DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i put a DVR in one room,record and watch what i recorded in another room on my big screen tv and also watch TV in the first room?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
420benz said:
Can i put a DVR in one room,record and watch what i recorded in another room on my big screen tv and also watch TV in the first room?
No - you could watch the same thing on 2 different TVs at the same time if you run a long set of cables to the 2nd TV and use a different type of output (eg. HDMI to TV 1 and Composite to TV 2). All outputs are always active but will always show the same picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Starchy77 said:
No - you could watch the same thing on 2 different TVs at the same time if you run a long set of cables to the 2nd TV and use a different type of output (eg. HDMI to TV 1 and Composite to TV 2). All outputs are always active but will always show the same picture.
The DVR in room #1 is not HD.I just want to record more channels on second DVR in room #1 but i want to watch the recordings on big TV in room # 2.Will the recorded programs on DVR in room #1 show up on the Play List.Is this too much to ask?
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
308 Posts
420benz said:
The DVR in room #1 is not HD.I just want to record more channels on second DVR in room #1 but i want to watch the recordings on big TV in room # 2.Will the recorded programs on DVR in room #1 show up on the Play List.Is this too much to ask?
The recordings will only show up on the playlist on the DVR that they were recorded on. What you are looking for is called MRV - you should be able to find some info in this forum on the subject, but it is not yet available from DTV. I'm sure many people (including myself) are waiting for this to happen. I am hoping that it will show up as a feature on the current model DVR's that are out there, but I am not sure about it. Maybe someone else can shed some more light on the subject or direct you to a link that talks about it in more detail.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,682 Posts
420benz said:
Can i put a DVR in one room,record and watch what i recorded in another room on my big screen tv and also watch TV in the first room?
Cough Dish Network Cough :lol: And one day, maybe, on D* :grin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installer just left.I only have one line going into the DVR.I can only record one program.He "thinks'' if i run two more lines to the DVR with a splitter and run one line to TV#2 That i could watch what i recorded in room #1.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
I'm a bit lost with your setup but:
If you have a SD DVR that has a coax [RF] output, then you could split that between the TV there and run a cable to the "other" TV. You would need to have an RF remote to control the DVR in the other room, but "it should work".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
veryoldschool said:
I'm a bit lost with your setup but:
If you have a SD DVR that has a coax [RF] output, then you could split that between the TV there and run a cable to the "other" TV. You would need to have an RF remote to control the DVR in the other room, but "it should work".
Sorry: But i do not know what RF stands for.TV#2 is the main tv with an HR-20-100 The new DVR is SD.The controller is an RC32
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
420benz said:
Sorry: But i do not know what RF stands for.TV#2 is the main tv with an HR-20-100 The new DVR is SD.The controller is an RC32
The remote [RC 32] is only IR, and doesn't support "Radio Frequency" mode.
You would need an RC 34 or RC 32RF [or one of the other "RF" remotes].

The infra red remotes are line of sight, so they can't go through walls to control a receiver in another room, like an RF will.
Now "just" getting an RF remote won't help if the receiver doesn't support RF remotes too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JACKHAWK said:
You can order a transmitter - receiver from x10.com for around $49.

I have two of them & I can record on one dvr & watch the recording in a different room. It is not HD.

JACKHAWK
With only one cable coming into the new DVR i can only record one channel and i must watch what i am recording.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
New idea: If i move the new sdDVR from room #2 and sit on top of my HR-20,run 3 cables to it run another cable into the main tv then with a splitter run another cable into room # 1 into the other TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
420benz said:
New idea: If i move the new sdDVR from room #2 and sit on top of my HR-20,run 3 cables to it run another cable into the main tv then with a splitter run another cable into room # 1 into the other TV.
Just spoke to a D* tech. and he said that the above would work but when i put a splitter on the SDDVR to the TV in the other room i might get [Searching for Sat.] on some channels.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
420benz said:
Just spoke to a D* tech. and he said that the above would work but when i put a splitter on the SDDVR to the TV in the other room i might get [Searching for Sat.] on some channels.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
If you're using the splitter on the "OUTPUT" [channel 3/4] how the hell could you get that message? :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
veryoldschool said:
:confused: :confused: :confused:
If you're using the splitter on the "OUTPUT" [channel 3/4] how the hell could you get that message? :nono:
It seems to me that the people at D* are just guessing.I think i will call them back and have them move the SDDVR into the same room as the HR-20,run two more cables to it and use a splitter over to the other room.I think i will need a new remote for the SDDVR so it does not effect the HR-20
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
420benz said:
It seems to me that the people at D* are just guessing.I think i will call them back and have them move the SDDVR into the same room as the HR-20,run two more cables to it and use a splitter over to the other room.I think i will need a new remote for the SDDVR so it does not effect the HR-20
"I think" you can program the remote [under AV1 or 2] so it can work with both DVRs in IR mode. I use RF mode and control three receivers all next to each other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
veryoldschool said:
"I think" you can program the remote [under AV1 or 2] so it can work with both DVRs in IR mode. I use RF mode and control three receivers all next to each other.
How do i switch to RF mode? Do i need a new RF remote?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Michael D'Angelo;1764055 said:
You do need an RF capable remote but to switch the receiver to RF press menu-->Parental, Fav's & Setup-->System Setup-->Remote-->IR/RF Setup-->change it to RF and follow the instructions.
I learn something every time i visit this forum.Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got off the phone with a Tech.from the Insurance Dep't since i took out Ins. last mo.He told me that D* does not install Two DVR'S in the same room as a normal instulation.It is considerd a custum instulation.They want 99.00 + 25.00 for an RF remote.I can move the SDDVR into the room with the HR-20,run two cables to it and run another cable into the other room.I do not know where to connect the SDDVR to the TV or where to Conn. the cable from the SDDVR into the other room.All of the Components are full.I have two s-videos'one Ant.in and one Ant Air.Iam running the HD-20 off the HDMI.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top