DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm on ATT Uverse, and I'm having a lot of problems with the number of streams/people in my house, plus the price is getting ridiculously high. I was considering switching to Dish, going with individual DVRs instead of a whole-house like Uverse is, to help with the streams, but after about an hour of research I saw something that looked like I would have to pay $99 for each extra receiver. Is that true? Is there a place on the website I can go to pick a plan, pick the receivers I want, and see an upfront price + monthly estimate?

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
phrelin said:
Go here, pick a package and start the process.
Is there a way to pick the receivers? I went through the process, picked 5 TVs, and it stuck me with 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I want singles, because the TV schedule we're on in this house, it's easier to have all singles instead of some having to share boxes. Or am I better off just going into a store.

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
HERE are the receiver charges. They can add up pretty quick. You should really consider the 2H/3J solution. You'll get better advice here or from a DIRT member than at a store.

If you want our advice, we'll need a lot more details. How many SD and HDTV's? How often are they used? Can any share content? How much network content to you record? Does each independent TV need 1 tuner or 2? Do you need OTA? How much are you willing to spend? How my pairs of eyes will be watching different live programs simultaneously?

With Uverse, you had only 4 streams max. With 2 hoppers, you'll have at least 6 streams and 12 during prime-time.

· Hall Of Fame
6,220 Posts
issues636 said:
Right now I'm on ATT Uverse, and I'm having a lot of problems with the number of streams/people in my house, plus the price is getting ridiculously high. I was considering switching to Dish, going with individual DVRs instead of a whole-house like Uverse is, to help with the streams, but after about an hour of research I saw something that looked like I would have to pay $99 for each extra receiver. Is that true? Is there a place on the website I can go to pick a plan, pick the receivers I want, and see an upfront price + monthly estimate?
I had lots of U-verse. No TV service for 14 hours. Never again..

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
issues636 said:
Is there a way to pick the receivers? I went through the process, picked 5 TVs, and it stuck me with 2 hoppers and 3 joeys. I want singles, because the TV schedule we're on in this house, it's easier to have all singles instead of some having to share boxes. Or am I better off just going into a store.
We do need more info. But having 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys gives you five independently serviced TV's. It is, however, a complex system.

If you want 5 separate receivers (DVR's?) serving 5 separate TV's watched regularly and simultaneously by 5 or more different people in your household, unless you want to spend a lot of money you don't want Dish and I'm a very strong long-time Dish subscriber and supporter (and critic).

· Icon
837 Posts
Mojo: I didn't see the calculator. It looks like that is Dish's B2B site.

I have been trying to find something that is better than the regular ordering tool. Sometimes, it doesn't give you the best configuration or choices to fit individual needs. For example, if you have 2 HD and 2 SD TV's, it recommends a Hopper & 3 Joeys when you could also use 2 722Ks (which is cheaper per month).

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
jsk said:
Odd ... I see the calculator Mojo refers to. And although it is labeled "commercial" the receiver prices are the same as one would get via DISH's main website (except on the "commercial" site one can actually select two HD receivers and not get forced to Hopper/Joeys).

· Legend
146 Posts
"jsk" said:

I have been trying to find something that is better than the regular ordering tool. Sometimes, it doesn't give you the best configuration or choices to fit individual needs. For example, if you have 2 HD and 2 SD TV's, it recommends a Hopper & 3 Joeys when you could also use 2 722Ks (which is cheaper per month).
Since you brought up not being able to see it, I tried it on my iPod touch and it doesn't come up. However it comes up on my desktop pc. Odd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.