DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zinwell WB68 multiplexer for 4 directv receivers. There is only one wire installed from the mutiplexer to the master bedroom reciever so I can only record/watch one channel at a time in that room. There is no way to add a second cable (within reason). My question is whether there is such a device, similar to a diplexer, that would combine 2 satellite signals after the multiplexer, connectied to the single line going to the bedroom, and then split into 2 satellite signals in the bedroom? If not, if I use diplexers with an OTA antenna, will I be able to record 2 channels at once (assuming one of the channels is from OTA)? Thanks!

· Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
ILLINIFans said:
I have a Zinwell WB68 multiplexer for 4 directv receivers. There is only one wire installed from the mutiplexer to the master bedroom reciever so I can only record/watch one channel at a time in that room. There is no way to add a second cable (within reason). My question is whether there is such a device, similar to a diplexer, that would combine 2 satellite signals after the multiplexer, connectied to the single line going to the bedroom, and then split into 2 satellite signals in the bedroom? If not, if I use diplexers with an OTA antenna, will I be able to record 2 channels at once (assuming one of the channels is from OTA)? Thanks!
There is not a way with your present system. You can replace the Zinwell with an SWM8 (you can purchase them from SolidSignal.com). Search on SWM for more information.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think the SWM solution will work in my case because the bedroom DVR is not one of the SWM-supported receivers. I may just have to use diplexers with an OTA input. Will I be able to record 2 shows at once with diplexers?

· Registered
8,671 Posts
ILLINIFans said:
I don't think the SWM solution will work in my case because the bedroom DVR is not one of the SWM-supported receivers. I may just have to use diplexers with an OTA input. Will I be able to record 2 shows at once with diplexers?
be carefull how you hook up diplexers.. have to be between reciever and bband convertors (if it uses them)..
But hooked up right you will be able to record 2 OTA or 1 OTA nad 1 sat..

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
ILLINIFans said:
The only non-SWM DVR with an OTA input is the HR10-250. You could use a pair of diplexers to add OTA signal to the sat line, and once split back out with the other diplexer, run one line to the OTA input and one to the Sat 1 input. That would give you two (of the three) tuners.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I think that's what I will do. I believe that is the receiver I have. The only problem now is that when I split my OTA one more time, I lose channel 2 (CBS). I guess the threshold signal isn't strong enough for that channel to come thru. Anyone have any success with a signal amplifier for the OTA signal? Any particular brands you would suggest?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,619 Posts
ILLINIFans said:
I don't think the SWM solution will work in my case because the bedroom DVR is not one of the SWM-supported receivers.
What receiver is it?
I may just have to use diplexers with an OTA input. Will I be able to record 2 shows at once with diplexers?
You need to get over the idea of using diplexers. They may work now, but they won't be of much use in the not-too-distant future when you finally break down and get an current HD DVR model. Understand that DIRECTV recommends against using diplexers pretty much across the board now.

· Hall Of Fame
1,510 Posts
harsh said:
What receiver is it?You need to get over the idea of using diplexers. They may work now, but they won't be of much use in the not-too-distant future when you finally break down and get an current HD DVR model. Understand that DIRECTV recommends against using diplexers pretty much across the board now.
Harsh:

I have current receivers and have been diplexing for a very long time. While DirecTV may recommend not to use diplexers., (They don't want to have to handle the CSR calls surrounding an improperly installed diplexer <and I don't blame them>) It is absolultly possible and many of us do it.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,619 Posts
jwd45244 said:
I have current receivers and have been diplexing for a very long time. While DirecTV may recommend not to use diplexers., (They don't want to have to handle the CSR calls improperly installed diplexer <and I don't blame them>) It is absolultely possible and many of us do it.
I didn't say that it wasn't possible. Given the rash of recent problems with people trying to diplex incorrectly, it is easy to see why they don't recommend it.

If someone doesn't have the wherewithal, patience or desire to search for the answer, they probably shouldn't try diplexing.

· Icon
680 Posts
ILLINIFans said:
No if you have an HR10-250, the Directv and OTA tuners are paired together and for all intents and purposes it will still act as a single tuner DVR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.