DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Comedian Jerry Lewis, hosting his 37th national telethon to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA), began Sunday night's show with a tribute to the International Association of Fire Fighters.

"We do it tonight because it is absolutely necessary," Lewis, 76, told an audience in a Hollywood studio, referring to the heavy losses on Sept. 11 at the World Trade Center.

Lewis has battled health problems in recent years and was swollen from the effects of steroid-based medication for pulmonary fibrosis, a lung condition.

"They've brought me $200 million ...," Lewis said, referring to the union representing the nation's firefighters, many of whom were lined up in their dress uniforms on stage.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/va/20020901/103094499400.html

· Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
I worked on the local broadcast of the telethon here in Cincy for 15 years (77-92). I gave it up because the local TV market just din't want to support the show. Dayton (A city/metro area that is less than half the size of the Cincinnati market) regularly close to matched the contributions due to the local channel pre-empting the telethon. This show used to run locally from 9pm Sunday to 6:30PM Monday on channel 19. Then telethon doesn't come on now until after re-runs of Children of the Corn 145 and "The Pretender" Paid Programming and the tace track report at 6am Monday until 6pm Monday on channel 64. It's disgusting! The reason for this is...$$$$$. The TV stations are unwilling to get a nickel less then they can get from other paid programming sources. BTW...the TV Time used to be GIVEN or sold at a very low rate. Now it has to be purchased at standard rate.

I've had the privilage to meet Mr. Lewis. I just can't believe just how large Jerry is. WOW!!!! Jerry is an ENOURMOUS man now! Great Googaly-moogaly! And he doesn't even sound like himself any more!

Anyway...they just rolled to 2 Million mark. Go Jerry.

See ya
Tony

· Godfather
274 Posts
Jerry should have said " NO ' to the firemen . BUt , because they gave him money that why he did it . There were those on the planes ( producer from "frasier " ) was on board . You don't hear the planes , pentagon or the that worked in the towers .

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evernutty, Welcome to DBSTalk. :)
I didn't notice that, I was watching it from WGN (superstation).
hmmm, wonder why it's not boroadcast on the locals?

Remember the good ole days' nothing like a good Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis show. :)

· Icon
715 Posts
I've stayed up all night watching it. It started at 6pm PT last night I've got a friend with MD in Virginia, so I've experienced it for about 22 years now. The feeds are from CBS Television City in Hollywood. 2 on Ku and 1 on C. KCAL here in Los Angeles is airing the whole show. They were live with the show, but are an hour behind now as Monday started. KWGN and WWOR are airing the live feed. Baseball starts here shortly, but I'll keep the live feed on from T5-Ku throughout the day. :) When local stations go to breaks, the telethon airs highlights from past shows like Reba which I've seen 3-4 times now. :)

· Icon
715 Posts
Wayne Brady did a good job in filling in for the hours that Jerry wasn't there. I think Jerry did 7.5 hours. 4 last night and from 11:30 to 2:50 today. 58 million + was raised by the local TV stations. Good talent on the show this year. Steve Lawrence, Little Richard & the taped bits of Reba were my favorites. I could listen to Reba for the whole telethon if I had a choice. Great telethon and hopefully Jerry won't need to be replaced for quite a few years to come. :) Maybe there won't be a telethon needed in a few years too. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.