DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Sat

and yes, everyone by now should have 0xE3
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
92 Posts
Sat. The phone line only authorizes the box to be able to do a software download. I hope in the future they add the functionality to connect it to your LAN and get the updates via internet.


Lowry
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Lowry666 said:
Sat. The phone line only authorizes the box to be able to do a software download. I hope in the future they add the functionality to connect it to your LAN and get the updates via internet.

Lowry
With the HR20... the phone line has nothing to do with authorizing.
That is a TiVo thing.

The entire process is done via the SAT.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
Lowry666 said:
Oops, my bad. So they only use it for PPV?

Lowry
Yep... and to verify service address.
But they have use the later in sometime.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Yep... and to verify service address.
But they have use the later in sometime.
I called to change my address a month in advance before moving. Had no problems with my HR20. I think the phone is for PPV. People on RV's don't usually use the phone, so if they did verify address via phone, the campers would be really having a hard time.

I use my cell phone for my DirecTV account. I use my different house phone number to connect to DirecTV, which DirecTV doesn't know. Both my HR10 and HR20 authorize OK for updates and PPV purchases.

What's important is that it is connected to a phone line, it doesn't matter what phone number it is.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
777 Posts
Actually, if they see calls coming in from your CAM number with a phone number that is not associated with your account, it will sometimes raise a red flag.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,092 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
I called to change my address a month in advance before moving. Had no problems with my HR20. I think the phone is for PPV. People on RV's don't usually use the phone, so if they did verify address via phone, the campers would be really having a hard time.

I use my cell phone for my DirecTV account. I use my different house phone number to connect to DirecTV, which DirecTV doesn't know. Both my HR10 and HR20 authorize OK for updates and PPV purchases.

What's important is that it is connected to a phone line, it doesn't matter what phone number it is.
It has been a LONG time since they have been enforcing the phone line / address match application.

I doubt they will ever do it again, but back in the day... it was fairly common.
Sunday Ticket would black out about 30 minutes in, unless you had it plugged into the correct phone line.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top