DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my plasma swapped out under warranty the other day for a new LCD... and the IR interference is terrible... It's totally killing the signal to my HR20... I literally have to try for 2-3 minutes to get one command to it...

I'm using a Harmony 880 right now, but have tried the DirecTV remote as well with no luck...

Any suggestions? Would it help if I switched to the other IR frequency? If so, does anyone know how to do that with a Harmony?

TIA...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
AirRocker said:
I just had my plasma swapped out under warranty the other day for a new LCD... and the IR interference is terrible... It's totally killing the signal to my HR20... I literally have to try for 2-3 minutes to get one command to it...

I'm using a Harmony 880 right now, but have tried the DirecTV remote as well with no luck...

Any suggestions? Would it help if I switched to the other IR frequency? If so, does anyone know how to do that with a Harmony?

TIA...
sorry to here whats going one AR, i have no clue to help.

but maybe some info about the make and model of the LCD might help others tend to your needs?

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
Distance is the only cure. Signal interference falls off at the square of the distance. In other words, if your DVR is a foot away from the TV now, and you can move it to two feet away, the interference will be a quarter of the strength. Move it four feet away and you'll have a sixteenth of the interference.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,484 Posts
You're not going to like it, but the best solution is to go RF.

Sounds like you might consider turning the brightness down to somewhere below the "retina, well" level.

The problem with IR is that it is one wavelength regardless of the remote code set.

It may be possible to fashion some sort of "feed horn" around the IR detector on the HR20. Make sure the TV isn't reflecting off of something and casting a ray of IR on the DVR.

·
Superfly
4,567 Posts
I'm not sure this is a line of sight issue. I think it's a radiation issue. I've had interference problems with LCD TVs even when they couldn't "see" the components. They were just too close.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Carl Spock said:
I'm not sure this is a line of sight issue. I think it's a radiation issue. I've had interference problems with LCD TVs even when they couldn't "see" the components. They were just too close.
mine had the problem, just turning the DVR fixed it 99.9% (still won't respond for 10 seconds on powerup).. It's 6' away..

·
Lifetime Achiever
10,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
harsh said:
You're not going to like it, but the best solution is to go RF.

Sounds like you might consider turning the brightness down to somewhere below the "retina, well" level.

The problem with IR is that it is one wavelength regardless of the remote code set.

It may be possible to fashion some sort of "feed horn" around the IR detector on the HR20. Make sure the TV isn't reflecting off of something and casting a ray of IR on the DVR.
Thanks for the info harsh... And thanks for the tips everyone...

Here's a little more info...

The TV is a KDL-37XBR6. The DVR is in a cabinet and the TV sits on top... Here is a pic (with the old plasma)... http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14478&d=1215281053

I don't really have the option of moving it 'feet' away with this setup...

I have tried opening the glass thinking that maybe it was reflecting something back onto the IR lens... but it doesn't seem to matter whether the glass is open or not...

The TV has some sort of auto dimming feature (which is really cool by the way)... it responds to ambient light, and adjusts the brightness accordingly... so at night, when the lights are out in the room, the brightness is already about as low as I would want to take it... And, strangely enough, that's when I seem to have the most issues... It doesn't really seem to be as bad during the day...

Also, I read somewhere that it can improve after the TV has been on for a while... which does seem to hold some truth...

FWIW, it's working fine right now with the lights on in the room and the brightness level pretty high... But the past three nights, it's been atrocious... Even after the TV has been on for a good while.. (30-45 min. +)

As Smoke suggested, I will try moving it forward and backward some in the cabinet to see if that helps at all... If that doesn't work, I guess I may have to buy an 890... since I'm using a Harmony 880, RF isn't an option...

Thanks again everyone...

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Interesting, most of my experiences with this have come from Plasma sets, not LCDs.

It really is a model by model basis though. As others have suggested, turning down the brightness and better location of the IR receiver are the main things that can help.

The Harmony 890 is also a good option to overcome the issue.

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
Wow, IR interference is a common phenomena of Plasmas..... Have rarely ever seen an LCD cause this.

The HR's IR wavelength must be really low.

I would kill the auto dimming as Robert suggested.

So Air.... What did you end up getting?

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
AirRocker said:
Why? I like it... :grin:
The auto brightness is a cool feature, my set is in our Florida(family) room which mostly glass, so the room light changes like night and day, and the brightness on the screen is always comfortable. I couldn't see how turning the auto feature off would help, although it does control the backlight which is florescent. Hope you figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,082 Posts
Grentz said:
Interesting, most of my experiences with this have come from Plasma sets, not LCDs.

It really is a model by model basis though. As others have suggested, turning down the brightness and better location of the IR receiver are the main things that can help.

The Harmony 890 is also a good option to overcome the issue.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Note that Auto backlight does not always mean it is changing brightness based on the room light level. Many times on LCDs auto backlight is actually automatic based on input content as I found out with my Samsung LCD. It dynamically adjusts the backlight to proper suit the input picture and has nothing to do with the actual room brightness.

One way to find this out is to see if your TV actually has a brightness sensor, if it does that usually means it is controlling auto brightness off of the room it is in, if it does not it usually means auto brightness is referring to brightness control based on input content.

Jason Nipp said:
The picture is not showing for me :(

·
Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
If I take a samll flashlight and shine it near the the pilot light(botton corner) rhe screen brightens immediately. The LCD's that adjust the backlight based on the scene content are the newest sets with LED powered backlights, I beleive.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
davring said:
If I take a samll flashlight and shine it near the the pilot light(botton corner) rhe screen brightens immediately. The LCD's that adjust the backlight based on the scene content are the newest sets with LED powered backlights, I beleive.
Yup, you have a brightness sensor then and nope it's not just newer ones or ones with LED backlights, mine has the standard CCFL backlight.

In any case, I would rather have one with a true brightness sensor so you are lucky! I have a very bright living room and it would be nice to have it auto adjust, the content based adjustment I have found to be pretty worthless in actual use so I turned it off after a few weeks.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.