DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered NFL ST and was told I needed to have a land line connected to my receiver (I have a HR21). I know that having your receiver on the Internet allows you to get pay-per-view movies. Does this also take the place of a land line for NFL ST?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
An Internet connection will take the place of a phone connection.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
968 Posts
While it is true that an internet connection takes the place of a landline (as well as do other things) you don't even need that for Sunday Ticket. I've had it for a couple years both with and without a landline and with/ without an internet connection. While they prefer you to have some type of connection, they also want your business and won't deny you if you don't have it.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
Koz said:
While it is true that an internet connection takes the place of a landline (as well as do other things) you don't even need that for Sunday Ticket. I've had it for a couple years both with and without a landline and with/ without an internet connection. While they prefer you to have some type of connection, they also want your business and won't deny you if you don't have it.
Koz is correct. DIRECTV would prefer you to have it connected to a phone line but you are able to get NFL Sunday Ticket without it connected.
 

· Go Pack!
Joined
·
813 Posts
i had NFLST for 4 years from 02-05 and then left D* when I moved into a corporate apt while my new house was being built then joined D* again last summer and now have had NFLST again in 07 and now 08. Never once did I have a phone line. I refused to sign up if I didn't have a solid answer that I did not need a phone line as I don't have a phone at home (just cell). I got a manager on the phone and he adamantly told me that the phone line thing is bs and no way at all is it needed. I recorded that phone call BTW :)

Long story short.....no phone line needed for NFLST (or anything other than ordering PPV with your remote).
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
28 Posts
I'm also new and just ordered NFLST. That's good to hear about not needing a comm connection to the receiver.

My question is when should I start seeing channels for NFLST? I see the NBA, MLS, and MLB, but don't see anything that looks like NFLST. Do we know what channels they will be on? Thanks.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1710218 said:
Koz is correct. DIRECTV would prefer you to have it connected to a phone line but you are able to get NFL Sunday Ticket without it connected.
hey now bmore..i said it too...its bad enough that you took our team and then squeaked out a super bowl win (without an offense), but give me some credit..LOL
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
grape said:
I'm also new and just ordered NFLST. That's good to hear about not needing a comm connection to the receiver.

My question is when should I start seeing channels for NFLST? I see the NBA, MLS, and MLB, but don't see anything that looks like NFLST. Do we know what channels they will be on? Thanks.
you wont see them until a week before the first sunday of games.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,743 Posts
Michael D'Angelo;1710218 said:
Koz is correct. DIRECTV would prefer you to have it connected to a phone line but you are able to get NFL Sunday Ticket without it connected.
dcowboy7 said:
MattDing said:
Why do they "require" it?

So that they can check and make sure that all the receivers you have active on your account are actually all together and present at the service address and not spread around to all your friends' houses.
but if they "let it slide" on some occasions then whats the point.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
87 Posts
dcowboy7 said:
but if they "let it slide" on some occasions then whats the point.
Not on some occasions, all occasions as far as I can tell. I haven't had my DirecTiVos plugged into a phone line in at least 3 years and have enjoyed every Sunday Ticket game I wanted to.

My guess is that it is something they can do if they feel you are abusing the system and by requiring it they have an easy out to cancel your service if you don't comply. I think that since 99% of the DirecTV customers are honest and above board they don't want to have to implement it system wide.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
78 Posts
MattDing said:
Why do they "require" it?

So that they can check and make sure that all the receivers you have active on your account are actually all together and present at the service address and not spread around to all your friends' houses.
With regard to Sunday Ticket it is more likely to be for enforcing NFL blackout policies. Believe me if the NFL ever seriously threatened to pull their product over it, DirecTV would start enforcing it even though they would have a *lot* of upset customers.
 

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,882 Posts
MattDing said:
My guess is that it is something they can do if they feel you are abusing the system and by requiring it they have an easy out to cancel your service if you don't comply. I think that since 99% of the DirecTV customers are honest and above board they don't want to have to implement it system wide.
Ding, Ding! We have a winner.

It's "required" simply because if they detect abuse they have a way to shut you down. But over the years they have rarely enforced it. I had a friend that did get shut off because his cat had pulled the phone line out of the wall. He plugged it back in and was back in business. But that was nearly 10 years ago and it's the only time I've personally seen it enforced. I went at least 5 years with no phone line and had no problem.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top