DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 HR20's -- and one of them had the BSB this a.m. I fixed it with a reboot.

In anticipation of the other one doing the BSB thing as well, I just decided to go ahead and reboot it -- using the menu command.

Not wanting to watch the reboot process, I hit the OFF macro on my remote to turn the whole system (TV, receiver, HR20) off. Now the HR20 refuses to reboot at all. I get the blue power light to turn on for a few seconds and then it goes off without anything happening. No signal gets sent to my TV and no whirling blue lights on the HR20. I've tried unplugging/replugging the thing as well to no avail.

Did I screw myself by turning off the HR20 while the boot process was underway? Anyone experience this or have any ideas before I call my friendly D* support?

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Start by unplugging it and leaving it for 5 minutes. Then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds before plugging it in. Some folks say that's helped.

If you call D* they will probably just have you reformat it. If you're at that point, see the Information Resources Subforum for tips and tricks on how to do that... they're clearer than the D* support scripts.

If a complete reformat doesn't do it, you might try leaving it for a whole day, some people report that it magically comed back to life. You might want to swing a dead chicken over your head also.

If none of this works (as it did not in my case), sorry my friend you've got a brick. I don't know if what you did had any bearing, sometimes bad things happen to good people.

· Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
clibertynh said:
I have 2 HR20's -- and one of them had the BSB this a.m. I fixed it with a reboot.

In anticipation of the other one doing the BSB thing as well, I just decided to go ahead and reboot it -- using the menu command.

Not wanting to watch the reboot process, I hit the OFF macro on my remote to turn the whole system (TV, receiver, HR20) off. Now the HR20 refuses to reboot at all. I get the blue power light to turn on for a few seconds and then it goes off without anything happening. No signal gets sent to my TV and no whirling blue lights on the HR20. I've tried unplugging/replugging the thing as well to no avail.

Did I screw myself by turning off the HR20 while the boot process was underway? Anyone experience this or have any ideas before I call my friendly D* support?
Welcome.

I am not implying you didn't try this, but I did have the same thing happen to me.

I am embarrassed to admit, that I simply failed to turn the box back on, and interpreted that as the box would not boot. I expected the box to "Turn On" when I rebooted it. It appears the box "remembers" you turned it off, and does not turn itself on during reboot.

Figured I'd offer the simplest possibility first.

· Legend
156 Posts
Mmmm, Fried HR20. Tastes like chicken!

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Welcome.

I am not implying you didn't try this, but I did have the same thing happen to me.

I am embarrassed to admit, that I simply failed to turn the box back on, and interpreted that as the box would not boot. I expected the box to "Turn On" when I rebooted it. It appears the box "remembers" you turned it off, and does not turn itself on during reboot.

Figured I'd offer the simplest possibility first.
Excellent point, Jay. Now that you mention it, I had exactly the same thing happen when changing surge protectors on the HR20. I put it in standby before unplugging it, and when I plugged it in, I got blue power light, followed by dancing ring lights, followed by off. After my heart rate returned to normal levels, I remembered that it was probably in standby.

· Icon
657 Posts
That happened to me last week. Leaving it unplugged overnight and then plugging it back in and just leaving it alone worked. After plugging it back in the next morning I got the same single blue light. I left the recevier on and got ready to go to work. About an hour later the box had rebooted and has worked as good as you can expect from this unit since then. So just unplug overnight and when you turn it on again leave it alone for about an hour.

· Mentor
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jaywdetroit, thanks for the simple solution. It worked.

Now I guess I'm a member of the fraternity of the embarrassed that stupidly forgot to turn the thing back on to get it to reboot...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.