DBSTalk Forum banner

Is there any way to transfer my recordings to my laptop?

3302 Views 30 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  dlvh
Hello,

Ok, I've had the HR20 for a couple of months now and I like it alot. It's not as nice as the series 2 tivo that I used to have but it works. One of the features that I loved about tivo was the tivo to go feature where you can transfer recordings to your pc via a wireless network.

Is there any way to do that with the hr20? Also, just big picture here, what are the long term plans for the HR20? The seem to keep coming out with software updates, so just wondering.

Thanks!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
In a word...not directly. Only way would be to copy them to your Tivo.
dervari said:
In a word...not directly. Only way would be to copy them to your Tivo.
Yeah, here's a fun way to do it.
You could save your recording to a VHS tape using the RCA Composite outputs Then you could transfer them with a DV Out feature on your camcorder using it as a passthrough device to your laptop. Each tranfer would be in real time. Then you would have massive .avi files you could convert to smaller .mpg files. Is it worth your time to do that?

I'm sure there are easier ways.
mikeny said:
Yeah, here's a fun way to do it.
You could save your recording to a VHS tape using the RCA Composite outputs Then you could transfer them with a DV Out feature on your camcorder using it as a passthrough device to your laptop. Each tranfer would be in real time. Then you would have massive .avi files you could convert to smaller .mpg files. Is it worth your time to do that?

I'm sure there are easier ways.
No need to use VHS. I've used my Digital Camcorder (Sony Mini-DV if it matters.)

Just use video out to the camcorder, and FireWire to a PC to a AVI file.
Sure you can. Use an ESATA drive to hold the recording, then move the ESATA drive to your computer, transfer the files, and find they are totally useless...:rolleyes:

Ok, so its not a very useful suggestion. Have a Merry Christmas, anyway!
Tom
I am pretty sure the actual recording is raw compressed, scrambled satellite feed. This means it has to be decoded by a D* legal subscribed unit. Even if you pulled hard drive and put it in another unit it probably won't work as there is likely a security bond between authorization card and hard drive.

The HDMI is suppose to have a security authorization overlay (which is likely the root cause of many of the HDMI problems reported) which is suppose to keep you from taking the digital HDMI component feed and re-encode/record it.

The next best would be a component analog video recoder. There are computer cards available but they are not cheap.

After that, and likely the most practical to most, is taking the S-Video feed into a recorder (computer video card).

Last choice would be composite video.

The S-Video and composite are 480i "crunches" of the display mode. This means if you set playback for anything other then 480i you will get 'skinny' output.

As the recording is raw feed, you can change the playback to any resolution you want. ie: change it to 480i to record the S-Video output.
See less See more
I copy from the DVR to a DVD recorder, then transfer it to a PC from the DVD.
In my opinion, this is one of the features that TiVo has that beats D* hands down. With TiVo, you can even hold several "copied" programs on any computer working on your wireless network.
raw6464 said:
I copy from the DVR to a DVD recorder, then transfer it to a PC from the DVD.
Ditto
CharlesSchwab said:
In my opinion, this is one of the features that TiVo has that beats D* hands down. With TiVo, you can even hold several "copied" programs on any computer working on your wireless network.
For some reason, I really don't think DirecTV cares about being better than Tivo at that. :lol:
Let's see...:confused:

This makes 11 replies. If we got a dollar for every reply we almost have enough to buy the DVD. For 50 cents per reply, we could rent it and record it and still have enough left over to pay for the blank DVD.

This is not a feature provided by the HR20. Maybe one day...

Just poking a bee hive...:lol: !Devil_lol :smoking: :joy: :kickbutt: !pride :uglyhamme :goodjob: :biggthump :icon_kiff :feelbette :flaiming !danger: :icon_peac :flag:
Spanky_Partain said:

This makes 11 replies. If we got a dollar for every reply we almost have enough to buy the DVD. For 50 cents per reply, we could rent it and record it and still have enough left over to pay for the blank DVD.

Just poking a bee hive...:lol: !Devil_lol :smoking: :joy: :kickbutt: !pride :uglyhamme :goodjob: :biggthump :icon_kiff :feelbette :flaiming !danger: :icon_peac :flag:
YEP
I have a wintv box.. if I want to spend an hour recording it and 4 reformating to burn in dvd format, works great (also only 1 hour per disk, thats 2 for a movie) I can 'save' 20$.. lets see that works out to $3/hour for my time? .....:rolleyes:
Spanky_Partain said:

I can see why your confused...:confused:

It's "replies" like this that turns forums into junk. A how to question was asked and you reply with a sarcastic imaginary improbable opinion on the cost benefit :bonk1:
Nothing wrong with humor...

I did answer the question...

Sorry if you took offense in it...
raw6464 said:
I can see why your confused...:confused:

It's "replies" like this that turns forums into junk. A how to question was asked and you reply with a sarcastic imaginary improbable opinion on the cost benefit :bonk1:
hey - lighten up - some active members spend a lot of time at no charge to us non-techies in providing answers to our (at least my) fundamental and sometimes dumb questions. No reason to slam someone willing to answer your question even with a little venting.

:)
I use a convert X from plextor.com sends recorded programs to my computer but it is in real time (same speed as watching the program)but i can send it while i watch someting else so its not to bad
jfolliard said:
hey - lighten up - some active members spend a lot of time at no charge to us non-techies in providing answers to our (at least my) fundamental and sometimes dumb questions. No reason to slam someone willing to answer your question even with a little venting.

:)
Spanky_Partain said:
Nothing wrong with humor...

I did answer the question...

Sorry if you took offense in it...
"Lighten up"?

There is absolutely NO reason to respond with sarcastic answers, NONE. It was a sarcastic imaginary improbable opinion on the cost benefit of copying a DVD from a DVR versus buying one, with the number of posts in the thread thrown in. And the orginal question was never answered... WE DO KNOW "the feature is not provided by the HR20" THATS WHY THE QUESTION WAS ASKED.

For the record, the response in question was not a response to ANY question I asked nor was it answered to the thread originator, nor did I take personal offence, nor do I agree that there is nothing wrong a "little humor" with a "little venting" when it is at somebody else's expense, know matter how "little" the humor or venting may be.

I don't intended to debate this issue. You do what you want. But if this forum wants skilled contributors to post, they best stop this BS in the bud. Even any inference of personal flaming or ridicule should be responded with clear and present consequences.
See less See more
Wow, the ignore list is great! Thanks raw6464!!!

It is quite time consuming to try and get recordings from an already recorded show on the HR20 as stated above.
raw6464 said:
"Lighten up"?

There is absolutely NO reason to respond with sarcastic answers, NONE. It was a sarcastic imaginary improbable opinion on the cost benefit of copying a DVD from a DVR versus buying one, with the number of posts in the thread thrown in. And the orginal question was never answered... WE DO KNOW "the feature is not provided by the HR20" THATS WHY THE QUESTION WAS ASKED.

For the record, the response in question was not a response to ANY question I asked nor was it answered to the thread originator, nor did I take personal offence, nor do I agree that there is nothing wrong a "little humor" with a "little venting" when it is at somebody else's expense, know matter how "little" the humor or venting may be.

I don't intended to debate this issue. You do what you want. But if this forum wants skilled contributors to post, they best stop this BS in the bud. Even any inference of personal flaming or ridicule should be responded with clear and present consequences.
Like I said - please lighten up! :)
Wow, 5 posts and ready to lecture the forum on how to act. It's a real mystery how this forum managed to survive prior to your presence...
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.