DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is the Difference Mpeg2 and Mpeg4?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  tzphotos.com 
#1 ·
I basically have 3 locals of the same channels (networks)

Lets take CBS for example.

I have two channel 2's one is WCBS which is in HD, the other is NY2 which is in SD, then I have channel 80 which is CBSE and is also in HD.

This is the same for Fox and NBC.

So is the WCBS HD MPEG2 and the CBSE MPEG4?

I really cant tell the difference in quality between the two.

#3 ·
litzdog911 said:
It's the other way around ....

WCBS on Channel 2 is your MPEG4 local HDTV channel
NY2 is your MPEG2 standard definition local channel
CBSE on Ch 80 is your MPEG2 HDTV channel

Most people cannot detect any difference between the two HDTV channels.
Yea irs really hard to tell the difference, well I have been watching the WCBS HD so I will continue to do that.

MPEG4 is supposed to be the better one though right?

#4 ·
Staszek said:
Yea irs really hard to tell the difference, well I have been watching the WCBS HD so I will continue to do that.

MPEG4 is supposed to be the better one though right?
MPEG 4 really only provides better compression it does not necessarily give a better picture. Yes, given the same size of compression MPEG4 should be better then MPEG2 but the picture quality depends more upon how much DirectTV wants/does compress any channel. My guess is that they went to MPEG 4 so that they could compress more and keep the same level of quaility.

#5 ·
rsonnens said:
MPEG 4 really only provides better compression it does not necessarily give a better picture. Yes, given the same size of compression MPEG4 should be better then MPEG2 but the picture quality depends more upon how much DirectTV wants/does compress any channel. My guess is that they went to MPEG 4 so that they could compress more and keep the same level of quaility.
It is too bad DirecTV doesn't get the feed from the local channel before it goes through MPEG2 compression. They could deliver a better MPEG4 signal. They wouldn't have to transcode the MPEG2 to MPEG4. Am I correct?

It will be interesting to see the quality of the National HD channels that will come via MPEG4. I would think the signal that DirecTV (or any other provider) gets from the national networks(Discovery, HDNet, etc.) is not highly compressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.