DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Legend
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earl, I've seen your 50/50 prediction of a software upgrade coming down this week on another thread. . What are the odds today? It's worth noting that the last time Earl had a 50/50 probability, later that week we had a rollong upgrade!

·
Banned
614 Posts
jimbo713 said:
Earl, I've seen your 50/50 prediction of a software upgrade coming down this week on another thread. . What are the odds today? It's worth noting that the last time Earl had a 50/50 probability, later that week we had a rollong upgrade!
If the rumors are accurate about OTA being on by November 1st, then an update would be required tonight to enable OTA. So maybe a Halloween treat tonight, or maybe a Halloween trick.:lol:

·
Icon
928 Posts
Don't get your hopes up for a Nov. update. Best bet is it will be Dec. like Earl mentioned.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Smthkd said:
Don't get your hopes up for a Nov. update. Best bet is it will be Dec. like Earl mentioned.
The December estimate is the official CSR stance. Earl hasn't exactly said that's when he thinks it will be switched on.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,471 Posts
PoitNarf said:
The December estimate is the official CSR stance. Earl hasn't exactly said that's when he thinks it will be switched on.
Actually, Earl said that it would be some time in October. Optimism is not high at this point for an October launch.

There are two relatively authoritative estimates out there at this time: 12/1/2006 and 12/31/2006. Based on the current list of fundamental issues, I'd be betting on the latter.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
harsh said:
Actually, Earl said that it would be some time in October. Optimism is not high at this point for an October launch.
He did say that he estimated that October would be the month, but I think the big issues with 0xDC caused them to hold off on it. I'm hoping on OTA in November.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
0% chance of an update tonight.

Marginal chance of any update this week.
5% chance that the next update will have OTA enabled.

A lot of things changed after the weekends worth of testing.

·
Banned
614 Posts
james_stewart said:
excuse my noobness what is "OTA becoming available on Nov 1" ??
:sure:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
james_stewart said:
OTA is "Off the air"; digital channels you'd get with a normal VHF/UHF antenna. Right now the OTA tuner is not enabled on the HR20, so everyone has been "patiently" waiting for them to be switched on.

cybrsurfer said:
Come on guys, try to be helpful to the n00bs :)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,471 Posts
james_stewart said:
Here in the HR20 forum, it means that someone was wondering if the HR20 would be able to tune in local television stations by way of a conventional TV antenna by tomorrow.

As hard as it may be to imagine, it cannot and that fact is driving many to distraction.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
PoitNarf said:
OTA is "Off the air"; digital channels you'd get with a normal VHF/UHF antenna. Right now the OTA tuner is not enabled on the HR20, so everyone has been "patiently" waiting for them to be switched on.
that's what I thought thanks. I called DTV about this and they said if I have a 5 LNB dish the feature is disabled, I then switched it over to 3 LNB in the setup menu and it still didn't give me the OFF AIR antenna feature. Liars

cybrsurfer said:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,471 Posts
james_stewart said:
I called DTV about this and they said if I have a 5 LNB dish the feature is disabled, I then switched it over to 3 LNB in the setup menu and it still didn't give me the OFF AIR antenna feature. Liars
With respect to the HR20, the OTA feature hasn't been delivered yet. It has nothing to do with how you hook it up.

The 5LNB dish isn't holding up OTA reception, but it isn't helping either. OTA signals will have to be delivered through their own cable with the 5LNB dish.

·
Banned
686 Posts
james_stewart said:
that's what I thought thanks. I called DTV about this and they said if I have a 5 LNB dish the feature is disabled, I then switched it over to 3 LNB in the setup menu and it still didn't give me the OFF AIR antenna feature. Liars
Not liars, just uninformed. They meant that you couldn't diplex OTA if you were using the 5 LNB dish. I really wish D* would invest more than 50 cents in training these chimps. But they don't seem to really invest in anything that doesnt have an immediate effect on bringing in the bucks.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
matto said:
Not liars, just uninformed. They meant that you couldn't diplex OTA if you were using the 5 LNB dish. I really wish D* would invest more than 50 cents in training these chimps. But they don't seem to really invest in anything that doesnt have an immediate effect on bringing in the bucks.
there's no need to train 400 chimps if %80 of the calls they receive have to do with trivial crap. Most people can't operate a toaster. the technologically inclined tend to do their own trouble shooting instead of depending on America's greatest atrocity, customer service

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
matto said:
There was a huge thread about this very question and even a wiring diagram posted... Haven't tried it yet, take a look. Attached are the directions on how to diplex OTA on a 5LNB install with an HR20.

Has anyone tried this install?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.