DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Legend
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until this morning, I haven't bothered to try the 1080p VOD because I had already seen I Am Legend and because I have a 5-yr-old ED commercial plasma (Pany 42 PWD) connected via component.

Finally, this morning I tried to rent 10K BC in 1080p as an experiment. I received the warning about testing my display and then the movie began seconds later. I noticed that my display flickered as presumably the outputted format from the 622 changed. (Normally, I output at 1080i from the 622 and let the plasma convert to 480p).

Per my plasma's manual, it is capable of receiving 1080/24p via component. However, I wasn't able to check the specific resolution in the display's service menu.

Given concerns re: digital rights, I would have assumed that the 622 would not output 1080p over component. However, the brief flicker that I see as I resume the 1080p movie and then return to live TV (1080i) potentially suggests that it is outputting 1080p over component?

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
No, 1080p is limited to HDMI (or HDCP-compliant DVI) only, per requirements from the content owners.

· Godfather
396 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
IMO, either an error (TV is incorrectly IDing the signal), or Dish's software isn't doing what it is supposed to do (which is limit 1080p to HDCP-compliant connections). Either one is easily possible.

· Godfather
396 Posts
Maybe in 2010.

The method is called ICT.
By the way, you can see the flag in the HDCP section of the DIAG report on you 622/722 Dish Receiver. Look for '---- HDCP APP STATE' section for the flag 'hdcp_enforce'. If you see it set to a one then the copyrighted content has requested the protection by including the ICT state flag in to the protocol stream. As of this writting there are no plans to force this flag until at least 2010.

Image reference stolen from another post here. Note that 'hdcp_enforce=0' for the 1080p event.
http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15156&d=1218988781
http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=1743105&postcount=141

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Constraint_Token

Now if this flag was forced then the use of Component Video would prevent normal users of the 622 or 722 from getting any content with non-HDMI hardware. The reason the flag will not forced until maybe 2010 is the lack of HDMI and 'working HDCP' hardware.

HobbyTalk said:
Just a question, where does it state that 1080p should be limited to HDCP-compliant connections?

· Legend
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HobbyTalk said:
Thanks, so that would mean outputting 1080p over component is not unusal at this time.
Thanks guys for clearing this up. I had just seen the above image posted in the ongoing "my experience..." thread as well.

I suspect that this is a worthwhile observation as I assume that a fair number of subscribers still use component connections and may have yet to try 1080p VOD due to the constant dialogue hereon about various newer displays not passing the 622/722's test thru HDMI.

I had briefly searched at this site and was not able to find any definitive comments regarding 1080p via component for this new service.

· Icon
529 Posts
My 622 also passes 1080p via component, and my Pioneer PDP6010 Kuro plays it spectacularly! I was very surprised... I hope they don't disable this any time soon.

· Legend
138 Posts
ZBoomer said:
My 622 also passes 1080p via component, and my Pioneer PDP6010 Kuro plays it spectacularly! I was very surprised... I hope they don't disable this any time soon.
I have the same receiver and TV. Do you need to enable 1080p in the menu?
Is this only for VOD or there is some broadcast in 1080p?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.