DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I was watching FNC and at 10pm the tuner stops giving me FNC. One tuner became busy with CSI:NY and another with another scheduled SL. Rather than switching to one of the shows I was recording, the HR20 gave me a list of what was being recorded, and a blank picture in the picture-in-guide list window.

I like this--it didn't spoil my later viewing by showing live what was being recorded, but reminded me "hey, we can't show you the show you were watching because you're recording THESE, remember?" I could have chosen to watch a show previously recorded, but didn't so turned the TV off.

If this is a feature, I really like it. Was it a glitchy accident, or is this the way it should be? If so, nice change from the Tivo which would just change the channel for me.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
I positive the "choice" has been there from the beginning.

But the "blank screen", I am 90% sure that has been all along as well, but not positive.

·
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it a lot, if so. It's an understanding that we DVR to timeshift, not to archive. :)

I'll have to see if it does it the same way soon.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Capmeister said:
Last night I was watching FNC and at 10pm the tuner stops giving me FNC. One tuner became busy with CSI:NY and another with another scheduled SL. Rather than switching to one of the shows I was recording, the HR20 gave me a list of what was being recorded, and a blank picture in the picture-in-guide list window.

I like this--it didn't spoil my later viewing by showing live what was being recorded, but reminded me "hey, we can't show you the show you were watching because you're recording THESE, remember?" I could have chosen to watch a show previously recorded, but didn't so turned the TV off.

If this is a feature, I really like it. Was it a glitchy accident, or is this the way it should be? If so, nice change from the Tivo which would just change the channel for me.
Have you tried watching both the recordings yet? The only time I've experienced the blank picture, I experienced the unwatchable recording.

Cheers,
Tom

·
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tibber said:
Have you tried watching both the recordings yet? The only time I've experienced the blank picture, I experienced the unwatchable recording.

Cheers,
Tom
Yeah, I wondered if there might be a problem, so scanned thru both at FFx4 just to check. Both are there.

It didn't seem like a glitch, but I wasn't sure. In the PIG window was channel 360, just not showing a picture. Showing as being recorded was CSI:NY and Mythbusters (the end of it--I have it go over) so for the time that both tuners were recording, the HR20 shows me the list of what was recording and didn't switch the PIG window to one of them. I like that. I didn't want to see the end of one show or the beginning of another I'm recording.

I am impressed if not showing anything in the PIG window is the planned result.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Capmeister said:
Yeah, I wondered if there might be a problem, so scanned thru both at FFx4 just to check. Both are there.

It didn't seem like a glitch, but I wasn't sure. In the PIG window was channel 360, just not showing a picture. Showing as being recorded was CSI:NY and Mythbusters (the end of it--I have it go over) so for the time that both tuners were recording, the HR20 shows me the list of what was recording and didn't switch the PIG window to one of them. I like that. I didn't want to see the end of one show or the beginning of another I'm recording.

I am impressed if not showing anything in the PIG window is the planned result.
Whew! Thats good. Now that I think about it, I may not have been watching my units when they've moved to other channels to dual record, aside from the one time. Everything else was likely single or tuner already tuned to the recorded channel.

I'll have to play with that, it does sound cool.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
2,320 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I positive the "choice" has been there from the beginning.

But the "blank screen", I am 90% sure that has been all along as well, but not positive.
Hmm each time I have had the dual record and watching something else scenario it gave me an option to stay watching and cacnel one of the recordings or keep going with recording. Never saw a blank screen but I always chose a cancel since I dual record everything and wanted to stay watching the live show.

·
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
spidey said:
Hmm each time I have had the dual record and watching something else scenario it gave me an option to stay watching and cacnel one of the recordings or keep going with recording. Never saw a blank screen but I always chose a cancel since I dual record everything and wanted to stay watching the live show.
It might have--I was not paying attention to the screen until the sound was gone, as I was playing a game online. :D

Suddenly, it's 10pm and the sounds is gone. I look up and it's listing my recordings with what is being recorded and the PIG window is blank, and I thought, woah--glad it didn't just move me to CSI and spoil me.

·
AllStar
76 Posts
I had a similar experience yesterday, for the first time. I stepped out to pick up some food and the screen was black. No sound or picture at all. My first thought was I lost a recording. There was no choice of which recording to watch. When I hit "play" the show name was listed, and when I hit ffwd, nothing happened.

I then hit "List" and chose each scheduled recording and they both played. I was able to watch both shows in their entirety, with no issues. While I thought this was a very odd behavior for the box, I was glad that I did not get an unplayable or cancelled recording.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.