DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is an open-ended question, I wanted to get people's input on their personal usage of Dish. I'm a Dish customer and am considering upgrading to the VIP622, but that brings me up to 80/month...and I have a hard time justifying that kind of cost to watch television. At times I feel like I should just cancel and use my antenna, watching hdtv for free on local channels. I'd love to have the dvr, but....$1,000 a year is nothing to sneeze at.

So I'm looking for people's opinions and experiences with Dish. Is the cost a non-issue for you? What keeps you entertained as a subscriber?

· Legend
221 Posts
Impossible to answer but a simple calculation could help you decide.

Hours a mouth you watch HDTV (not OTA) / 80. Then compare this figure to the cost other activities per hour that you enjoy doing.

· Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
I think it depends on how much you would spend watching HD on channels other than your local networks. I think that having a good OTA antenna is a good insurance policy no matter what, so you could try out HD that way. Then if the allure of the extra-cool HD channels on Dish gets to be too much, you can take the plunge.

About the cost vs. no time to watch, the way I see it is that because I don't have much time to watch TV, then I want to make darn sure that something really, really good is available when I do have time. Figure out what's most important to you and make a choice you'll be happy with.

· Legend
152 Posts
The DVR is what allows me to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. I can watch more of what I like than I would be able to otherwise -- programs that conflict with others I watch and programs that are on when I am not able to be in front of the TV. I also catch some movies in HD that I missed on the big screen and usually have one or two sitting on the DVR for those times I feel like watching a good movie but didn't or don't want to rent one. The Timers make sure I never miss an episode of a favorite program if it switches days and/or times or resumes for the new season. I am watching only the programming and buzzing through all commercials -- I can almost watch 2 programs in the time I would normally spend to watch 1 when the commercials are removed. Because I control exactly what I watch and when I watch it, and my TV time is maximized by skipping commercials, I have time to watch some interesting things on the stations I pay for but might not otherwise watch. While we may do lots of things in the course of a week, in terms of hours spent, TV is still our major source of entertainment and we have many favorite programs that we don't like to miss. We watch between 3 and 4 hours of TV a day and my monthly bill is $115 in round numbers -- following the method suggested above, the $1.28 a day I pay for TV is a good deal!

· Beware the Attack Basset
25,986 Posts
Compared to what investing in a Series 3 TiVo gets you, it may seem like a steal.

A three year contract with a Series 3 TiVo is just under $1,200 (including the TiVo) and you would have only a handful of channels to use it on. If you need to add a subscription NetFlix or rental fees for movies, the numbers come even closer together. Someone from Dallas, Texas certainly has a lot more content available than someone from Dallas, Oregon so YMMV.

If your time is important to you, having a DVR is even more important with broadcast television. You can save yourself at least 15 minutes/hour (almost 20 minutes if you're diligent) in front of the TV if you skip/slip through most of the commercials.

· Icon
522 Posts
I'm adding to my computer so that it will record local HDTV; Ill be using it for DVD palyback also.

Base system is an a simple Athlon XP3200 and an old Geforce FX5200 graphics card.

If it works out, I'll be dropping local channels from Dish.

Bob

· Legend
155 Posts
As long as I can afford it, the $1000 per year for HD and a DVR is worth it to me. Moving up to a 622 is as much as $32 a month more than a 301 ($20 HD, $6 rcr, $6 dvr), which amounts to 3/8s the bill
I just upgraded from an 811 to the 622 and although I'm not using the DVR much (compared to next to nothing with the 811 - VCR), it is nice to have. I have recorded shows that I didn't have the time to watch when they were shown, and can watch later.

Someone has to contribute to pay Regis Philbin and Katie Couric's $20M+ annual salary, and Terrel Owen's egomania. I'm just doing my part.

· Beware the Attack Basset
25,986 Posts
robert koerner said:
I'm adding to my computer so that it will record local HDTV; Ill be using it for DVD palyback also.
It comes down to the guide information.

My nVidia display adapter has real troubles producing a 1920x1080i (and even more troubles producing the display mode required by my 22" wide screen computer display).

· Mentor
48 Posts
No it's not worth it. I watch about 10 stations and most the Voom stuff is worthless. Can't get locals in HD so I'm about to (heaven forbid) switch back to cable. Also wait until you have to deal with a CSR from Dish..........NITEMARE! :nono2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.