22,056 Posts
WOW! What a great looking box! I see it
is a 'Complete System" - what's up with
that?

Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Legend/Supporter
262 Posts
I see the couple on the front of the box cuddling...

...or is that huddling in fear of what it IS or ISN'T gonna do??

Hey, I know it was a cheap shot - that's why I took it

Look forward to hear you experiences Scott

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just again to verify what I said earlier about having to have both tuners hooked up...

From the PVR 721 Read Me First letter

"On the back of the receiver are two ports marked Satellite In 1 and Satellite In 2. For the receiver to work properly, you must connect these two ports to the same device - either to the same LNBF on your satellite dish or to the same multi-dish switch"

The manual is a nice 176 page book, there is no mention of Internet access or the USB ports that I could find in breifly glancing over the manual. The only thing it mentions about the USB port is "There is a USB Port on the back panel. It is reserved for future use by EchoStar-approved USB devices."

A funny thing about the manual is that all the pictures they show which they have to show video they show pictures from Channel 101 the Remote Control Help channel.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
If you have time, try plugging a usb keyboard into one of the usb ports.... UTV units have usb "for future use", but usb keyboards seem to work now.

·
Icon/Supporter
627 Posts
I'm not going to bash E* yet (I'm waiting for the weekend review), but the "most advanced. . . ever" label on the top of the box seems way over the top from what we've read about what it will do (much less what it can do right now out of the box). I don't think there is any doubt that the other dual tuner IRD from the competition has more capabilities.

But hey, when this baby is stable, I'm ready. Installed the quad LNB on Fathers day, ran the RG-6 and the dual feeds are in place (My wife keeps reminding me I still have to patch the holes I cut in the drywall though:blush: ). Let the testing begin.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just an update.

Plugged everything in and turned it on, after the extrodinary SLOW check switch test I was good to go!

A very cool thing I like about the 721 is that it downloads the new software in the backround! This means I can watch TV while its downloading its software.

I should note that while I can do channel up and down I can not yet access the guide or the PVR functions, when I try to access them I get the following message. This Feature is being aquired from the satellite. Please stand by or check back in a few minutes. which basicly means my receiver has no software and is downloading it now.

I can go into the System Setup option and select Software upgrade and actually see the software being downloaded.

I called Dish Network and activated the unit (although I have not got my hit as of yet.) But I am watching Marnie and Pete on Channel 101 as I wait.

More later!

(PS while I post some updates here please don't consider this my review, what I am posting here are some random thoughts from my big fat head) :D

·
EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Plugged everything in and turned it on, after the extraordinarily SLOW check switch test I was good to go!
Did it come with the new DishPro LNBF and switch and if so, what is the system designation (721-22C?)? Did you connect it to your existing legacy LNBF and switch or change over to DishPro?

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Also, is that Joe Theisman next to the couple? :)

Would be fitting, wouldn't it?

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Also, did you home-run the second line or did you cascade an SW-21?

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Seems like the title of the thread should be changed from "It's" to "He's"

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Wooohoooo, have fun Scott, I can't wait till mine comes. :) I know I'm way down on the list at Dish Depot. :(

:lol: .....Evan, that comment cracked me up.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
My 2 lines are coming directly of my SW 64. No other switches are involved.

I have been playing with the 721 for over an hour now and I must say that I am liking what I am seeing, although there are a few things that could use a little help. At the moment I am impressed with the unit!

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
When you press the guide button and press the page up and down keys the pages change almost instantly.

I will take some realvideo of the guide to show you how fast it is. The channel changing does take some time, but this is not a 721 problem, its because its always recording so that you can pause live tv, so it has to build a buffer everytime you change channels. All PVR's have this problem unfortunately.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
cnsf, I am SUPRISED to report that I can not hear the hard drive on the 721 (or for that matter the fan the unit has) Although I must admit that the room I have it in I can hear other Hard drive noise from the Dishplayer that is also in the room.

Startup time is a bear (from a cold boot) it takes over 75 seconds for it to go through a full boot. From a warm boot its only a couple of seconds.

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Cory.....that's me.... :D

Not too bad. When do you get to open it up and check out the guts? HD specs, housing config, venting, etc.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.