DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped at a local Dish network dealer about a 1/2 hr away from me. I'll withhold the dealer name for the purpose of this discussion.

I inquired as to the cost of having a dish installed onto my existing system aimed for 61.5. My current installation is a Dish 500 mounted on a tripod and 10 ft mast on singlestory house with a SW64 switch already installed so all he would have to do is attach dish to mast aim for 61.5 and attach 2 runs of rg6 approx 20 ft to my SW64 and walk away.

This is what he quote for the price.

$125 FOR THE DISH WITH DUAL OUTPUT LNB.

LABOR WAS $65 AN HOUR FROM THE TIME HE LEAVES HIS SHOP AND RETURNS. (Appox. traveltime only 1hr roundtrip) 21 miles each way.

Do you think this is a ripoff???? Bearing in mind the hard work is done just go on the roof and install it. (Ican't climb anymore)

What do you think??
Bob Hale N1WBD

Wonder if Dish would like to know about this deal?
or am I making too much out of this scenario?
:shrug:

·
Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
I thought Dish is supposed to come out and install this dish for free, due to the must-carry law that went into effect on January 1st of this year. If so, then you're definately getting ripped off! You should report this to Dish Network immediately, because this dealer is making Dish look bad without it even being their fault! Send a letter to [email protected] and demand a response. Many people on this board have gotten responses by e-mailing to that address, and usually the problem is fixed promptly with no hassle.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
I see that you are in Grafton, NH. IF you have Boston locals available in your area from the spotbeam, and are in the Boston DMA, and some Boston channels are on the 61.5 satellite, Dish will supply and install the 61.5 dish for free. If the above is not the case and you are installing the dish for something other than your local DMA channels (Sky Angel for instance) then I suspect the above pricing is not too far off base. Might be a bit high on the hardware area, but about right or maybe even a bit low on the labor portion. I typically charge $75 an hour for labor and $50 per hour for travel time to customers who did not buy the original system from me. Overall it looks like a wash.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I only want the dish for future expansion. I'm 1 town outside the Boston DMA so no locals for me but I want it cause as they say It's there. plus when I lived in Epping,NH I had it and I miss TV Japan and their News that was fta at various times of the day. Besides I may want to add a 6000 to my system later.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
As usual the intrepid R KIng is right. Unless you need the DISH to receive locals it is NOT free. If a dealer inastalled he would be compensated by DISH if you were covered---but you are not.

I think DISH should give them to all but they don't. But in any event it is not the dealer's fault.

And RKing this is getting annoying You are alwys so logical. Can't you just let us rant and rave?

·
Icon
524 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin
I thought Dish is supposed to come out and install this dish for free, due to the must-carry law that went into effect on January 1st of this year. If so, then you're definately getting ripped off! You should report this to Dish Network immediately, because this dealer is making Dish look bad without it even being their fault! Send a letter to [email protected] and demand a response. Many people on this board have gotten responses by e-mailing to that address, and usually the problem is fixed promptly with no hassle.
I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone was :Going to report our company to Dish" (LOL).

Remember, dealers are independant businesses and can basically charge what they want for whatever work they are going to perform.

Even if a promo states a certain amount, the dealer can charge more or less if he wants to. Dish can not do anything about that fact, they even tell dealers that if there is a particuarly difficult install, hit the customer for an upcharge.

Also the statement: All you have to do is run a few wires: can come back to haunt an installer real quick.

The above charges from that dealer may be slightly high, but when you are busy as He** in any business, you are in a position to name your price :shrug:

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Check around there is probably more then one dealer in your area.

A good site to find dealers is http://dumpcable.com/locator.htm

It always pays to shop around, but remember the installers out there are not going to give you breaks on things because they like you, they are out there working to make money. They go to work every day like you and I do, while many of us consider DBS a hobby to these folks its their job. :)

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Without the possibility of snagging additional locals on 61.5, what the dealer proposes sounds reasonable to me. It doesn't sound like your budget is tight if you are looking at adding a 6000 in the future.

I say go for it and faggettabout the price. :D

Nickster :cool:

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well folks, thanks for all the responses. I called my original dealer that I bought my system from when I lived in Epping he's now 70 miles from Grafton NH he says he services this area and all the way up to Pittsburg NH near the Canada border. He's gonna do the job for me next trip thru the area for 50 bucks installed and thats with a 30" dish that he has laying around. I told him about this scenario with the other dealer. His response was "I want repeat business from my customers"

I guess I now know who to refer all my friends to for a system. :D

I guess a good motto to remember would be "Don't hose a customer. It'll cost you in the long run for repeat business and referrals.":D

·
Hall Of Fame
2,027 Posts
Gosh, have you considered installing it yourself? With the switch already in place, sounds like you could do this in about an hour including cleanup time....

Second idea, since you don't need this install done right away, ask the installer if he will let you know when there is another job in your area, so you can lower the travel time charge.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Check around there is probably more then one dealer in your area.

A good site to find dealers is http://dumpcable.com/locator.htm

It always pays to shop around, but remember the installers out there are not going to give you breaks on things because they like you, they are out there working to make money. They go to work every day like you and I do, while many of us consider DBS a hobby to these folks its their job. :)
I understand that Scott, but also you don't try to make a week's pay off 1 customer you won't be in business very long before word of mouth gets you in the end. I know dealers make their money off new subscribers in commissions from Dish. My dealer told me what he gets on new installs. So I could understand if the dealer just did'nt want the service job and priced it high so i would just go away. But by the same token he could have just said I don't want the job.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by lee635
Gosh, have you considered installing it yourself? With the switch already in place, sounds like you could do this in about an hour including cleanup time....

Second idea, since you don't need this install done right away, ask the installer if he will let you know when there is another job in your area, so you can lower the travel time charge.
I would do it myself but I can't climb roofs due to physical problems.

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Kevin
Kevin that was'nt the purpose of the question I was just asking if the price was excessive.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
I called my original dealer
Good move. You are always best off dealing with your original dealer, for his loyalty to you if nothing else. I reduce costs significantly to my repeat customers who purchased systems from me. When I get a service call from someone who didn't buy from me I normally will quote my "non sale" rates and then suggest that they call the dealer who sold the system originally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.