DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea there was a 103s even! (wasnt it A before?)

so can anyone show me where i can go see someone elses readings to know what i should have a good signal on?

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what bird is XM on? i'm flipping thru channels at 817 gives me 771 error and 818 819 820 are ok...816 814 are not...just went up and down the dial near 817 to see what else was going on

· Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
jdspencer said:
No offense, but I haven't trusted Lyngsat's data in a few years.
People don't seem to keep up with the changes like they used to.

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
newsposter said:
I had no idea there was a 103s even! (wasnt it A before?)
Ya, several months ago the hddvr's changed from "A & B" to "C & S" designations.

"C" = CONUS (entire continental united states)
"S" = SPOTBEAM (small beams each going to only specific regions of country)

This makes it easier to tell if your having signal issues since you should be receiving signals from ALL TRANSPONDERS on the 103c and 99c satellites (except the ones that say "n/a" which aren't used by directv).

If all transponders on both 103c and 99c have very strong signals, like in the 80's and 90's, then your dish is properly aimed and unfortunately there is nothing you can do to improve your 99s and 103s signals.

newsposter said:
so can anyone show me where i can go see someone elses readings to know what i should have a good signal on?
Download the files from Post #1 of the following thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=140519

They are from 10/4/08, which is by far the most recent listing you'll find anywhere.

Edited to add:
Oooops, those files won't show what signal strengths you should have for your city. They show what channels are from what transponders. Only way to get strength's would be if someone near you actually posted their strengths.

Maybe you should post yours.
;)

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crap...tried them on HDtivo and they are fine...so i guess HR20 is at issue UGH!

what to do? I always had a 110 tuner 2 issue and maybe it's migrated to the 101 (i think XM is on there from a grid i found)

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Supervolcano said:
Ya, several months ago the hddvr's changed from "A & B" to "C & S" designations.

"C" = CONUS (entire continental united states)
"S" = SPOTBEAM (small beams each going to only specific regions of country)

This makes it easier to tell if your having signal issues since you should be receiving signals from ALL TRANSPONDERS on the 103c and 99c satellites (except the ones that say "n/a" which aren't used by directv).

If all transponders on both 103c and 99c have very strong signals, like in the 80's and 90's, then your dish is properly aimed and unfortunately there is nothing you can do to improve your 99s and 103s signals.
must be tuner 2, even on 101 i have a bunch of 70s and 80s and even some 50s where on tuner one all are 90s and 100. Actually tuner 2 xponder 6 and 8 read zero as do 10 and 12...and if i sit here and watch..sometimes they actually increase and decrease significantly in strength (0 to 40)

110 tuner 2 is actull 80 and above now

99c is all 84-95 both tuners

103c is 0 on tuner 1 ch 1 but then kicked up to 95 after the 2nd refresh and all are above 90; tuner 2 registered all 90+

so it appears my tuner 2 is dying on the hr20. Just went back to tuner 2 101 and have 5 zeros and a bunch of 50s readings..

i dont need OTA on the hr20 but i hate getting a refurb and i have tons to watch on the unit. Under the protection plan can i do a self install of a mailed out replacement if ever choose to do so? I'm fortunate that most of my HR20 recordings are the NEW hd channels and i presume not on the 101. HDtivo is for ota and SD stuff.

· Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Supervolcano said:
No offense, but I haven't trusted Lyngsat's data in a few years.
People don't seem to keep up with the changes like they used to.
No offense taken. :D
But, those pages are all I have seen that are that concise.
And, the 99 and 103 sats haven't been lit up that long. :)

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
101 has 6 spotbeams which are transponders 4, 12, 18, 20, 26, & 28.
119 has 5 spotbeams which are transponders 22, 23, 25, 29, & 31.
110 has no spotbeams.
103c has no spotbeams.
103s is all spotbeams.
99c has no spotbeams.
99s is all spotbeams.

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
jdspencer said:
No offense taken. :D
But, those pages are all I have seen that are that concise.
Try the sticky posts in the "directv programming" forum.
;)
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=140519

jdspencer said:
And, the 99 and 103 sats haven't been lit up that long. :)
99s and 103s have been lit up for several years.
103c is about a year old.
99c is the only new one.

A year is a long time in my book.

And notice how lyngsat doesn't list what channels are on which transponders for all the 103 and 99 satellites? I think that's because directv didn't want people to know.
;)

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
newsposter said:
must be tuner 2, even on 101 i have a bunch of 70s and 80s and even some 50s where on tuner one all are 90s and 100. Actually tuner 2 xponder 6 and 8 read zero as do 10 and 12...and if i sit here and watch..sometimes they actually increase and decrease significantly in strength (0 to 40)

110 tuner 2 is actull 80 and above now

99c is all 84-95 both tuners

103c is 0 on tuner 1 ch 1 but then kicked up to 95 after the 2nd refresh and all are above 90; tuner 2 registered all 90+

so it appears my tuner 2 is dying on the hr20. Just went back to tuner 2 101 and have 5 zeros and a bunch of 50s readings..

i dont need OTA on the hr20 but i hate getting a refurb and i have tons to watch on the unit. Under the protection plan can i do a self install of a mailed out replacement if ever choose to do so? I'm fortunate that most of my HR20 recordings are the NEW hd channels and i presume not on the 101. HDtivo is for ota and SD stuff.
The current national release software for the HR20's has a bug with the signal strength screen which makes the values not always populate properly.

I PERSONALLY believe that bug ALSO affects some users while watching tv, creating false 771 messages for some users.

Good news is there is a new software being worked on and is apparently NEAR COMPLETETION, which means your receiver will probably be getting it within the next few weeks (but don't hold me to this since software is never done until directv says it is and actually begins sending it to people).

In the meantime, when the problem with live tv gets too bad to deal with, try restarting the receiver from the "system setup" menu. If the problem is not your wiring, dish, multiswitch, or a tuner going bad inside the receiver itself, then restarting the receiver should cure the problem at least temporarily.

P.S. - I'm NOT saying the problem is not the receiver, as it very well could be tuner #2 going bad and/or problems with wiring, multiswitch, or even the dish itself.

If you want more detailed help, I suggest you take the time to post ALL SIGNALS for ALL SATELLITES, and do that for both TUNER 1 & 2 ..... and if you decide to do this for us, then when you go into the signal screen, let it sit on each screen for a couple minutes so everything becomes populated properly before beginning to write everything down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.