DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While tweaking the dish this weekend, I noticed it has gotten a bit grimy the past year. It's on a porch roof with a big white oak towers over it so it 's subjected to a lot of tree realted debris, rain splatter, acorns, etc through the seasons. I got to wondering if keeping a dish washed clean would have any measurable impact on reception.

Just a random thought...... :)

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09
2,390 Posts
tkrandall said:
While tweaking the dish this weekend, I noticed it has gotten a bit grimy the past year. It's on a porch roof with a big white oak towers over it so it 's subjected to a lot of tree realted debris, rain splatter, acorns, etc through the seasons. I got to wondering if keeping a dish washed clean would have any measurable impact on reception.

I don't know the technical aspects of the reflection - I imagine it could - not sure if that wavelength is affected by debris? But you have to believe a clean dish is a happy dish at the very least :D.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
tkrandall said:

A clean dish is a more reflective dish. perhaps as much as 5 pts

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
I don't think it makes a difference really. I've seen dishes with years of soot; other with half a bucket of cement or even graffiti and no problems with signal.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Mertzen said:
I don't think it makes a difference really. I've seen dishes with years of soot; other with half a bucket of cement or even graffiti and no problems with signal.
Mertzen, I have seen a difference. However Soot, and Spray Paint are normally transparent to Microwaves. Not sure Cement is.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
I have crows that sit on my AT9 and crap on it when I'm not home. (They might be working for "Ec-CAW-star.")

It looks bad, but it's a long way from a water source, so I've never cleaned it.

It might just be time for an experiment, since my 99c signals are not as strong as I would like.

· Godfather
499 Posts
paulman182 said:
I have crows that sit on my AT9 and crap on it when I'm not home.
So when you are at home, they just sit there smiling at you like little angles? Must be the same two magpies that are in the Windex commercial. :)

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
I would say that a very, very dirty dish may slightly lower signal quality, but we'd have to be talking about a really dirty dish. Enough dirt on there could slightly impact reflection off the dish onto an LNB. When cleaning the dish, if doing so, be very careful to not move it out of alignment.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
paulman182 said:
I have crows that sit on my AT9 and crap on it when I'm not home. (They might be working for "Ec-CAW-star.")

It looks bad, but it's a long way from a water source, so I've never cleaned it.

It might just be time for an experiment, since my 99c signals are not as strong as I would like.
we once had a cat..... HE liked the windows. We did not like the cat. We put down HO scale railroad track on the window ledge. One rail connected to ground. the other connected to an electric fence unit. Cat got the point. Too bad you cannot do the same for Crows.

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Anyone that has had a BUD and had to sweep snow out of/off the dish knows that stuff on the dish can affect signal quality.

Anyone that has had a BUD and a wife/girlfriend who would do the sweeping knows they found themselves a keeper.

· Banned
2,179 Posts
paulman182 said:

We have this same problems with birds :eek2: They seem to love our D* dish :rolleyes: Our dish is up high so we would have to get out a ladder to clean it so we never have :nono: Plus bird droppings can led to disease so we would have to be very careful how we cleaned it!

· Hall Of Fame
1,336 Posts
I don't know i don't do dishes so i never cleaned mine but what i do is before winter i spray it with silicone,it helps keep the snow off. I also have problems with birds they like to use the dish for target practice.But remember a clean dish is a happy dish.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
gfrang said:
I don't know i don't do dishes so i never cleaned mine but what i do is before winter i spray it with silicone,it helps keep the snow off. I also have problems with birds they like to use the dish for target practice.But remember a clean dish is a happy dish.
yes, and a bird that roosts on the dish and then gets shocked is less likely to roost next time. (assuming that birds act simular to cats...The cat never came back) (Read my earlier post)

· Hall Of Fame
1,886 Posts
rudeney said:
I guess it would take quite a bit of voltage to keep birds off the dish. 110 volts is generally not enough to keep them off the power lines. :)
Birds can sit on 10,000 volt or higher power lines so long as they don't ground themselves or touch both lines simultaneously.
:D

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
rudeney said:
I guess it would take quite a bit of voltage to keep birds off the dish. 110 volts is generally not enough to keep them off the power lines. :)
two lines (railroad track) one grounded, the other hot. 12 volts on a set of capacitors will pop them right off. This would also cure Squirrel and owl fade.. I have also seen rather large birds land on three phase lines, accidently touch one of the other three wires (top wire, and brush a side wire with their wings or tail feathers) and Bang, the bird is charcoal and the power company has to come out and replace all the breaker fuses.

· Mentor
34 Posts
A kinder and more gentle method requires a trip to you local hobby store to buy a roll of double stick servo and radio tape. Place it along the top edge of your dish. It does have to be replaced from time to time but it's VERY EFFECTIVE. It resembles tar, very sticky.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.