DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, I first received my HR20 in November. I had many issues (I was unfamiliar with this forum at the time) that now seem to be issues many people have had. Eventually D* agreed to replace it.

When my refurbished replacement unit arrived, it did not even power up. I insisted on a new one and they agreed if I find one locally, I will be reimbursed. Now, in the interim, and after a few updates including the 'Elvis' release, I have to say my HR20 has improved a lot.

At this time I am experiencing the reboot issue when using 30 second slip, and I tried to record a PPV for a buddy a while back and got the infamous immediate 'do u wish to delete'?

Now, to come full circle...Today I found and picked up another HR20 from Best Buy. How many of these things are actually hardware issues? It sure seems if I take the time and energy to swap out my receivers, it could be a lateral move at best. I'm completely torn. So, please chime in...Is it worth it to try a replacement box?

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
rysand said:
Long story short, I first received my HR20 in November. I had many issues (I was unfamiliar with this forum at the time) that now seem to be issues many people have had. Eventually D* agreed to replace it.
When my refurbished replacement unit arrived, it did not even power up. I insisted on a new one and they agreed if I find one locally, I will be reimbursed. Now, in the interim, and after a few updates including the 'Elvis' release, I have to say my HR20 has improved a lot.
At this time I am experiencing the reboot issue when using 30 second slip, and I tried to record a PPV for a buddy a while back and got the infamous immediate 'do u wish to delete'?
Now, to come full circle...Today I found and picked up another HR20 from Best Buy. How many of these things are actually hardware issues? It sure seems if I take the time and energy to swap out my receivers, it could be a lateral move at best. I'm completely torn. So, please chime in...Is it worth it to try a replacement box?
Same boat. I'm on my third [this is a refurb]. Had one problem & called, their sending a new one [next month now]. Meanwhile this one hasn't misbehaved. When the new one comes I'm going to flip a coin [and hold on to the other for a while].
It's a crap shoot IMO.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Welcome, Rysand.

While I'm sure that there are genuine hardware issues, I'd bet it's not nearly as many as you'd think. I think sometimes the firmware gets too messed up to continue without professional help, and I'd bet there have been some loose drive cables, but given the improvements in the behavior that many people have seen from firmware updates, it doesn't seem like hardware is really the issue.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
My feeling is that most of the issues are software related. I'm sure that there are numerous cabling issues as well, but many of those are non-starters since the video wouldn't come up anyway. While getting a new unit will satisfy someones complaints for a short time, it typically won't solve the problem. It's like getting a sugar pill to cure your back-ache. It doesn't work, but you think it does so it calms the situation.

The only sure-fire way to get the HR20 to stop misbehaving right now is to not use it. Personally, I'm sticking with the HR20 because I really like it - despite the flaws.

·
DirecTV 10yr+ Customer
1,011 Posts
Also, as human nature would have it people post about having a problem then find it was a dumb pilot error and never re-post as such. Thus, you get alot of pile on threads/posts when there shouldn't be. I know, there are legit issues.....I don't disgree with that.....but I'm a fairly techy person and a AV Home freak and while I've seen some of the issues in my case they seem much milder in frequency and severity than I perceive from reading alot of posts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.