DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 79 of 79 Posts
G

·
I know this may not be an issues for some, but my UTV and TIVO change channels around 2-3 seconds, I love that and hated waiting the 5+ seconds my old DP acted. I hope Dish improves the performace with the 721 in the future.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
So it may not have been the typical thing that caused the bugs in the dishplayer and 501 before that had happened with the 721 this time for the freezing and rebooting issues, so this sounds like a plus that they were able to fix it so quickly, things are looking up then on this unit if that is the case.

I like the 2 hour buffer but I wish we were giving an option to extend the buffer time but of course one could just press record if they think they will be out of the room for a while.

Nobody mentions anything about these extra ports on the back and what we could do with them ourselves. I am surprised nobody had tried rewriting software for this unit or the 501 or dishplayer to allow it to do more things without waiting for Dish to do so to get more features (such as those on my website), someone that knew how to write software of this kind, and use those ports as well.

Maybe if someone could write some good software that Dish might buy it and that person make some good money off of it. If someone discovered something doing this someone could make some good money off of it that way as well. Even if someone did not do it for the money then that person would get some recognition at least for doing what they did.

·
Legend
131 Posts
Swampthing;
From what I understand...the 2 inputs are from the Lnb (regarding you have a twin or quad) You cannot use the cable companies source. Besides you need both inputs from the Lnb for the unit to work properly....
rolou21.

·
Legend
131 Posts
Does anyone else have any info (from Dish Depot) as far as tracking number or status on their order. I do believe I am order # 25....Hopefully next week because during week of July 6 I'm on Vacation to Cape May, N.J!!
I do beleive the 721 will be a great unit..everyone has to be patient and give E* a chance to work out the bugs....It took 4 501's before It started to work flawless. Hey if it doesn't work..you have the power to ship it back and get a new one...Maybe they will get the message one way or another. The unit is waranteed for 1 year.

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
the 721 run ok if one of the inputs is from your cable company, or do both have to be satellite?
Both connections need to be from your Dish or Multi Dish Switch. You can not have your Dish on 1 input and cable TV on the other input. The 721 like all other Dish Network receiviers are MPEG receivers not NTSC receivers. :)

·
Legend
123 Posts
Okay... I already have a Quad 500 switch installed, and four receivers set up using each of those outputs, so what options would allow me to set up a 721? Is there some other type of splitting or switch options I could use? Or am I better off just having a second Quad 500 and four new inputs installed to each of the receivers?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Swampthing, do you still have your Quad manual? You can connect 5 or more receivers using the Quad, it will require 4 splitters and 2 SW 44 switches with 2 power Inserters.

G

·
Go with the DISH PRO LNB that comes with the 721 system and use DISH PRO switch's. I think you can expand to 12 receivers using the 301 or 501 with the 721. If you are using legacy receivers like the 4900 or 3000 you will need an adapter for each legacy unit.

·
Legend
123 Posts
John... Unfortunately the installer didn't give me the manual after he installed the Quad... :( Any idea how much money it would be to just set up a couple of the recievers to have 721 capability? If I bought the 721 and they set it up, could they install two recievers?

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Scott, is anyway we can download the video to watch? Its pretty hard to watch the video because frames are dropping ( i have cable modem) and the voice over and video just isn't matching up. It would be greatly apprecaited if I could just download it...
thanks

G

·
I've seen several people mentions the 721 is running linux. What does the 721 do/say to indicate Linux? I saw in the review a comment about "Linux devil" which in reality is the "FreeBSD Devil" (the penguin(named tux) is the linux mascot). One person mentioned GPL software on slashdot, however if the device is FreeBSD based it may not be required to GPL anything. I would be real interested in the 721 if it really does runs linux(I like freebsd, however I do not use it very much).

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
Swampthing - Since you have the QUAD, I think John Corn told you the solution for a single dish solution (i.e. 4 2GHz splitters and 2 SW44's). However, it may be CHEAPER to simply setup a second Dish500/QUAD.

Another option (besides the DishPro series equipment- great - if all your equipment is 301/501/721 - the legacy adapters are expensive) would be to get 2 2x8 multiswitches with 2 Dual LNB's, then use an SW21 for each tuner. But I'm not sure if this would be cost effective as a swap from the QUAD either.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
What if you connect the 2nd satellite in port up to a different echostar satellite slot or any of these combinations for the 1st and 2nd ports (port 1 is first satellite connection in and port 2 is second satellite connectin in)?.......119 dish 300 (port 1) - 110 dish 300 (port 2), 119 dish 300 (port 1) - 61.5 dish 300 (port 2), 110 dish 300 (port 1) - 61.5 dish 300 (port 2), 119 & 110 dish 500 (port 1), 61.5 dish 300 (port 2) - 119 & 110 dish 500 (port 1) - 110 dish 300 (port 2), or any other combination you can think of.

What would that do to the receiver or what would the result be? The ones with dish 300 above on one port would have no switch on them but just receive from one slot. If a storm would go over and block one of the slots but not the other what would this do? Would any of this cause lock ups or other problems since this is such a more complex set-up and the receiver could get confused?

I remember how the dishplayer got confused and displayed all channels if the power went out or the signal was lost while on or something like that, will the 721 do that as well?

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.