lol

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
Maybe I am not understanding your question, but I don't see how you can use the iPad for nav. without cell service, except under very limited circumstances. And for cell service you will need to sub, hence $$.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
How do regular GPS units work without cell service?
They have GPS receivers built in them, a computer, and a program to calculate the codes sent by the satellites, triangulate them to resolve your location, and display/plot that location on a map in real time.

Cell phones would be using the same satellites, not the cell towers or cell service. It would not be accurate enough, assuming you could even receive signals from 5 to 12 towers at once.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Davenlr said:
They have GPS receivers built in them, a computer, and a program to calculate the codes sent by the satellites, triangulate them to resolve your location, and display/plot that location on a map in real time.

Cell phones would be using the same satellites, not the cell towers or cell service. It would not be accurate enough, assuming you could even receive signals from 5 to 12 towers at once.
On descriptions for phones and tablets, I usually see GPS. Is this not the same thing?

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Lots of things have GPS built in, car radios, I-stuff, cell phones, stand alone GPS units, laptop computer programs. If anyone is lost in this day and age, they want to be lost.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Davenlr said:
Lots of things have GPS built in, car radios, I-stuff, cell phones, stand alone GPS units, laptop computer programs. If anyone is lost in this day and age, they want to be lost.
So why is a phone different than stand alone GPS units, and other things? What am I missing? Is this just a limitation imposed by the cell carriers?

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
So why is a phone different than stand alone GPS units, and other things? What am I missing? Is this just a limitation imposed by the cell carriers?
Its not different. Im not understanding what limitation you are referring to...Once you download the app and the maps (and the maps are HUGE files), the cell phone should perform GPS functions just like a stand-alone unit. So should the i-stuff.

Im sure Apple has something is their stuff to extract money from you for it. Most GPS units come complete with maps, but still require a quarterly expense to keep the maps updated...or just dont update it, and it might miss a new road, but should still work ok.

The phone apps might be more aimed at walking than driving, Ive never used a GPS app on a cell phone.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
Laxguy said it wouldn't work without cell service/signal. I want to download a GPS/Navigation over wi-fi at home, and then use it on the iPad without cell service. Is that possible?
Dont know. If is doesnt, then its because Apple wrote the app to require a cell subscription to use it. I have no idea why they would cripple it like that, since GPS has nothing to do with cell service at all. Now there are phone apps that DO use a general location from cell towers to give you suggestions of destinations near you, etc, but that isnt GPS. GPS is from government satellites orbiting the earth, each sending out an ID and time code. By calculating the difference in time each signal reaches the receiver(s), the app can tell exactly where you are, and at what elevation, down to about 3 feet.

http://reviewunit.com/3-best-free-ipad-and-iphone-gps-apps/

As the name reflects, this is a free GPS app on iTunes Store. The best feature about this iPad / iPhone app is the fact that it is so very easy to use. It lets you tag locations on your way which is like marking your way back to destination.

· Legend
156 Posts
Not sure about the i-pad but some cell phones(mostly older ones from several years ago) are advertised as having GPS but really are only a-GPS capable. a-GPS(assisted GPS) gets it's data (map data and GPS coords.) from the cell towers, not the GPS satellites and requires an active account from a cell carrier. Now days, most smartphones (Android, iphone, etc.) not only have a-GPS but also include an actual GPS receiver. You can use a-GPS, GPS or a combination of both. In order to use your smartphone as a GPS device you will need a way to get the map data. Either by an active cell account or already present on your device. It is possible (but probably not a reality) via wifi but you will need a constant connection to many wifi APs on your route.

· Registered
16,423 Posts
It most likely will work without cell service but not be very accurate at all. For instance the wi-fi only iPads do have a form of GPS location where they bounce signals off of known wi-fi locations to try to triangulate your position. This is not accurate at all though. My first iPad, when the iPad 1 first came out, was a wi-fi only one. Sitting in my living room I had it pinpoint my location so it did it's wifi triangulation thing and thought I was a good 10 miles from where I actually was. Once I got an iPad with 3G it was not only able to pinpoint my house on the map as being the spot where I was but the pin on my house was actually on the side of the house where I was sitting.

· Registered
16,423 Posts
Davenlr said:
I see TomTom has a GPS app for Ipad now, so I would say, if you have a way to get the data onto the Ipad without a cell subscription, you dont need one to use them.
The maps are installed on the iPad when you install the app. The cell service is used only to pinpoint your location. Without some way for the iPad to tell where you are, whether that be wifi triangulation or cell service, the app is useless regardless of what maps you install on it.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
If its using cell towers to pinpoint your app, its not a true GPS, since G stands for Global, and the S stands for satellite :) There are no cell towers in a lot of places. Apparently the iPAD doesnt have a true GPS satellite receiver built in, so I guess you would have to plug in an external one? Saw some in the $200 range for sale online.

· Registered
16,423 Posts
Davenlr said:
If its using cell towers to pinpoint your app, its not a true GPS, since G stands for Global, and the S stands for satellite :) There are no cell towers in a lot of places. Apparently the iPAD doesnt have a true GPS satellite receiver built in, so I guess you would have to plug in an external one? Saw some in the $200 range for sale online.
It's not using cell towers to find your location, the 3G models have true GPS. The wifi only ones use known wifi locations, sometimes cell towers, to find your location.

Maybe this will be of some help:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4995

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
I see, so it switches when you are inside out of the range of a GPS, so I guess if you were outside in your car, then it would be pretty accurate. But I think the question Kevin had was would it work in GPS mode without a cell subscription.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.