DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over at Swann's web site in http://www.tvpredictions.com/dtvpicture011107.htm he says a VP at D* has said "He added that DIRECTV's picture quality will improve even more when it switches entirely to the MPEG4 compression system later this year." Is this a preannouncement that all the MPEG2 boxes will need to be replaced this year, or is it the usual screwup by a VP not knowing what he's talking about??? If true I can see a bunch of busy installers this year.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
Yes, it's been the plan for 3 years now.
It's been known for a long time that the MPEG2 HD boxes (like the HR10) cannot receive the MPEG4 channels off the new sats.

You have to have a 5 LNB dish and either an H20 or HR20 (DVR) to get the MPEG4 HD channels.

Again, it's been in the works a long time and the replacement cycle has already begun by only having MPEG4 capable receivers available and by putting up the HD locals and HD RSN many have converted on their own. Once they start putting up new HD later this year you'll see a flood of converts, again on their own. By this time next year they won't have all that many people they will have to force to convert. At least that's the plan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bonscott87 said:
Yes, it's been the plan for 3 years now.
It's been known for a long time that the MPEG2 HD boxes (like the HR10) cannot receive the MPEG4 channels off the new sats.

You have to have a 5 LNB dish and either an H20 or HR20 (DVR) to get the MPEG4 HD channels.

Again, it's been in the works a long time and the replacement cycle has already begun by only having MPEG4 capable receivers available and by putting up the HD locals and HD RSN many have converted on their own. Once they start putting up new HD later this year you'll see a flood of converts, again on their own. By this time next year they won't have all that many people they will have to force to convert. At least that's the plan.
But I've never seen D* say that all MPEG2 HD content would be converted to MPEG4 in 2007. If he's correct in his statement you'd think that they'd want to make an official announcement ASAP so folks can start replacing all their old hardware to get ready for this.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Actually, they kinda announced that last year... in press releases and stuff, that they where switching... and thay would swap out receivers...
And they have already proactively started to swap on the West Coast.

I think a lot hinges on the SAT launches...
It is "possible" that during a "transition" time, they would run both.. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 versions.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Note... I modified the title of the thread, to include the mention of the TVPredictions article.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,189 Posts
What will eventually happen to all the none HD content in MPEG2.

I wonder how many think that by 2009 that all digital broadcast will be HD. I think many will be disappointed.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
That is probably the #1 misconception of what the 2009 "deadline" means.
Has nothing to do what the signal contains... just how the signal is broadcasted.

As for what will happen to the SD-MPEG2 nothing.
Until DirecTV is willing to repalce 30+ MILLION receivers... and right now, there is no reason to.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
It is "possible" that during a "transition" time, they would run both.. MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 versions.
I'm sure they will do this. As soon as the first sat is ready, uplink the current MPEG2 Hd channels to the new sat in MPEG4. Makes a good test. Then add new channels at will. But leave the MPEG2 HD alone until you reach whatever critical mass of swaps they want to have, then shut them down.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
367 Posts
I think at some point it would be in D*'s best interest to hand out MPEG4 HD boxes no matter if you want HD or not. Of course cost is a major consideration but I gotta believe that at some point, MPEG4 will be the standard and its better to cross that bridge now then later. Of course, I havent seen the break-even point of the cost benefit analysis to know when that should occur. As for replacement of 30 million boxes, that certainly wont happen but not a bad idea to trim them down by gradual attrition with all new customers and break-fix box replacements.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
bonscott87 said:
I'm sure they will do this. As soon as the first sat is ready, uplink the current MPEG2 Hd channels to the new sat in MPEG4. Makes a good test. Then add new channels at will. But leave the MPEG2 HD alone until you reach whatever critical mass of swaps they want to have, then shut them down.
I agree, it's what I expect to happen as well.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
262 Posts
I cant imgaine the varietry of boxes out there in circulation given the way they used to be produced by many diff manufacturers.

I've got a Phillips Based SD TIVO, two small Sony receivers and the new HR20.

There must be a hundred iterations out there from the 1990's....
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
Well, the easy thing here is that there aren't all that many HD subs in total, maybe 1 and a half million? The H20 has been the only non-DVR HD box available for over a year now and all those are MPEG4. So all you gotta swap out are HD-Tivo owners and owners of the older pre-H20 boxes. As we've seen over the past few months, a lot of those owners (myself includes) are upgrading on our own to MPEG4 boxes.

DirecTV isn't touching the SD boxes, only HD ones.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
902 Posts
Mr. Swann (of TV Predictions) is not the most accurate source of news for DTV either. Chase Carey (CEO of DTV) also made a statement to the effect that keeping the MPEG2 HD boxes is service as long as possible would be to the benefit of DTV and was their intended plan (i.e., don't expect it to happen in 2007). That comment was from CES just a couple of days ago.

His statement indicated the longer they wait to swap out the MPEG2 HD boxes with MPEG4, the cheaper it is for DTV (production costs continue to fall). This subject has been around nearly as long as the discussion of DTV going to MPEG4 and Chase's comments seem, to me at least, to be the most direct statement from a person who certainly should know: this is not a fast plan with a firm date.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
morgantown said:
Mr. Swann (of TV Predictions) is not the most accurate source of news for DTV either. Chase Carey (CEO of DTV) also made a statement to the effect that keeping the MPEG2 HD boxes is service as long as possible would be to the benefit of DTV and was their intended plan (i.e., don't expect it to happen in 2007). That comment was from CES just a couple of days ago.

His statement indicated the longer they wait to swap out the MPEG2 HD boxes with MPEG4, the cheaper it is for DTV (production costs continue to fall). This subject has been around nearly as long as the discussion of DTV going to MPEG4 and Chase's comments seem, to me at least, to be the most direct statement from a person who certainly should know: this is not a fast plan with a firm date.
And if all goes according to plan... with all the new HD being on the MPEG-4 side... more people are going to be willing to upgrade on their own... which leads to lower costs when they have to upgrade everyone at cut-off date.
 

·
DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
581 Posts
Well this would mean a end to all the TiVo boxes for D*
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
Reggie3 said:
Well this would mean a end to all the TiVo boxes for D*
Earl Bonovich said:
And only the SAT-HD aspect of it.
Exactly. Even if all the national HD content is switched to MPEG4, my HR10-250 still does SD MPEG2, but more importantly HD OTA. I'm not giving up my HR10-250s any time soon. Most of what I'm recording now (and granted, that's because that is mostly what is actually available in HD at present) is OTA network HD programming.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top