DBSTalk Forum banner

IR and RF at the same time

735 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  carl6
Will we ever get IR and RF at the same time again? I have a IR universal remote in the room my TV is in that I don't want to give up. I also watch the DVR from another tv downstairs that I would like to use my directv remote in RF mode, but the DVR seems to be only IR or RF not both. Will this ever change?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
jmntn2000 said:
Will we ever get IR and RF at the same time again? I have a IR universal remote in the room my TV is in that I don't want to give up. I also watch the DVR from another tv downstairs that I would like to use my directv remote in RF mode, but the DVR seems to be only IR or RF not both. Will this ever change?
My guess would be NO... I use the feature to have 2 DVR's in the same room. If they could receive both kinds of signals simultaneously you would not be able to do this. One DVR is on RF, the other is on IR.

There are of course other ways to do this, but I think the idea is to have the choice between the two.
They could enable it if they wanted to. The H20 worked that way early on, probably by mistake. I'd love to have it back for the same reasons as the OP. You can easily have 2 DVRs in the same room by assigning them different codes, so IR/RF is not an issue.
The R15 will do both at the same time as long as you only set the remote and do not make changes in the R15 itself (changing it to rf). As soon as you change the R15 itself to rf, it only does rf.

So there is no functional limitation to supporting three modes (ir, rf, both), it is simply that it has not been implemented.

Whether or not it ever will be is unknown. It has been requested repeatedly in these forums.

Carl
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.