DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Library of Congress made it legal, MuscleNerd showed us it was a go, and now Comex and company have delivered the long-awaited jailbreak to the fourth rendition of iPhone. According to their new page JailbreakMe, the hack works right on the iPhone 4 (or 3GS, or 3G, or iPad, or...) itself, using via the handset's Safari browser to reportedly break into most any iOS device. The servers are getting slammed pretty badly, and only a few Engadget editors have so much as seen the page pictured above so far, but rest assured we're testing this as we speak and will have more details up soon. Update: Sorry folks, we've tried repeatedly, but apparently the servers....
More here:http://i.engadget.com/2010/08/01/official-iphone-4-jailbreak-hits-from-iphone-dev-team/

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Best of luck to those who try this... I hear it breaks FaceTime and MMS.

·
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Best of luck to those who try this... I hear it breaks FaceTime and MMS.
Read update 7 in the article.....issues solved.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
Well, they are pretty well known and I imagine enough people with knowlege are jailbreaking that if they were doing something nefarious in the past, it would have come out.

Of course, this does bring up a point. If the browser and iOS are so full of holes that this can be done, certainly, someone could do something pretty bad to your phone I imagine.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Look, show me something that outweighs the risk, and give me some confidence that the next iOS update won't wipe out the jailbreak and I'll consider it. Until then, I'll sit on the sidelines.

·
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Sweet is absolutely justified in his concern over jailbreaking his iphone. Apple had a history of releasing OS updates that will undo the jailbreak. That is Apples prerogative. I'm not convinced that it is wrong for Apple to be that way.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
Oh, I am certain the next iOS release will kill the jailbreak, at least for a while until they find another way around it. Especially sure they will fix the vector that allows it to work over mobile Safari so you'll probably have to slum it with a one click method like before in the future, but who knows.

I am torn. I really need the supposed coming fix for the Proximity sensor as thats the worst issue on my phone ( I have the antenna problem, but its not so hard to work around that.) but I would love to jailbreak for a few specific things, like the five Icon dock and maybe some animated icons as I am hopeful they will work much better on the iPhone 4 than before. ALso, facetime over 3G will not hurt, but I don;t anticipate doing it that much.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,136 Posts
It was not realy a patent ruling. The Library of Congress just said that Jailbreaking is a and exception to the DMCA banning all attempts to get around encryption. Apple is still perfectly legal in their efforts to stop it. Especially because to do it relys on security issues in the file system. (and I am all in favor of Jailbreaking)

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
I did mine last night to grab a few backgrounds and ringtones at first then I'll grab other things later on.

·
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
http://i.engadget.com/2010/08/04/apple-pdf-security-hole-fix-is-already-ready-to-go/

JailbreakMe brought root to the iPhone 4-wielding masses, but also unearthed a nasty exploit in a PDF font. Thankfully for the rooted and those who never intended to root, Cupertino claims it has already patched the hole. "We're aware of the reported issue, we have already developed a fix and it will be available to customers in an upcoming software update," an Apple spokeswoman told CNET. We're not sure exactly when it will arrive, but we'd lay odds on soon --in the meantime, don't open any PDFs you don't....

·
Icon
883 Posts
mutelight said:
Really the only reason I jailbroke my phone was so that I could use tethering without altering my AT&T plan since I am grandfathered into the unlimited data plan.
This is what I would like to do so I can test whether getting an air card might be worthwhile (and save the try it, return it for when I know better that it might work). What did you need to do for this? Did you use the website jailbreak & after that, how do you get the apps for jailbroken phones?

And are you using MyWi?

·
Godfather
388 Posts
HDJulie said:
This is what I would like to do so I can test whether getting an air card might be worthwhile (and save the try it, return it for when I know better that it might work). What did you need to do for this? Did you use the website jailbreak & after that, how do you get the apps for jailbroken phones?

And are you using MyWi?
Basically I jailbroke it using the http://jailbreakme.com website which installs Cydia. From there I installed the Rock application where I purchased MyWi.

·
Godfather
388 Posts
HDJulie said:
That was my intention as well. I've been reading that some people are having problems getting MyWi to work with WiFi on iPhone 4's, though, so I'm holding off for now.
I am currently running MyWi with WiFi tethering at 50% transmit power (to save battery) from my iPhone 4 to my laptop while streaming Sirius through my phone and ran this speed test.

Haven't had any problems yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.