DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the information discussed in this thread on the "other forum" correct to anyone's knowledge?

That ALL currently supplied DIRECTV dishes from the standard 18" round to the World Direct Int'l are now adapted and only to be used with the 2" OD mast of the Slimlines?

I knew this was to happen to the World Direct dish as a replacement for its former 1 7/8" mast, but wasn't aware of the elimination of the super far more ubiquitous 1 5/8" mast of the Phase I round and Phase III triple sat dishes.

Wow, unless theres a strong likelihood of a future HD upgrade. Talk about structural overkill for an SD install by using a heavy duty Slimline footing and mast just to support a lightweight 18" round dish or the slightly heavier triple sat. one. :rolleyes:

· Hall Of Fame
3,263 Posts
Reading this thread made me go out and check a recent SD installation near my office and it is indeed a 2" mast on an 18" single LNB dish.

I think it would simplify inventory as installers now only have to carry one style of mast instead of two.

· Legend
244 Posts
samrs said:
For the last six months to a year everything is 2" OD.

So long as the mast is installed correctly it dosen't matter.
we been on strictly 2" for about a year now. Its simplifying things in the long term but it creates a hassle when you have to replace a damaged 1 5/8" or relocate one on a service call. Gotta build a new dish and/or put in a new mount.

"A tree branch fell on my dish and snapped the arm"
"ok I can replace it but now I gotta put six new holes in your roof, sorry sir/ma'am"

· Legend
234 Posts
Yes, everything uses a 2" mount now. It was all part of an installation simplification initiative. They also got rid of 4x8 and 4x4 multiswitches as part of the simplification.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.