DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Icon
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if there is a forum for Media Share here in Dbstalk? D* Tech Forum has a media share discussion, but not many responses. There seems to be a bigger population visiting this forum.

· Banned
12 Posts
In the tips and tricks info for networking (on hr2x)there is some info, very helpful, uninstall and reinstall media player and make sure it shares to the hddvr, and make sure music,video and picture folders are shared, should be a good start, it works kinda smooth little slow

· Cool Member
27 Posts
allenn said:
Just wondered if there is a forum for Media Share here in Dbstalk? D* Tech Forum has a media share discussion, but not many responses. There seems to be a bigger population visiting this forum.
That's funny...I was just going to ask a similar question myself. I've been looking for a primer on Media Share, since I have various questions about it...whether it works with a Mac, whether I can use it to play video files I have on my computer, wireless vs Ethernet, etc. D*'s site doesn't have much about this, as far as I can tell...

1 Posts
samchecker said:
That's funny...I was just going to ask a similar question myself. I've been looking for a primer on Media Share, since I have various questions about it...whether it works with a Mac, whether I can use it to play video files I have on my computer, wireless vs Ethernet, etc. D*'s site doesn't have much about this, as far as I can tell...
Very easy with a Mac. I use eyeconnect program which has a free trial and aiport express for the wireless connection. Have problems with audio on video files though. Pictures and music work very well. No frustration in getting setting up, everything was very smooth, DVR box saw computer right away no configuring needed.

· Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
pack_fan said:
Very easy with a Mac. I use eyeconnect program which has a free trial and aiport express for the wireless connection. Have problems with audio on video files though. Pictures and music work very well. No frustration in getting setting up, everything was very smooth, DVR box saw computer right away no configuring needed.
I agree--EyeConnect works great. If you have videos with no audio, run them through MPEG Streamclip and choose "Convert to TS".

· Icon
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug Brott said:
We do not have a specific forum for media share .. no. Most of the discussions have been taking place in this forum here or in the Information, Tips and Resourcesforum
Would it be possible to setup a Media Share forum?

· Cool Member
27 Posts
I understand that lots of the CE folks have been discussing Media Share issues for quite some time, but as a n00b to this feature, there are a number of things I'd like to find out about, and it'd sure be nice to find them all in one place.

For me personally, I'd love a FAQ on how to get the best results with Macs. I've tried out EyeConnect with Airport Express. Super easy to set up, but I can't really do what I want to with it...play AVI's and DVD files. I thought mediatomb might be the answer, but I've had zero luck installing it, with Fink and Darwinport.

Anyway, I suspect these issues and many many more have been dealt with, but the answers (if my searches are anything to go by) are scattered across a zillion threads. If the bottom-line answer is that Media Share isn't ready for prime time, that's OK, but I'd love to know that before I spend much more time on this....

Thanks for hearing me out!

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
samchecker said:
For me personally, I'd love a FAQ on how to get the best results with Macs. I've tried out EyeConnect with Airport Express. Super easy to set up, but I can't really do what I want to with it...play AVI's and DVD files. I thought mediatomb might be the answer, but I've had zero luck installing it, with Fink and Darwinport.
Get a copy of VisualHub. It converts pretty much anything you want into anything else. Take any videos you want converted and make them into MPEG2 files and you're good to go. If you need a DVD ripper, try MacTheRipper and/or HandBrake first to get the files, then VisualHub to encode or optimize them.

Hope this helps.

· Cool Member
27 Posts
LameLefty said:
Get a copy of VisualHub. It converts pretty much anything you want into anything else. Take any videos you want converted and make them into MPEG2 files and you're good to go. If you need a DVD ripper, try MacTheRipper and/or HandBrake first to get the files, then VisualHub to encode or optimize them.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip! I've been using MTR for ages, but I haven't tried VisualHub yet. One more question...is the Airport Express connection fast enough to support decent-quality video, or do I need to go with direct Ethernet (using the home-wiring units)?

· I used to be a rocket scientist
11,448 Posts
samchecker said:
Thanks for the tip! I've been using MTR for ages, but I haven't tried VisualHub yet. One more question...is the Airport Express connection fast enough to support decent-quality video, or do I need to go with direct Ethernet (using the home-wiring units)?
It's been working for me well enough, even through an 802.11g wireless ethernet bridge connected to the rest of my network. It all depends on how good your signal is, how clear your channel is, how many devices you have all pulling bits at once, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.