DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
504 Posts
Is there new, innovative information to be shared about DTV receivers?

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,725 Posts
All my 17 DVR’s are rocking right along with no issues- most of them have reliable SSD’s- Life is good! If something does happen, I’ll be standing in the back of the room ready to communicate. 👍

• Wow
Reactions: MurphieNB

·
Super Moderator
53,878 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
How many customers has DTV hemorrhaged off in the last 5 years?
A few years ago I heard they had about 20 million. Recently I heard something like 14 million. Neither is an official number and I don't know how accurate, but I think it is safe to say "a lot". The first number was before the AT&T takeover, and the lower number after they broke it off into independence. Good work AT&T, driving another business into the ground.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A few years ago I heard they had about 20 million. Recently I heard something like 14 million. Neither is an official number and I don't know how accurate, but I think it is safe to say "a lot". The first number was before the AT&T takeover, and the lower number after they broke it off into independence. Good work AT&T, driving another business into the ground.
The number for DirecTV Satellite is closer to 10 million, the 14 million includes Uverse and DirecTV Stream subscribers.

In 2015 ( when AT&T closed the deal) they had 20 million, went up to 21 million by the end of 2016, basically means they have lost 10-11 million in just 6 years.

·
Super Moderator
53,878 Posts
The number for DirecTV Satellite is closer to 10 million, the 14 million includes Uverse and DirecTV Stream subscribers.
All "estimates" unfortunately ... the last official report was 15.4 million at the end of June 2021 (satellite and stream), down from 20 million at the end of 2019 and 24 million at the end of 2018. Their peak was the end of 2016 when AT&T|DIRECTV had 25.5 million subscribers (21 million satellite subscribers). AT&T|DIRECTV stopped reporting satellite subscribers separately at the end of 2018.

The 14 million ESTIMATE is probably right. I'm not sure about the split.

Would DTV run out of customers to be profitable before the satellite's run out fuel and then just decide to shut down?
It could be an interesting debate to determine how few customers it would take to remain profitable. AT&T|DIRECTV made $101 per subscriber in 2019 and $95 per subscriber in 2020 with 3 million less subscribers. Not a huge difference. Hopefully the slide has slowed down. They could probably get down to 4-5 million and still be profitable.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
All "estimates" unfortunately ... the last official report was 15.4 million at the end of June 2021 (satellite and stream), down from 20 million at the end of 2019 and 24 million at the end of 2018. Their peak was the end of 2016 when AT&T|DIRECTV had 25.5 million subscribers (21 million satellite subscribers). AT&T|DIRECTV stopped reporting satellite subscribers separately at the end of 2018.

The 14 million ESTIMATE is probably right. I'm not sure about the split.

It could be an interesting debate to determine how few customers it would take to remain profitable. AT&T|DIRECTV made $101 per subscriber in 2019 and $95 per subscriber in 2020 with 3 million less subscribers. Not a huge difference. Hopefully the slide has slowed down. They could probably get down to 4-5 million and still be profitable.
Then after shutting down DTV how many customers would make DTV Stream profitable before they would shut that down?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts