DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
I got a few questions.....

Does it have the screensaver like the dishplayer does?
Does it change channels slower than the dishplayer or 501 did?
How far does the guide go? 7 or 9 days? I think 501 is 9 days.
Does the Interactive logo come up to go to a website like the dishplayer does? Maybe it will start doing that later and HOPEFULLY they will make it to where we can shut that feature off.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
1) Yes it does have a screensaver, I had it tuned to a PPV movie channel (but I didnt order a PPV) after a few minutes of sitting on the Would you like to order screen a Dish Network logo screen saver popped up

2) I would say about the same as the Dishplayer (5 seconds) this is because its always recording so it needs to make a buffer when it records. Although button pushes bring up the banner or guide alsmost instantly.

3) I just check it is 5:10PM on Friday June 28th and my guide went out to 7 AM Sunday July 9th thats more then 9 days :D

No interactive logos. That was a Microsoft thing not a Dish Network thing.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
I wonder why they did not put the screen saver on the 501, must be because there is no internet surfing capability with that receiver.

Did it used to take longer to surf the channels on the dishplayer but somehow they were able to speed it up some? I hope they can speed it up quicker than 5 minutes.

Can you press down on the channel up button and it go quickly through the channels like the 301 and some legacy receivers can?

·
Godfather/Supporter
281 Posts
3) I just check it is 5:10PM on Friday June 28th and my guide went out to 7 AM Sunday July 9th thats more then 9 days
Wow! 10+ days......I like that. I thought that it was 7 day guide, that's what E* said.
Forgot to ask, how fast was the guide and software download?

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I hope they can speed it up quicker than 5 minutes.
Its 5 seconds not minutes. :)

Can you press down on the channel up button and it go quickly through the channels like the 301 and some legacy receivers can?
No its a PVR which means it must buffer the signal to a hard drie thus there is a delay. ALL PVR's are like that. :D

Scott

·
Legend in my own mind
552 Posts
Scott,
What do the music channel screens look like?
Do they have a screen saver that comes on after a few minutes like the Dishplayer, or
do the titles 'scroll' or
what???

716 Posts
Originally posted by Dmitriy

Wow! 10+ days......I like that. I thought that it was 7 day guide, that's what E* said.
Forgot to ask, how fast was the guide and software download?
Ummm, 5:10pm Friday June 28 to 7am Sunday July 7 (not July 9, that is a Tuesday) is 8 1/2 days, not 10+. Its the same guide the 501 gets.

·
Godfather
432 Posts
Originally posted by Scott Greczkowski
Just again to verify what I said earlier about having to have both tuners hooked up...

From the PVR 721 Read Me First letter

"On the back of the receiver are two ports marked Satellite In 1 and Satellite In 2. For the receiver to work properly, you must connect these two ports to the same device - either to the same LNBF on your satellite dish or to the same multi-dish switch"
Do they mean work properly, like work as a dual tuner PVR, or really like it won't work at all. I just found out I am getting mine on Wednesday...:D

·
Godfather/Supporter
281 Posts
Originally posted by spanishannouncetable

Ummm, 5:10pm Friday June 28 to 7am Sunday July 7 (not July 9, that is a Tuesday) is 8 1/2 days, not 10+. Its the same guide the 501 gets.
Read Scott's post again! It says it's until July 9. Scott, can you please verify that ?

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Time to answer some more questions

What do the music channel screens look like?
They almost look like they do on the 6000, except the song names seem to "float" instead of bounce around. I haven't kept the music on long enough yet to see if a screen saver kicks it.

But I feel that the floating of the titles is a good enough screen saver. :)

It says it's until July 9. Scott, can you please verify that ?
Yes I messed up (sorry) It goes til Sunday July 7th. Thats what get for typing 3 things at once. :D

Does the 721 respond to IR signals from a Learning IR remote?
I would assume so. I can control everything but the PVR functions using the remote from my 3900 reveiver (and that remote is IR only)

Still working. :D

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Any bugs? If yes, please right the most annoying bug.
With the new spot patch that was released today I am happy to report that the freezing and rebooting problem that others were reporting are now gone.

To be perfectly honest I have spent a good amount of time TRYING to make the 721 crash, but so far I have not been able too.

My hats off to the folks at Echostar for quickly releasing this patch!

Jim there will be a review thread tommorow. :) Look for the review to go online sometime around 3 pm eastern.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
For those of you interested, I just got to look over some of Scotts review for tomorrow........Your in for a real treat. Scott has done one HELL of a job on what I seen. :righton:

41 - 60 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.