DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it is posted someone where already, but help me understand the purpose of the Ethernet connection on the Joey?

Also why 2 Ethernet ports on the Hopper?

· Godfather
499 Posts
Absent a HIC, the Joeys ethernet port can be used to direct connect to the network. It's been said the Hopper can be used like a switch to connect another nearby device to your network. I haven't confirmed this tho.
A Sling Adapter uses 1 of the usb ports.

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
The Ethernet on the Joey can be used for viewing "Home Media" off of your local network. (Unless you have the Hopper Internet Connector a Hopper or Joey not connected to the network cannot use this feature.)

The second Ethernet port on the Hopper works, but does not route. Your home network can be connected to either port - a device connected to the other port cannot see your home network.

The sling adapter connects via USB.

· Godfather
499 Posts
James Long said:
The Ethernet on the Joey can be used for viewing "Home Media" off of your local network. (Unless you have the Hopper Internet Connector a Hopper or Joey not connected to the network cannot use this feature.)

The second Ethernet port on the Hopper works, but does not route. Your home network can be connected to either port - a device connected to the other port cannot see your home network.
The sling adapter connects via USB.
Thanks for confirming that James.

· Icon
906 Posts
So to get Sling is the HIC required? I have a 922 and a 722K hardwired from my network and it works fine. We don't use BB, I use Sling while online similar to a TV2, while others are watching TV in the same room. I don't think I understand the Hoppers and Joeys communicating yet. My install is scheduled for Wed. it should be interesting. I live in a rural area and when I got the 922 my installer had never seen one before he installed mine.

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
356B said:
So to get Sling is the HIC required?
Internet is required, HIC is just one way of getting it to the Hopper. Sling works fine with the Hopper plugged in to an Ethernet cable.

· Mr. FixAnything
28,025 Posts
Marlin Guy said:
I guess I should not quote my installer w/o checking for myself.
He didn't have a Sling on the truck, but told me to plug it into the other Ethernet port when it arrives. :nono2:
Tell us also you've been mystified with internal switch by the installer :D.

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
356B said:
Thanks, I'm getting tired of buying new things.
A Hopper install is fairly cheap. If you need it, it will be installed as part of the upgrade price. Dishes, cabling, the node, taps, splitters ... the only reason one would have to "buy new things" is if they wanted to.

· Hall Of Fame
2,294 Posts
jacmyoung said:
I am curious why isn't Sling a built-in in the Hopper?
A good question. Why not spend money on extra hardware that most users will have no use for and the ones that would want it, already have.

After the way the built-in sling boosted sales of the 922, Oh wait it didn't do that at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.