DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new here, but have been reading the posts for quite some time. I need some advice, opinions on a new receiver I activated today.

I recently purchased a new, unused, H20 from a popular auction site. It just arrived today, so of course I hooked it up to a new LCD HDTV I got last week for our bedroom.

I hooked everything up then went through the guided setup, with no problems. I then called D* to activate the new receiver. While I was talking with the CSR she mentioned something about my leased boxes at which time I explained to her that only one of my boxes was leased (HR10-250), and also that I had purchased the H20 that I was activating from a private individual. She said that no matter where I got it that it would be considered leased because I was activating it now.

I accepted that and continued until everything was squared away. But the more I thought about it tonight, the more it just wasn't making any sense to me. I purchased this the way I did so I would own this box.

Of course my question is should this be considered leased or owned, and if it should be considered owned what should I do to get this corrected?

Thanks in advance for your help.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
Any new activation done now is done as "leased" (the software the CSRs use may not even allow an activation as "owned"). If there is a chance that it could be considered "owned", you will need to call D* and ask to be transferred to the Access Card department - they are the only ones that will be able to reclassify the receiver as owned, if it indeed should be.

I know of few "private individuals" that will be selling new, unused H20s, though there certainly can be. There are also merchants that sell new D* equipment on eBay. Basically, if the cost of the unit you purchased was subsidized in any way by D*, the unit is a lease. You will need to call the Access Card department and explain the situation to them. If they determine it is owned, they will make the change.

It is a fairly common thing these days that upon any activation of a unit that should be considered "owned", a call needs to be placed to the Access Card department to get the unit reclassified.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
439 Posts
Seriously doubt it will be considered owned, as the auction site may be allowed to funtion as a directv outlet, but those receivers would be a great deal more expensive if the purchase price was for owned, not leased...what auction site was it?
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
545 Posts
BlueSnake said:
Of course my question is should this be considered leased or owned, and if it should be considered owned what should I do to get this corrected?

Thanks in advance for your help.
BlueSnake

Does it realy make a whole lot of dif? You pay the same monthly fee if it's not the primary rcvr. If it's leased, and it fails for some reason, they'll replace it! If you leave D* it's of no further use to you anyway, except maybe to sell it to recover some of your initial investment. In the end, they may not ask for it back, who knows!
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
832 Posts
BlueSnake - I got my H20 pretty much the same way you did, if not exactly the same way. At the time I bought it I was a bit put off by the idea of not owning my equipment. Indeed, I followed the instructions of the authorized dealer I bought the unit from and D* registered the H20 as owned. It took one extra transfer from the original CSR but the second one took the information the dealer supplied me and that was it. In retrospect I don't think it was very smart of me. Truth is that, short of being able to resell the H20, there is no advantage at all to owning the unit. The monthly charge of either mirroring or leasing only applies to units other than the primary. You only pay one or the other, not both, but you do pay one of them regardless if the unit is owned or leased. Right now I'm a few weeks away from the end of the warantee on my H20 at which time it becomes if it breaks, for all practical purposes, a silver doorstop. If I'd registered it as a leased unit then D* would still be covering it. And before I get beat about the head and shoulders with the "do you really think you own it?" business I've actually asked D* if I can switch the H20 back to leased and they've said "no, too far into the warantee period". They clearly show I "own" the H20.....stupid, stupid, stupid.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
436 Posts
Right now I'm a few weeks away from the end of the warantee on my H20 at which time it becomes if it breaks, for all practical purposes, a silver doorstop. If I'd registered it as a leased unit then D* would still be covering it.
Is this true? I thought regardless of lease or owned if it broke and you were not paying for the monthly equipment protection you are SOL.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
103 Posts
spunkyvision said:
Is this true? I thought regardless of lease or owned if it broke and you were not paying for the monthly equipment protection you are SOL.
Leased equipment maintenance is covered by DirecTV.

Richard
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
I was told the following:

The protection plan covers everything, including the receiver, dish, wiring, and realignment.

Without the protection plan, DTV will replace defective leased receivers out of warranty for a $19.95 shipping and handling fee.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
832 Posts
OK. Maybe it's the all the same but here is what I was told. Since I have two owned units I could get the protection plan for both units and all the assorted wiring, dish, etc. That's kind of a separate issue from having a leased piece of equipment. If it's a leased unit, again according to two CSR's I talked to, then it's covered under the lease program. Yes, you might have to pay shipping and handling to get a new unit sent to you but that would be all you'd pay if it was like for like equipment. They both allowed that even then they'd probably throw in some kind of short term cut in your monthly charges to offset even the S&H charge so it basically would be "free". You don't need the protection plan to cover leased equipment. One more time though.....this is according to the two CSR's I've talked to about this and therefore is subject to change. :D
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
832 Posts
In the "old" days when we all owned our equipment there was (actually still is) a charge for any unit above your primary unit. This charge was called the mirroring charge as they "mirrored" the second, and subsequent units, with the same data as the primary. (In fact, somebody can probably correct me but when I started D* back in 1998 with two units I think the extra charge was called something like the "additional unit" charge and the term "mirroring" came along later. ????) Now we still have the mirroring charge for owned second and subsequent units but have a lease fee for leased equipment but no mirroring fee. For all practical purposes they've replaced the mirror fee with the lease fee, it's just a way to collect additional money for additional units so the name doesn't mean much.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
randyk47 said:
BlueSnake - I got my H20 pretty much the same way you did, if not exactly the same way. At the time I bought it I was a bit put off by the idea of not owning my equipment. Indeed, I followed the instructions of the authorized dealer I bought the unit from and D* registered the H20 as owned. It took one extra transfer from the original CSR but the second one took the information the dealer supplied me and that was it. In retrospect I don't think it was very smart of me. Truth is that, short of being able to resell the H20, there is no advantage at all to owning the unit. The monthly charge of either mirroring or leasing only applies to units other than the primary. You only pay one or the other, not both, but you do pay one of them regardless if the unit is owned or leased. Right now I'm a few weeks away from the end of the warantee on my H20 at which time it becomes if it breaks, for all practical purposes, a silver doorstop. If I'd registered it as a leased unit then D* would still be covering it. And before I get beat about the head and shoulders with the "do you really think you own it?" business I've actually asked D* if I can switch the H20 back to leased and they've said "no, too far into the warantee period". They clearly show I "own" the H20.....stupid, stupid, stupid.
You're probably right. Now that I've seen everyone's feedback it seems better to have it leased.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top