DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I ask is that my 2 year old HR10 is dying. I called DTV and they are sending me a replacement for free. DTV said if the distribution center in my region has any HR10s that is what I will get. If not, I will receive a HR20? Even though I would not mind getting another HR10 a HR20 upgrade for free would be nice too.

Any idea on what model do you think I will receive in 1 to 2 days?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
HR10's stopped production about 18 months ago.

Back in August, DirecTV announced that they where no offering the units.

Since then it has been hit or miss on what replacement unit you will get, with more and more being the HR20... as the HR10 is basically.... gone.

You most likely will get an HR20

· Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong here but it does not seem realistic to me at all that anyone would get an HR10 at this point. Think about it. Even if the installers had them they would have used them when D* was all sold out of HR20s. Also so many people wanted HR10s to avoid the HR20 that i am sure they have to be all out at this point.

Is it fair to say that the only way to get an HR10 now would be through a re-sellar or on Ebay?

· Icon
528 Posts
Mixer said:
Correct me if I am wrong here but it does not seem realistic to me at all that anyone would get an HR10 at this point. Think about it. Even if the installers had them they would have used them when D* was all sold out of HR20s. Also so many people wanted HR10s to avoid the HR20 that i am sure they have to be all out at this point.

Is it fair to say that the only way to get an HR10 now would be through a re-sellar or on Ebay?
Depends if it is on the protection plan or not. They might have refurbished units,
you return the non-working unit when you receive the refurb. unit.
That would keep some units available.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
I have seen those prices...

I may have to go and "take back" my HR10 that I gave to my brother.

· Mentor
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big shock. I received a HR20 yesterday. The thing is the seal was broken and the access card was missing. I am assuming that I will have to move my access card from my dying HR10 to the HR20.

Are access cards worth that much that they do not send them if you are replacing a receiver?

· Godfather
343 Posts
My HR10-250 is in the newspaper starting tomorrow. I don't trust ebay. :nono:

· Super Moderator
12,438 Posts
I suspect the prices for HR10's will drop significantly as soon as a new nationwide HD channel is added in MPEG4.

Anyone want to speculate on when DirecTV will start moving existing HD feeds over to MPEG4, and if they will simulcast them for any amount of time once they start doing that?

Carl

· Icon
798 Posts
bryantlc said:
Big shock. I received a HR20 yesterday. The thing is the seal was broken and the access card was missing. I am assuming that I will have to move my access card from my dying HR10 to the HR20.

Are access cards worth that much that they do not send them if you are replacing a receiver?
----------
This is a obvious re-furb....the cards cost $ 20.00, but D* SHOULD have
provided you with one at no cost...call them and they should overnight ship one to you free.....also the broken seal could mean trouble for you in any
future troubles....ask them to note the fact that the unit they sent you
has a broken seal in case you need to return it!!

8 Posts
A friend of mine just had a new DirecTV hookup right before Christmas at a new home in northern Florida. He received an HR10-250 for his HD DVR. I was really surprised when he told me this so I did grill him a bit to make sure. He wasn't asking for anything specific (he's never had DirecTV or a Tivo or any other DVR or, heck, even cable) just multiple drop points where some had to be HD and one of those which had to be an HD DVR. Sure enough, the HD DVR was in fact the 'old' Tivo unit. He said they explained to him that there were 'problems' with the new unit and they were giving him the 'old' one until they had it all worked out.

So I guess it just depends on where you are and what kind of availability/supply is there.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
bryantlc said:
I once received a replacement D11 standard receiver, and it did not have an access card. Yes, D* wants you to reuse the old card.

They try to keep to a minimum the number of cards in circulation, dating back the days of hackers pirating the service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.