DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Godfather
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find a ROUGH estimate on when I can expect to get HD Locals in my DMA (Rochester, MN-Austin, MN-Mason City, IA). I know MANY people that live around me that REFUSE to get DTV until they can get their locals in HD. But I have been unable to find ANY info at all for my DMA.

· AllStar
89 Posts
About a month or 2 ago there was a list on here that had a timeline. I remember seeing it because I was excited to have an estimated date of November for my area. I think it followed an offical press release. I can't find it now, but I'll keep searching.

· Godfather
542 Posts
This is the list posted by D* for the rest of the year:
August: Augusta, GA.; Chattanooga, Tenn.; Lincoln-Hastings, Neb.; Rochester, N.Y.

September: Baton Rouge, La.; Burlington Vt.-Plattsburgh, N.Y.; Champaign-Springfield-Decatur, Ill.; Mobile AL-Pensacola, Fla.; Myrtle Beach-Florence, S.C.; Richmond-Petersburg, Va. ; South Bend-Elkhart, Ind.; Syracuse, N.Y.; Youngstown, Ohio
Add: Toledo OH

October: Boise, Idaho; Charleston, S.C.; Colorado Springs-Pueblo, Colo.; Columbia-Jefferson City, Mo.; Davenport, Iowa-Rock Island, Ill., Moline, Ill.; Dayton, Ohio; Evansville, Ind.; Fort Smith, Ark.; Greenville-New Bern-Washington, N.C.; Harlingen-Brownsville, Texas; Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.; Macon, Ga.; Norfolk-Newport News, Va.; Savannah, Ga.; Springfield-Holyoke, Mass.

November: Des Moines-Ames, Iowa; El Paso, Texas; Fort Wayne, Ind.; La Crosse-Eau Claire, Wis.; Peoria-Bloomington, Ill.; Rockford, Ill.; Sioux Falls, S.D.; Traverse City-Cadillac

December: Bangor, Maine; Beaumont-Port Arthur, Texas; Butte-Bozeman, Mont.; Harrisonburg, Va.; Tallahassee, Fla.
Add:
Palm Springs, CA and Dothan, AL will launch in December.
If not here, will probably be later in 2009.

· Legend
219 Posts
Crypter said:
I would like to find a ROUGH estimate on when I can expect to get HD Locals in my DMA (Rochester, MN-Austin, MN-Mason City, IA). I know MANY people that live around me that REFUSE to get DTV until they can get their locals in HD. But I have been unable to find ANY info at all for my DMA.
Hello neighbor!! (well. not litterally).. I've asked a few people that I know that install *D as well as all the great info here.. seems like we will never get HD locals :)..

of course.. all the smaller markets and DMA's around us (Mankato.. La Crosse, etc) have HD locals.. I'm still amazed that the Rochester DMA area is TINY even though we have a fair amount of people..

I think the people who make the lines are on some bad drugs.. :)

Either way.. I've hoped for the Rochester locals in HD since I've had *D.. I guess I'll keep waiting :) Not sure if the locals will come in HD of the Travel Channel HD will come on first :)

· AllStar
87 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as the original poster. I'm in the wheeling wv dma. Wheeling is number 159 on the list of dma population. Many people i know of won't switch to directv until they can get their locals. One thing that might possibly help our dma is the fact wheeling just recently got an abc station. So now we have all the networks in our dma. I'm thinking this may help our chances of us getting locals in the future.

Is 2009 the year for wheeling wv and the original poster dma to get locals? I'm just wondering if anyone knows the plans for locals next year. I know this year is probably out of the question because i have looked and our dma's are not on the list. Also will there be enough space on d'11 to hook up most all the locals or will we have to wait till d'12. I'm really hoping i can get locals sooner than later as i can't get any locals with an off air antenna cause i live in a valley. Thanks.

· Icon
908 Posts
xrobmn said:
Hello neighbor!! (well. not litterally).. I've asked a few people that I know that install *D as well as all the great info here.. seems like we will never get HD locals :)..

of course.. all the smaller markets and DMA's around us (Mankato.. La Crosse, etc) have HD locals.. I'm still amazed that the Rochester DMA area is TINY even though we have a fair amount of people..

I think the people who make the lines are on some bad drugs.. :)

Either way.. I've hoped for the Rochester locals in HD since I've had *D.. I guess I'll keep waiting :) Not sure if the locals will come in HD of the Travel Channel HD will come on first :)
Another neighbor :)

I'm pulling in all of the locals via OTA, but KIMT can be a little difficult at times considering it is 60 miles away! I've got an advantage living on the top of a ridge and I can see it darn near impossible for lots of people trying to pull in KIMT (CBS) or KAAL (ABC). If we ever get HD LIL, I'm going to re-aim my antenna toward LaCrosse or the cities.

· Godfather
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had D* long enough to have Waivers for CBS and ABC HD vis HD-DNS. I get the local NBC and FOX via a small indoor antenna. So I am covered for all the networks in HD. But the local ABC and CBS are not granting waivers anymore so a lot of people I know are screwed.

· Icon
908 Posts
Crypter said:
I have had D* long enough to have Waivers for CBS and ABC HD vis HD-DNS. I get the local NBC and FOX via a small indoor antenna. So I am covered for all the networks in HD. But the local ABC and CBS are not granting waivers anymore so a lot of people I know are screwed.
I've also got the CBS HD waiver and I know that it will disappear someday... For some good news, KAAL is trying to get FCC approval to move to the current KTTC digital site after the switchover (KTTC will be moving to its digital to its current analog site.) If this is approved, rabbit ears will get ABC as well :) Also, KYIN (Iowa public television, Mason City) just doubled their transmit power and I can receive them at 60-65%. They actually broadcast in HD, unlike KSMQ.

· Hall Of Fame
4,992 Posts
gib4500 said:
I'm in a similar situation as the original poster. I'm in the wheeling wv dma. Wheeling is number 159 on the list of dma population. Many people i know of won't switch to directv until they can get their locals. One thing that might possibly help our dma is the fact wheeling just recently got an abc station. So now we have all the networks in our dma. I'm thinking this may help our chances of us getting locals in the future.

Is 2009 the year for wheeling wv and the original poster dma to get locals? I'm just wondering if anyone knows the plans for locals next year. I know this year is probably out of the question because i have looked and our dma's are not on the list. Also will there be enough space on d'11 to hook up most all the locals or will we have to wait till d'12. I'm really hoping i can get locals sooner than later as i can't get any locals with an off air antenna cause i live in a valley. Thanks.
My DMA is #148 on the list Joplin. MO/Pittsburg. We have all 4 affiliates and E* has had them available for years. All 4 Affiliates General Managers have personally told me that they have offered to let D* air them for free but they have done nothing with it to this point.

· Registered
5,915 Posts
joshjr said:
My DMA is #148 on the list Joplin. MO/Pittsburg. We have all 4 affiliates and E* has had them available for years. All 4 Affiliates General Managers have personally told me that they have offered to let D* air them for free but they have done nothing with it to this point.
Its more than just permission to reair them.

Directv also has to have the proper station setup in the area to receive the broadcasts and encode/uplink them. They also have to allocate space on the satellites and space is limited.

· Hall Of Fame
4,992 Posts
Grentz said:
Its more than just permission to reair them.

Directv also has to have the proper station setup in the area to receive the broadcasts and encode/uplink them. They also have to allocate space on the satellites and space is limited.
I realize that. The only thing that makes me mad is to see smaller markets with locals when mine is offering it to D* free of charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.