DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 HR20's currently and an older DTivo box.
A friend was asking about me about D* and wants to upgrade and drop his cable service and do a "Triple Play" package through Bellsouth.

I've read here and there about major issues with the R15's (and had some issues with my HR20's) but know there has been a recent software update.

So here's the big question: Is the R15 stable enough to recommend it to a new D* sub and someone new to the DVR world???
I told him that having a DVR is awesome, but I had some reservations about the R15...

So give me the scoop R15 owners... :)

Thanks for the input and advice!!!

·
Icon
761 Posts
Wer'e talking SD only, right? No HD aspirations?
Is he already a Tivo user?
I haven't plugged my R15 back in to try this latest update, but the $180 I spent on a used 160 hr DTivo has brought me oh so much joy these past few months.

Based on where the R15 was when I pulled the plug, I'd say if it's his first DVR and he's a fairly undemanding user, then a free R15 is better than no DVR at all.

If he's already a Tivo fan, take the R15 if it's free, but get a DTivo to actually use.

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Not until they fix it. They fix one problem only to create a new one. I've had two R-15's since they were introduced and had my hopes they would straighten it out only to hear they are working on it. Next software release, Have patience its a new product, etc etc.. This thing is as buggy as ever. I mean come on DTV, You can't even get the screensaver fixed let alone the damn pause only works half the time, etc..
I mean Geez!

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, SD only...

No previous DVR experience at all. Only Tivo experience he's had is when he's been over at my house - and that was with my HR10-250! LOL.

He would def. be a heavy DVR user once it was installed. Between he and other family members, they would be recording a good bit of material.

Now I'm really on the fence here, I don't want to recommend a buggy box to a brand new user...
Is it safe to say that the HR20 is already more stable than the R15???

My mom had an R15 back around the first of the year, and the few times I messed with it, I do remember it Sucked! But I was hoping that the latest update fixed a lot of issues...

I need some more input before I tell him to pul the trigger...

thanks

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
I've had the R-15 for six weeks and I hate it.

I just expect the basic from my DVR. Record shows that I can watch a day or two later.

The R-15 doesn't record at least a quarter of the shows I've asked it to record. And another 10% record, but a few minutes into playback will stop playing and ask me if I want to delete it.

I've done red-button resets almost daily to keep it working half-way reliably (which wipes out my guide data which takes 48 hours to repopulate). And I've done periodic total resets as directed by Directv tech support which wipes out any shows that I did manage to record.

I got the R-15 temporarily until I could get the HR-20. But reading the HR-20 forums, it sounds as buggy as my R-15. I'm not sure what to do now...

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another quick question:

Which box is now the one that is mainly used???
R15-100
R15-300
R15-500

I would assume the R15-500 is the newest and has the least amount of issues - possibly b/c of newer/better hardware? Or just a different manufacturer or assembly plant?

Thanks guys

·
Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
jbstix said:
I would assume the R15-500 is the newest and has the least amount of issues - possibly b/c of newer/better hardware? Or just a different manufacturer or assembly plant?

Thanks guys
Incorrect. They were released 500, 300 then 100. Yes, different manufacturers. They're supose to be functionally identical.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
akstone said:
I've had the R-15 for six weeks and I hate it.

The R-15 doesn't record at least a quarter of the shows I've asked it to record. And another 10% record, but a few minutes into playback will stop playing and ask me if I want to delete it.
If your box is missing 25% of its scheduled records and asking you to keep or delete minutes into playing on another 10%, you have a defective box. Sound's like some sort of hard disk error.

At six weeks old, you are under warranty. Call DTV now and get a replacement.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Tech support did say they would send me a new R15. But I said wait since I was on the priority waiting list for an HR20 which I was expecting "real soon".

But that's a whole different series of headaches not appropriate for this thread.

After eight years with Dish, I switched to Directv because I was dissatisfied with Dish. I am more dissatisfied withDirectv. But now I'm stuck with a two year commitment.

I would think if Directv had a good product, they wouldn't need to push their two year commitment on people. Dish default is no commitment or a rebate if you agree to an 18 month commitment. That says something about the quality of the respective products.

·
Icon
761 Posts
Apparently not, if you were dissatisfied enough with Dish to leave.

The R15 is a flop, and that is sad, but with a DTivo, I am very happy with DTV so far. For the few problems I have had they have addressed them to my complete satisfaction (they apologize sincerely and throw money at me).

Would I prefer no commitment? Sure. From my cell phone company, too.
But it says nothing about the quality of the product as far as I can see.
I've renewed the two-year commitment on my cell phone 10 times because the service is good, and if DTV keeps up, and requires it to get me a better deal. I'll renew with them, too.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,050 Posts
akstone said:
Tech support did say they would send me a new R15. But I said wait since I was on the priority waiting list for an HR20 which I was expecting "real soon".
You have a defective receiver. You can get a working receiver within a week for free. All you have to do is make a phone call, connect a few cables, and send the defective receiver back at no cost to you.

Unless you are going to get an HR20 in the next few weeks, why wouldn't you exchange the defective receiver for a working one? If you wait another 6 weeks, your warranty will have expired and you won't be able to exchange the defective receiver for free.

Also, if you know you have a defective receiver (and you must know since DTV offered to replace it, but you said no), you are being disingenuous complaining about the problems as if they are general problems with the R15.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
I would agree with you if these R-15 forums weren't full of posts with identical complaints.

I would have replaced my R-15 in an instant if I hadn't read several posts from people with the same issues even after replacing their R-15 several times.

I would have replaced my R-15 instantly if tech support would have told me these problems were proof of a bad unit. Instead they initially told me most people with these problems have them fixed by pushing the red reset button. So I push the red reset button which does stabilize my box for a few days at a time.

A later tech support call said a total reset would almost certainly fix these problems for good. This did fix the problems for a couple weeks before I started losing recordings again.

Another tech support call told me I could try replacing the unit. I asked if I would get a new box. I was told No, I would get a used refurbished unit. This made me think of posts I've read from people that got replacement boxes more flaky than the one they sent in.

Tech support then told me a new software update coming soon might fix the problems I'm seeing. I just got a software update a few days ago. I followed the update with another total reset to get my box in a good state. I am now waiting to see if these problems reappear. If the problems reappear, I'll try a new box.

Since I was told new software will hopefully fix the problem, this tells me getting a replacement box is only a feel good step that would replace my six week old box with a much older refurbished box. That is why I haven't replaced my R-15 yet.

Six weeks of try this - now try this - now try that - gives me every right to complain about the R-15.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Okay, my take.

The R15 has made alot of progress over the year. But IMO it's still not a reliable unit. Mine, right now is working pretty well but still has annoying problems. My R15 is in a place that is not critical (a place I really only need a receiver) and I have DTivo units handling my "real" recordings.

The only DTV DVR I can recommend at this time would be a Tivo unit on the used market.

·
Godfather
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info guys...

My friend hasn't made a decision yet, but he has until tomorrow until the current "deal" ends.

I haven't told him I posted here asking R15 owners what they thought, I'm just trying to gather enough info before I give him my final advice.

Thanks again

·
Legend
126 Posts
I'm with TigerfanJJ. I have had my R15 about 3 months after going through 3
R10's. Yes it has some quirks and some things I just hate like the worthless history and picking up some reruns on first run requests, but it has some features I love like the guide in picture and the 90 minute cache. My unit has been reliable. I reboot once a week which appears to help the stability.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
cawall said:
My unit has been reliable. I reboot once a week which appears to help the stability.
Something wrong with these two statements.

I've converted four people from cable to DirecTV just for the DTiVo. I never really evangelized it--I just let them see it when they were in my house, and that was enough. I've actively warned all of them against the R15, though.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
cawall said:
I'm with TigerfanJJ.My unit has been reliable. I reboot once a week which appears to help the stability.
I guess it's all in your expectations. I have DTivos that haven't been reboot in 70-90 days. Yes, I reboot my R15 every week also as it doesn't work properly if you don't. That's why I cannot recommend the R15. If you accept a weekly reboot and loss of guide data for 24 hours, then it works for you. Prior to the R15, on DTivo DVRs and on UTVs or Replays....gosh, I guess any DTV DVR before the R15....that wasn't needed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.