DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of this cable to go from a pole mounted dish to the house.

http://www.solidsignal.tv/prod_display.asp?PROD=1840ACBLK

Since you need to run 4 lines from the 5 LNB dish, I thought I could do two runs of this.

The dish will be pole mounted away from the house, so this cable will be buried within PVC piping.

From what I've read, the bare copper is better than bare copper covered steel, correct?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
That URL didn't work. If it is a cable with two side-by-side runs of RG-6 plus a messenger wire, that sounds like what the Ironwood installer used on half of my installation (he left the existing wires). It wasn't that brand, but Belden is a very good cable supplier. It should be bare copper, especially for long runs. You should use compression fittings.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. The one I had picked didn't have the messenger wire. I guess I need that?

Other than that, it was just as you described.

·
Banned
614 Posts
O'C;692625 said:
What do you guys think of this cable to go from a pole mounted dish to the house.

Edit: I can't figure out how to get the URL to work...Sorry about that.

Since you need to run 4 lines from the 5 LNB dish, I thought I could do two runs of this.

The dish will be pole mounted away from the house, so this cable will be buried within PVC piping.

From what I've read, the bare copper is better than bare copper covered steel, correct?

Thanks,

Chris
Chris, the cable should be RG6 and should be marked 2300MHz. If your unsure call Belden and ask first before you order. You can buy this RG6 at Loews or Home Depot, they only carry RG6 for 3000MHz which most installers are using this grade of RG6 now for new installs. My installer used RG6 3000MHz.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
O'C;692664 said:
Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. The one I had picked didn't have the messenger wire. I guess I need that?

Other than that, it was just as you described.
No, the messenger wire is to support cable tv runs from the pole to the house.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
The link worked for me. That same site has installation videos for the HR-20 and the AT-9 dish and I believe it says in one of those videos that "RG-6 with solid copper center conductors" is required. If that's what you read or saw, you're on the right track.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Canis Lupus said:
The link worked for me. That same site has installation videos for the HR-20 and the AT-9 dish and I believe it says in one of those videos that "RG-6 with solid copper center conductors" is required. If that's what you read or saw, you're on the right track.
The OP edited the link so it works now.

That sounds like a good cable and as I said previously, Belden has a good reputation (they have been in the cable business for a very long time).

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
My only concern would be the cable is only swept above 950MHz. The new AT9 will put frequencies down in the 250 range.

The messenger wire is used to support the cable in aerial installations so the weight of the cable is on the wire and not the cable.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Herdfan said:
My only concern would be the cable is only swept above 950MHz. The new AT9 will put frequencies down in the 250 range.

The messenger wire is used to support the cable in aerial installations so the weight of the cable is on the wire and not the cable.
Ahh, So the fact that mine is pole-mounted would be the reason I don't have a "messenger" wire. Its really more like a support wire, it doesn't actually send messages?

Thanks!

JW

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Herdfan said:

If it works well from 950-2150, 250-750 won't be a problem. The issues with coaxial cables occur at higher frequencies. Dielectric and shield losses predominate, unless you get into the regions where modes other than TEM (transverse electromagnetic) can propagate, and these generally increase with frequency.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone.

Based on some additional reading, I got the impression that the messenger wire also served as a ground wire. Is that necessary?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.