DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got myself all tied up in rubber bands here trying to determine if it is possible to connect my ViP622 DVR to my second tv, even though it is an HD set, then use the dual mode to watch down-rez'd SD?

My situation is that the installer connected up another Dish HD receiver to TV2, which is what I ordered. But now, after reading all that can be done with dual mode, I would like to have the option of switching TV2 into accepting the 622's output, like the manual states.

I thought I could just unplug the RF cable from the back of TV2's receiver and connect to my TV's RF input, set to Channel 60, set the 622 to dual mode, and away we go.
Not so lucky though.

Would appreciate any connection suggestions here.

Thanks so much!

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Unless TV2 is close to the 622 and you want to watch exactly what is on TV2 there is no option to do dual HD outputs.... One for TV1 and one for TV2. The dual mode is designed to drive a HD set and another SD set. Could use case is having one in the family room and also wanting to access it in the bedroom.

·
Super Moderator
53,494 Posts
Perhaps you're disconnecting the wrong cables?

Here is a working signal path:
"Home Distribution" output of a ViP-622 directly to a TV in another room that has a NTSC (analog) tuner. In single mode you would get whatever TV1 was watching on the RF out, downrezzed to SD, unless "Shared View" (Menu-6-2) is disabled. In dual mode you get TV2 output, which can be HD programs, downrezzed to SD. The key is to have an analog TV, tuned to the channel your modulator is set for (Menu-6-1-5).

If you are trying to watch the modulated output on a TV that has no analog tuner or tune it on a receiver (such as the ViP-211) that has no analog tuner you will have problems.

You can feed the "Home Distribution" output of the ViP-622 through a ViP-211 receiver (and many SD receivers) but the ViP-211 cannot tune analog so it is up to your TV to tune the "channel 60" signal. There is no feed through on a ViP-622 (if that is what you have on TV2).

I must stress again that the Home Distribution/TV2 outputs will never be in HD - but you can watch HD downrezzed to SD in this manner.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ron. I actually want to have just the one HD output to my normal TV1, and an SD output to TV2. Even though I have the HD receiver on TV2, I would like to be able to, at times, have the option to just switch that set to another one of its sources to watch the 622's SD output.

Can this be done?

Gracias

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
YEs it can be done if I am understanding what you are saying. On TV2 you would hook up the coax and using what they call Home Distribution you would set your 622 to output to a specific channel and then tune to that channel on TV2. My guess is that you plan on keeping your other HD receiver and basically also want to view content from your 622 on the 2nd TV. YEs that can be done

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you gentlemen- it is much clearer to me now. The Home Distribution output was the key.

Since the installer ran a coax from the dish directly up to the ViP 211 HD receiver on my TV2, will this output from Home Distribution be a completely new run, or is there a point where I can connect somewhere near my 622, and have that little antenna on the rear distribute the signal?

Thanks

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
The little antenna on the rear is the UHF remote antenna for Remote 2. If you want to control your 622 in the other room you will need to have that antenna connected. As for getting the home distribution to the TV your 211 is hooked up to, this all depends on your topology of coax. The content for your 622 needs to be delivered over coax and so you need to find way to make this happen. If you around the forums and do a bit of digging you should find some threads of people that have done this.

and I forgot to sayy :welcome_s neighbor. I am in North OC where abouts do you hang your hat.

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
Ron Barry said:
The little antenna on the rear is the UHF remote antenna for Remote 2. If you want to control your 622 in the other room you will need to have that antenna connected. As for getting the home distribution to the TV your 211 is hooked up to, this all depends on your topology of coax. The content for your 622 needs to be delivered over coax and so you need to find way to make this happen. If you around the forums and do a bit of digging you should find some threads of people that have done this.

and I forgot to sayy :welcome_s neighbor. I am in North OC where abouts do you hang your hat.
Here is a few links I got with a quick search

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66510&highlight=Home+Distribution
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=57908&highlight=Home+Distribution
http://www.dbstalk.com/search.php?searchid=1310095
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=60290&highlight=Home+Distribution

I am sure you can find more.. Did not have time to read them but they seemed at first glance to be helpful

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice and the welcome, Ron. I'm out here in currently sunny So Cal.

With your and James advice, and the manual, I think I'm good to go on this.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.