DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to copy a number of very long SD programs, 3-4 hours each, no copyright protection. There's about 30 episodes recorded.

Is it possible to pull the hard drive out of a HR20-100, mount it to a Linux box, then copy the files? This would seem to be the easiest way to do this rather than recording them to a video capture card in my PC in real time.

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
Sorry, what you are suggesting almost certainly would be a violation of Copyright rules (despite the lack of protection). Your only alternative is to record the output with a DVD recorder.

· Hall Of Fame
1,302 Posts
homebase said:
Well, the items are for my personal archive so I'm not sure if I would be violating any copyright laws. ...they won't be appearing on YouTube at all. :)
Whatever the stated reason for your copy, the shows are encrypted with a key specific to the DVR that recorded them. It is possible to dupe the disk and then put it aside, but it could only be used on that same DVR.

Since they are SD, however, there is no reason that you could not play them out in sequence and record them. Even a VCR would work.

· Icon
934 Posts
Not only are the recordings encrypted, but the HRxx uses a proprietary file system that is not readable with ordinary tools. I have not heard that anyone has been able to work it out. I would also expect that recordings are not in "files" in the traditional sense.

· Legend
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sbl said:
Not only are the recordings encrypted, but the HRxx uses a proprietary file system that is not readable with ordinary tools. I have not heard that anyone has been able to work it out. I would also expect that recordings are not in "files" in the traditional sense.
Sounds akin to the file system that VMware uses for ESX, vmfs.

· Mr. FixAnything
27,974 Posts
sbl said:
Not true.
Find a thread here where is described expanding disk space by using replacement disk.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
P Smith said:
Not true.
Find a thread here where is described expanding disk space by using replacement disk.
That thread only tells you how to copy the entire contents of the filesystem from one disk to another. It did not address the extraction or copying of a single recording or subset of the recording on the entire disk. Today, the only way to extract individual programs is via analog outputs, which means recording then in "real time" to DVD or other media.

I don't want to break any copyright or DMCA laws, but I would like a way to hold onto some of my recordings in such a way that they (a) don't take up valuable space on my active DVR disk and (b) aren't susceptible to random DVR failures that cause them to be erased.

There has been some discussion here recently about a rumored D* DVR with a Blu-Ray disc player (or burner?) built-in. It's probably just "vaporware" or the product of a vivid imagination. Many people said that having a built-in player is not a good idea because it's just one more thing to fail and the only gain is to use a little less cabinet space. Of course the though of a burner in the DVR was immediately dismissed as unacceptable because it would allow pristine digital copies and be prohibited by the content owners.

Case closed, right? Well, what if the DVR did have a built-in Blu-Ray burner, but the content burned was still encrypted? The only way to view it would be to play it in that very same DVR, as its encryption key would be tied to the specific hardware. In this case, it's no different than recording to the hard disk, but it solve the problems of your "keepers" filling up valuable disk space and having to worry that it might get erased due to some weird hardware burp or disk failure. Hmm…

· Mr. FixAnything
27,974 Posts
Actually that thread tell you how to make a copy to equal or bigger disk without breaking any law including DMCA. Unfortunately for you it will does whole set, BUT for smart ppl there is no roadblock - run your PVR with new disk and erase other programs.

And my remark was targeting other individual who missed mentioned thread and mistakenly post wrong info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.