DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to make the change to HD and have a question. I have a 4900 and 3900 rec. now and want to change one to the 211 hd rec. E* tells me to upgrade it will cost 79.99 plus hd programming to change. But they tell me I will have to pay 6.00 lease fee for the 211 plus 5.00 for the extra sd rec. I will be using. Is this correct. If so would it not be better to just buy the 211 outright and avoid the 6.00 lease fee. I thought I would just have to pay the 59.00 for the hd programming and 5.00 for the extra rec. Any help?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
If you lease you pay a "lease fee"... if you own you would pay an "additional receiver fee". No difference really whether you own or lease when it comes to the total of your final bill.

Some folks have a different upgrade path than others... but there is almost always some up-front cost (like $49 or $80 or whatever) to upgrade to one of the newer HD receivers.

There are some $10-for-10-month rebates, though, when you subscribe to the new DishHD channel packages that takes some of the sting out of the up-front cost when upgrading.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
4tide1 said:
But they tell me I will have to pay 6.00 lease fee for the 211 plus 5.00 for the extra sd rec. I will be using. Is this correct. If so would it not be better to just buy the 211 outright and avoid the 6.00 lease fee. I thought I would just have to pay the 59.00 for the hd programming and 5.00 for the extra rec. Any help?
The $6 lease and $5 extra receiver fees would be correct if you kept both of your current receivers for a total of 3 receivers. If you told them you didn't want to send a 4900 back to them for a $10 credit, they might be thinking the 211 isn't going to replace a receiver. It would also be the correct amount if you happened to have signed up under one of the older initial lease plans. They paid $5 for all receiveivers - not just the 2nd, 3rd, ...

The ViP receivers are $6 to lease and $6 as an extra receiver fee so you wouldn't be saving anything to purchase it. If it was going to be your ONLY receiver on the account, you would save $6/month if you did purchase instead of lease.

I'd suggest you login to "My Account" at the DISH website and click on Equipment to see what your offer indicates. Some people are offered a 211 for $49 instead of the $79 you listed - but everybody doesn't see identical upgrade offers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.