DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Legend
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HR-20 700 which has a OTA tuner. The problem is that is is not very strong. I can pick up 16 stations on my TV's HDTV tuner but only 4 with the HR20 tuner. I was wondering how good is the AM-21 compared to the HR20's tuner?

Also, does it work the same way as the HR20 (Where you put in a zip code and DTV assigns OTA locals)...or is it actually capable of FINDING channels like other Digital TV boxes?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
shoelessjoe said:
I have an HR-20 700 which has a OTA tuner. The problem is that is is not very strong. I can pick up 16 stations on my TV's HDTV tuner but only 4 with the HR20 tuner. I was wondering how good is the AM-21 compared to the HR20's tuner?

Also, does it work the same way as the HR20 (Where you put in a zip code and DTV assigns OTA locals)...or is it actually capable of FINDING channels like other Digital TV boxes?
Works the same way...
Some say it's better with multipath problems..
Did you try aiming the antenna using the meters on the HR20? From what I've seen different brand tuners like different aiming.. sometimes as little as a few degrees..

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
My AM21 picks up a LP digital with a -108 dbm signal level, where the HR20 doesn't even show a signal.

The AM21 picks up stations I can't lock on the HR20 due to multipath.

All the stations I can pick up on my regular ATSC tuner, I can get on the AM21 (not so the HR20).

Only my Pansat ATSC/FTA receiver locks in signals faster than the AM21, but it cost $420.

Unfortunantly, after the H20-600, Directv, for whatever reason, decided not to include a channel scan. You can add a second zip code from a city with matching TRANSMIT (not virtual) channels, and it will tune them, of course the guide data will probably be wrong.

Well worth the $54 tho, if you have a HR21 or HR22...or any other receiver it will work with.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
Davenlr said:
My AM21 picks up a LP digital with a -108 dbm signal level, where the HR20 doesn't even show a signal.

The AM21 picks up stations I can't lock on the HR20 due to multipath.

All the stations I can pick up on my regular ATSC tuner, I can get on the AM21 (not so the HR20).

Only my Pansat ATSC/FTA receiver locks in signals faster than the AM21, but it cost $420.

Unfortunantly, after the H20-600, Directv, for whatever reason, decided not to include a channel scan. You can add a second zip code from a city with matching TRANSMIT (not virtual) channels, and it will tune them, of course the guide data will probably be wrong.

Well worth the $54 tho, if you have a HR21 or HR22...or any other receiver it will work with.
I agree, although the price is $50 not $54 (I just rechecked the Directv website). I"m pretty sure that shipping is included.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
Is that your only location with ant hooked up? If so, disconnect your tv and get rid of all spliters, and just feed the HR20... See what you get then... You may be loosing too much signal if your splitting the feed to many times...

· Legend
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
inkahauts said:
Is that your only location with ant hooked up? If so, disconnect your tv and get rid of all spliters, and just feed the HR20... See what you get then... You may be loosing too much signal if your splitting the feed to many times...
My setup is with a splitter and two 3 ft. RG6 wire - one connected to TV/ the other to DVR. I also ran it straight (without the splitter) to the DVR and the results were the same. The HR20 tuner is much weaker than my TV tuner.

I am thinking of buying another dvr at best buy and that is why I started this thread. If the AM21 has a stronger tuner it would be worth it to me.

· Registered
24,401 Posts
shoelessjoe said:
My setup is with a splitter and two 3 ft. RG6 wire - one connected to TV/ the other to DVR. I also ran it straight (without the splitter) to the DVR and the results were the same. The HR20 tuner is much weaker than my TV tuner.

I am thinking of buying another dvr at best buy and that is why I started this thread. If the AM21 has a stronger tuner it would be worth it to me.
Yeah, If your after a second DVR, from what others have posted, it could be...

· AllStar
103 Posts
My experience with AM21 in low power Denver DMA is excellent. It performs better than my 2 HR20 OTA set ups by a long shot. I have even swapped out an HR21/AM21 combo at an HR20 location and experienced a stronger, more reliable signal.

· Icon
715 Posts
Davenlr said:
Interesting. My HR20-700 locks on several stations with -102 to -108 dBm signal levels; even before I added a preamp they were all in the 60-95% signal range with a 91XG OTA antenna. With an HDP-269 preamp they range from the low 70s up to 98-99%. And these are 60 miles away.

Word. I think the way these D* boxes implements OTA was terrible. I don't know why they couldn't just allow a channel scan from a technical perspective. I can understand there may be some channel guide issues, but I'd rather be able to tune to a station with no channel guide info than not be able to tune to it at all.

· Hall Of Fame
7,184 Posts
I do see an improvement in my OTA signal levels with the AM21.

Channel 11 here in Atlanta is the weakest station (which i receive) with a signal level of typically 50 to 60. However, when I installed the HR21 and AM21 earlier this week, I noticed my signal improved dramatically and I am now receiving a level of 70 to 80.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.