DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Godfather
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate HBO, but I do like Entourage even though it's jumping the shark in fact Fonzie is already near the landing ramp so each season my roommate and I have to decide, do we re-up HBO for 13 bucks just for Entourage. We have netflix and get all our movies from there etc... As soon as Entourage is over we cancel in fact when the Sopranos ended I called and the CSR said "let me guess you are calling to dump HBO?", I'm like yup, kill it!

So my question is, does HBO cost the same on cable, Dish etc. How does DTV stack up in terms of price.

The price just seems way too high. Works out to about $3.25 per episode. I get the NFLSTRZ so the last thing I need is to give DTV more of my money, I give enough!

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
No, every provider has different pricing structures.

Do you have any other premiums? I usually just keep one premium throughout the year, but I change it depending upon the shows. I'll have HBO during Entourage, for example. I watch enough HD Movies during the year to make it worth have one premium all year long.

· Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
ansky said:
Comcast in my area charges an absurd $23/month for HBO.
Are you serious? I guess they could command that price in NJ. I know a lot of my friends on Comcast subscribed to HBO just for the Sopranos.

$23 per month for 9 years is $2484. For 86 episodes, that's $28 per episode. Makes you wonder if the organized crime family was named "Soprano" or "Comcast".

· Godfather
306 Posts
ansky said:
Comcast in my area charges an absurd $23/month for HBO. Unbelievable that anyone would pay that. I think it is about $16 on Fios.
That is a great example of how Comcast is all over the place with rates in different areas. Comcast in Sarasota, Florida gives HBO for free to all customers with Digital cable.

· Hall Of Fame
2,463 Posts
Upstream said:
Are you serious? I guess they could command that price in NJ. I know a lot of my friends on Comcast subscribed to HBO just for the Sopranos.

$23 per month for 9 years is $2484. For 86 episodes, that's $28 per episode. Makes you wonder if the organized crime family was named "Soprano" or "Comcast".
Make that "Roberts".

· RIP
6,203 Posts
ansky said:
Comcast in my area charges an absurd $23/month for HBO. Unbelievable that anyone would pay that. I think it is about $16 on Fios.
I think the $23 package includes all of the HBO and Cinemax channels...at least that's what was offered to my mother. You could also get a smaller package. So, price-wise it was actually cheaper than DirecTV if you subscribed to HBO and Cinemax. I don't remember all the channels they had in HD...they did have a few more Cinemax channels than DirecTV does though.

· Legend
226 Posts
At $14 a month on Directv, it might be cheaper to wait and rent Entourage at Blockbuster. Heck you could probably buy the dvd set cheaper if you figure the series runs 3 months $42 (at least 12 episodes). A check on HBO's site had the complete Season 4 set listed for $39.98.

· Hall Of Fame
1,167 Posts
Upstream said:

Crazy, right? Most of the other premiums are about $20/month. I just checked online and they have a Digital Cable + HBO package for $89.95/month. That is nuts. That doesn't even include a DVR, and probably only 1 standard receiver.

· Godfather
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, HBO use to be 12 bucks! Hopefully with the economy not doing well they will offer a deal. I just know the second I order it and the first episode is 23 minutes long of the same crap I'll be pissed.... Now if HBO made it an hour show I would probably re-order HBO...

Do you think HBO and DTV will come out with a deal?

· Icon
714 Posts
I know you can't cancel a premium within 30 days of new order. But can you re-subscribe it within 30 days after cancellation?

This thread makes me wonder why I am keeping HBO. They did a good job terminating all the shows I like. I think I should drop it until Entourage is back.

· RIP
6,203 Posts
Dusty said:
I know you can't cancel a premium within 30 days of new order. But can you re-subscribe it within 30 days after cancellation?

This thread makes me wonder why I am keeping HBO. They did a good job terminating all the shows I like. I think I should drop it until Entourage is back.
Yes, you can...you can also change from one premium to the other at any time (at least you used to be able to).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.