DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Mentor
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching what about brian tonight on the HD ABC (i believe) and the show was listed as HD but the show was not in widescreen. I understand that commercials will not be, but I thought all HD shows were supposed to be.

· Legend
128 Posts
Could of been a local broadcast bug like I had last week. Lost was SD for 1/2 the episode and it switched over after a commercial break. This was ota on a HR10 my guess is the local station mess up. Did not make me to happy lost is one of those shows much better in HD.

· AllStar
82 Posts
My HD local CBS station has this problem whenever there's a weather warning, election updates, child missing, etc. They overlay the information on the screen, but that forces everything into 4:3 instead of 16:9. An entire evenings worth of HD programming usually winds up in SD 4:3.

· Icon
777 Posts
I wonder if as stations start ramping up for HD news the overlay problem will go away. Seems if they can overlay on top of the local HD news they should be able to overlay an HD network feed.

· Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,178 Posts
This is still relatively new to a lot of broadcast stations. I noticed my local NBC was running things in SD letterbox and not HD widescreen last night. As HD becomes more and more the standard (and the people who run/own the station notice what they're broadcasting), this will probably happen less frequently.

· Legend
181 Posts
SockMonkey said:
On my Baltimore HD local ABC station, Wheel of Fortune is listed as HD in the guide but airs in 4:3 format.
That is because they don't yet have the equipment to air syndicated shows in HD. It should be up and running in a couple of months. The DC affiliate are in the same situation though they haven't announced the new gear yet as far as I know. Maybe this will give them a push, there must be many subscribers who get either channel OTA.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
At the beginning of What About Brian, it was in 4:3 and the audio was off. Then all of the sudden, it switched to 16:9 and the audio was fine. I FF'ed through the opening and first commericals and it was back to 4:3 and the audio was way off. I blamed it on the local ABC affiliate, at least that's what I told my wife and then we watched it in SD on the R10 backup. This is the first problem I've had with a recording since I got it on Friday night.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
mtnagel said:
At the beginning of What About Brian, it was in 4:3 and the audio was off. Then all of the sudden, it switched to 16:9 and the audio was fine. I FF'ed through the opening and first commericals and it was back to 4:3 and the audio was way off. I blamed it on the local ABC affiliate, at least that's what I told my wife and then we watched it in SD on the R10 backup. This is the first problem I've had with a recording since I got it on Friday night.
Yes, your ABC station forgot to "flip the switch" to HD. Nothing to do with DirecTV, they just provide the signal given to them by the local HD station. Many, many of the local affiliates are still mickey mouse organizations when it comes to HD.

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Yes, your ABC station forgot to "flip the switch" to HD. Nothing to do with DirecTV, they just provide the signal given to them by the local HD station. Many, many of the local affiliates are still mickey mouse organizations when it comes to HD.
But does that explain the audio sync issues? And what about the fact that is was 4:3, then 16:9, then 4:3 again?

· Registered
5,952 Posts
mtnagel said:
But does that explain the audio sync issues? And what about the fact that is was 4:3, then 16:9, then 4:3 again?
You wouldn't believe the kind of things I've seen OTA HD stations do...the list is long and distinguished. Anytime they deal with something new, things are haywire for a few weeks! (Nothing to do with HR20/Sat either, just local engineering staff. Some are much worse than others.

I know when we get HD Locals/MPEG-4 here, things are going to be "randomly" messed up for quite a while. Fortunatley, I'll know ahead of time that most of the problems will be local. (and you guys with long term HD-Local/MPEG-4 experience will show me the difference...thanks for the early beta testing of both your local stations' engineering staff/equipment, and the HR20...a thankless job)

9,882 Posts
mtnagel said:
My CBS does it all the time. And this is OTA only as my HD locals aren't available on the sat.

Video breakups.
Audio sync issues.
Audio breakups.
Forget to go back to HD after commercial break.
I could go on.
Bit starved to death because of 2 subchannels. Talk about "HD lite".

I also see audio sync issues on my local NBC OTA as well.

So yes, it's an issue with your local station.

· Icon
777 Posts
bonscott87 said:
My CBS does it all the time.

Bit starved to death because of 2 subchannels. Talk about "HD lite".
What is on the two subchannels? Our CBS here in Atlanta has two subchannels, but they're empty. I believe they're just placeholders so that they'll show up when people scan. The only time I've known them to program the subs is during March Madness.

· Hall Of Fame
13,446 Posts
dervari said:
I wonder if as stations start ramping up for HD news the overlay problem will go away. Seems if they can overlay on top of the local HD news they should be able to overlay an HD network feed.
The two should be related. In order to do HD news, obviously all of their equipment has to handle HD from end to end. So it shouldn't be a problem to overlay on top of network programming.

But the thing is, HD news is pretty far off for the majority of stations. Here in Detroit, we just had our first station start HD newscasts two weeks ago, and this is a major market!

· Legend
183 Posts
This was happening with the WABC-DT feed on ch. 86 last month when they started Jeopardy in HD. It would start in 16:9 HD, then switch to 4:3 SD, then have audio problems and then back and forth for the duration of the show. Over the last few weeks, they seem to have gotten their act together, but I still get audio drop-outs from time to time. Nothing like that really happens with CBS (80) or NBC (82), the problem seemed to be only with ABC. They would mess up Lost all the time last year.

· Registered
8,671 Posts
It's kinda amazing to me that the HD tvs have been flying off the shelf for quite a while now but the content providers are just getting started... Would think they wood get moving with the demand for HD..

· Icon
777 Posts
Jeremy W said:
But the thing is, HD news is pretty far off for the majority of stations. Here in Detroit, we just had our first station start HD newscasts two weeks ago, and this is a major market!
We're lucky. :)

WXIA-DT (NBC) here in Atlanta has had HiDef news for about 6-7 months now, and WSB-DT (ABC) has recently started their newscasts in HiDef. With 50% of the major news outlets HiDef, it wouldn't surprise me to see WAGA-DT and WGCL-DT go HiDef in the next 6-12 months.

9,882 Posts
dervari said:
What is on the two subchannels? Our CBS here in Atlanta has two subchannels, but they're empty. I believe they're just placeholders so that they'll show up when people scan. The only time I've known them to program the subs is during March Madness.
First subchannel is an SD version of the main feed. Yes, stupid I know, but it's the way they deliver to the cable companies in the area (or so they say).
They just added a second subchannel which is the CW network.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.