Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am trying to determine if there is an issue with recording OTA on 0x10b, or if it is just my setup that needs some tweaking. Please post what kind of results you are having with OTA recordings. Here's the issue I'm seeing: It seems like I can watch OTA all day on the HR20 without a breakup, but if I record something from OTA, I see consistent digital breakup in the signal when playing back the recordings. Just to be more specific, I get audio dropouts that are accompanied by picture pixelization or freezing, as if the receiver lost the bitstream. These only last for a few seconds at a time, but enough to be very annoying. Is anyone else seeing something similar? The DTV transmitter that I'm receiving is about 1 air mile from my house. My signal stays on 100% and occasionally dips down to 99%, so I wouln't say it's a reception problem unless I am actually overloading the receiver with signal, which I suppose is possible.

·
Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08
5,222 Posts
I saw this Saturday night and also had it lock so it needed a RBR. After that it came back up and the recording before was like you describe, and the recording after the RBR was fine. I know it wasn't signal loss, because the HR10 was recording it fine.

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't tested this thoroughly, so maybe I could get a few of you to try this out. I will certainly test it myself later. It appears that the problem gets worse if I start to playback the recording while it is still being recorded. In other words, when I start to play back, it looks good until it reaches the point in the program where I first started to view it. From that point on, it appears to have much more break up. So a good test would be: Start an OTA recording. Leave it alone for a while and watch. Now remember where you are in the recording and start to play it back. If I am right, when it reaches that portion of the recording, you should start seeing digital breakup.

·
5,222 Posts
marty45714 said:
I haven't tested this thoroughly, so maybe I could get a few of you to try this out. I will certainly test it myself later. It appears that the problem gets worse if I start to playback the recording while it is still being recorded. In other words, when I start to play back, it looks good until it reaches the point in the program where I first started to view it. From that point on, it appears to have much more break up. So a good test would be: Start an OTA recording. Leave it alone for a while and watch. Now remember where you are in the recording and start to play it back. If I am right, when it reaches that portion of the recording, you should start seeing digital breakup.
Interesting. That's what I was trying when it locked--to view the show as it was being recorded.

·
3 Posts
marty45714 said:
Hello,
I am trying to determine if there is an issue with recording OTA on 0x10b, or if it is just my setup that needs some tweaking. Please post what kind of results you are having with OTA recordings. Here's the issue I'm seeing: It seems like I can watch OTA all day on the HR20 without a breakup, but if I record something from OTA, I see consistent digital breakup in the signal when playing back the recordings. Just to be more specific, I get audio dropouts that are accompanied by picture pixelization or freezing, as if the receiver lost the bitstream. These only last for a few seconds at a time, but enough to be very annoying. Is anyone else seeing something similar? The DTV transmitter that I'm receiving is about 1 air mile from my house. My signal stays on 100% and occasionally dips down to 99%, so I wouln't say it's a reception problem unless I am actually overloading the receiver with signal, which I suppose is possible.
I saw the same issue Saturday night during SNL.

Steve

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Here is a question;

When you are playing back the recording.
What channel is the unit on underneath the playback? OTA or SAT

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Here is a question;

When you are playing back the recording.
What channel is the unit on underneath the playback? OTA or SAT
Tell me if I am misunderstanding your message, because I thought that was clear in my post. I am recording OTA. At the same time I am watching (delayed) the OTA that I am recording.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
marty45714 said:
Tell me if I am missing something, because I thought that was clear in my post. I am recording OTA. At the same time I am watching (delayed) the OTA that I am recording.
marty45714 said:
Hello,
Sorry... didn't see where it said you where watching it delayed.

Just saw where you where said you where "playing back the recordings"...
Didn't state when in the "recording" process you where.

marty45714 said:
As I didn't read your follow up post, to clarrify that it was WORSE when you where watching while it was recording.

My apologize

·
Godfather
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Sorry... didn't see where it said you where watching it delayed.

As I didn't read your follow up post, to clarrify that it was WORSE when you where watching while it was recording.

My apologize
No apology necessary. You're right, it was the latter message where I clarified that. So yes, it appears to amplify the problem when you watch it while recording. If I had to guess, the unit is using too much CPU or disk bandwidth in order to effectively capture the OTA bitstream.

·
5,222 Posts
For me, I was watching History channel and noticed it was about 20 minutes into Star Trek recording on OTA. I thought I'd been on that channel before so hit the PREV button. Nothing happened. I hit LIST and saw it was recording and selected it and highlighted play and hit select. The box locked and I did a RBR. When I came back the OTA recording of Trek looked like there was a lost signal every few seconds--no or bad sound, garbled pixelated video. The recording that was continuing looked fine. I checked my HR10 and there was no signal loss on its recording of the same show.

Not seen the problem since.

·
Legend
129 Posts
My problem was that I started the OTA recording, then after about 10 mins went to the playlist to watch it from the begining. The screen just went grey, none of the movement commands worked (forward, back, slip). I hit the back button, then exited back to live tv. The live TV was on a different channel (a hd local as I recall). Changed to the OTA channel I had tried to record and picture was fine, watched the rest of the program without problem on live TV.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.