Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Legend
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am a long time reader but first time poster to these forums.
Let me first thank all of you for the information you have provided us and a very special thanks to Earl.

I have been considering switching from my Directv/Tivo unit to the hr20 for a long time. The reason I have not switched earlier has been my HD locals have been getting delayed in my market (Grand Rapids Michigan).
Now that we finally have CBS, ABC and Fox here I would like to make the move. However I do have concerns about the reliability issues with the hr20.
So here is what I would like to know.

1.What do I need the installer to have when he arrives for the install? I know a 5 lbn dish, the hr20 itself and I understand some kind of zinwell switch.

2.Do you feel the time to switch is now? It appears that the reliability issues are clearing up, do you agree.

3.I know all about playing csr roulette when it comes to price negotiating with directv

thanks
Bay CIty

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jayvista said:
Any reasons for that "no"...

As I can easily say YES, with no explanation, but that doesn't help the OP make his/her decision

·
Legend
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Any reasons for that "no"...

As I can easily say YES, with no explanation, but that doesn't help the OP make his/her decision
Earl what about my question #1 about what the installer should bring with him and do?
thanks

·
Godfather
257 Posts
These internet discussion forums are a blessing and a curse at the same time. While offering a place to come and get answers to questions, it also can magnify the number of problems with the particular device being discussed. While I have no first hand experience with the HR20, my latest experience with the recent update of the HR10 (DirecTiVo) to software version 6.3a is a good case in point. If you read the forums for the HR10, you would think that anyone who updated their DVR to the latest software release would be crazy. There are a number of people reporting problems after installing that new software. I took a chance and haven't experienced any problems with the update and actually it fixed some nagging problems I had.

Again, the majority of the discussion about problems with the new software drown out the apparently few that don't have problems. Does that mean that there are more people out there with problems, I don't know. So back to the HR20. This forum is loaded with discussions about how bad the HR20 is for them. There are few that respond with good reports. All I can say, and again I have no experience with the HR20, if it has the features that you are looking for in a DVR, then give it a shot. But be sure to ask about the return policy.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Bay CIty said:
Earl what about my question #1 about what the installer should bring with him and do?
thanks
That is exactly what the installer should at least minimally bring and do.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Bay CIty said:
Hi
I am a long time reader but first time poster to these forums.
Let me first thank all of you for the information you have provided us and a very special thanks to Earl.

I have been considering switching from my Directv/Tivo unit to the hr20 for a long time. The reason I have not switched earlier has been my HD locals have been getting delayed in my market (Grand Rapids Michigan).
Now that we finally have CBS, ABC and Fox here I would like to make the move. However I do have concerns about the reliability issues with the hr20.
So here is what I would like to know.

1.What do I need the installer to have when he arrives for the install? I know a 5 lbn dish, the hr20 itself and I understand some kind of zinwell switch.

2.Do you feel the time to switch is now? It appears that the reliability issues are clearing up, do you agree.

3.I know all about playing csr roulette when it comes to price negotiating with directv

thanks
Bay CIty
Get the HR20 it is sweet.

Make sure to call the install office and have them bring a WB68. This will allow you to make up to 8 connections to your dish. Comes in handy as you start adding DVR's.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Bay CIty said:
thanks
The HR20
5LNB dish
Zinwell WB68 switch (should you need one, but since it's free I'd get it anyway)
And whatever else comes with a free install (running cables to the dish, etc.)

·
Legend
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bonscott87 said:
The HR20
5LNB dish
Zinwell WB68 switch (should you need one, but since it's free I'd get it anyway)
And whatever else comes with a free install (running cables to the dish, etc.)
Thanks, I think I will go ahead and get the hr20 now that I have HD locals in my market I can put my HDTV to better use. Outdoor signals poor from my location. So does the hr20 have any over the air viewing issues?
thanks again everyone

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I've been rather happy with my two since the beginning. They have been my primary viewing source since Sept. 27, 2006. There were some gotchas early on that I experienced. The biggest gotcha (for me) was a problem with the way Fast Forward and Rewind worked. Fortunately, this problem only lasted 1 week. Others have experienced lost shows and other weirdness.

The best indicator of all is that the Wife Approval Factor of the HR20 is improving. She has moved from "I hate these things" to "they're not too bad now - DirecTV seems to be fixing the problems." She still likes the TiVo better, but the HR20 interface is a close rather than distant second now.

If this is your ONLY way to get HD (no HR10 - OTA), then I would say go for it. HD for me trumps the little problems I've faced.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Bay CIty said:
Thanks, I think I will go ahead and get the hr20 now that I have HD locals in my market I can put my HDTV to better use. Outdoor signals poor from my location. So does the hr20 have any over the air viewing issues?
thanks again everyone
No, it doesn't have any issues with OTA; except that OTA has not been enabled yet. ;)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,423 Posts
Bay CIty said:
So does the hr20 have any over the air viewing issues?
The biggest OTA issue with the HR20 is that it doesn't do it... yet. Whether there are other issues once it is enabled will have to wait until they enable it via a software update. The current story has OTA coming in Q1 2007.

·
Legend
192 Posts
I've had mine for about six weeks now and absolutely love it. I have not had the problems other's mention here, but maybe I'm not using all the features to it's potential. Who knows. I schedule recordings and they happen. Playback is fine.

I would get one again.

·
Legend
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
harsh said:
The biggest OTA issue with the HR20 is that it doesn't do it... yet. Whether there are other issues once it is enabled will have to wait until they enable it via a software update. The current story has OTA coming in Q1 2007.
sorry I misstated my question I meant
Does the hr20 have any issues while viewing HD locals via satellite?

·
9 Posts
I can also confirm that yes, its safe to purchase. I found one at my local CircuitCity and decided what the hell, let me try it out. I booted it up for the first time, it downloaded the latest software, I reset it and so far so good.

·
Founder
17,326 Posts
I would say it is safe to get the HR20. I have had a few hiccups but overall it works good. Just know that there are still a few bugs that need to be worked out. Generally though, the HR20 should serve you well.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Bay City,

Welcome to the bright side of no longer lurking! :welcome_s

As you've seen in the very good responses already here, have the installer bring

5lnb
HR20
6x8 multiswitch

I suggest ADDing the HR20 to your system, helps justify the switch and...it will give you the DTivo as a short-term backup unit. Until you get used to the HR20 (shouldn't take but a minute) and until the HR20 is stable for you.

You may be very luck and its stable from Day 1. You may not be lucky and its stable with the next release (which would hopefully mean you aren't very unlucky, since it will be out soon.) With this release, my units have been much more stable. Got all the NFL that I tried to record yesterday.

Good luck, have fun, and we'll be seeing you on the forums,
Tom

·
DBSTalk Club Member
105 Posts
For me, it wasn't an issue of reliability. With the earlier versions of the software I had only missed one recording. I just didn't think the thing was that usable. FF was really slow, and 30 slip was terrible. But since the EF release the thing is quite usable and I now use it more than my Tivo. Just keep in mind that it does not have dual live buffers (if you use them on your Tivo).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.