DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Icon
680 Posts
Nice looking work, wanna come clean my install up? :)

Unfortunately you get guys who like to use one screw to hang a 4 way ground block off my siding and ground it to my propane tank line (yes I did remove it) who offset nice work like that.

· AllStar
60 Posts
You couldn't at least make the green grounding wire run down that vertical seam in the siding? It's so close. That 90 degree bend on the far right looks a little tight. Might be exceeding the bending radius of the coaxial cable.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,472 Posts
I see a couple of bends that are considerably tighter than the recommended 3" minimum bend radius (CommScope specs 10x the OD of the cable). Very handsome nonetheless.

· AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bends weren't the greatest, I was still upset that I was there cleaning up after the last guy, (he was there a week before). Also I should have tied the ground to the cable instead of running it down the wall. I could post pics of what it looked like before I got there. But there are no issues with that job anymore.

All signals are high 80's to mid 90's, and of course transponder 25 on the 119 is 100% :D (I still haven't figured why that TS is always 100. Does make the customers happy LOL

· Hall Of Fame
2,085 Posts
gen2rx7 said:
All signals are high 80's to mid 90's, and of course transponder 25 on the 119 is 100% :D (I still haven't figured why that TS is always 100. Does make the customers happy LOL
Transponder 25 of 119 bird is an oldschool spotbeam.

· Hall Of Fame
1,675 Posts
gen2rx7 said:
Just thought I would throw this out for the wolves. Its not much but I do like what I do. This is proof that all installers aren't bad. As soon as I get my SWM LNB up and running I'll post pics of that.

View attachment 15623
Now why cant we get guys like you here in the stix instead of some good ol boy who does this....

Yes, the white cable and blue cable are my fault. The Black Coax into the wall was prexisting installed when the house was built. Note the Zinwell is attached only at the top so hangs out at a 25deg angle from the wall. The D* installer installed the Zinwell all the way back to the dish.

Attachments

· Legend
162 Posts
rahlquist said:
Now why cant we get guys like you here in the stix instead of some good ol boy who does this....

Yes, the white cable and blue cable are my fault. The Black Coax into the wall was prexisting installed when the house was built. Note the Zinwell is attached only at the top so hangs out at a 25deg angle from the wall. The D* installer installed the Zinwell all the way back to the dish.
Has an installer paid $35 Upgrade written all over it.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
rahlquist said:

dang!!! IT is so hard to get anything secured to Vinyl siding that the Zinwell seems at least party understandable. Other than that, the cables seem secured properly, and the ground is exactly the way that I would do it.

· MANC
1,504 Posts
curt8403 said:
dang!!! IT is so hard to get anything secured to Vinyl siding that the Zinwell seems at least party understandable. Other than that, the cables seem secured properly, and the ground is exactly the way that I would do it.
The ground fails. One screw, one ground wire.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
samrs said:
The ground fails. One screw, one ground wire.
??? I thought that only one line needs to go from a ground block (in this case the switch is a ground block as well) to the electrical ground. there are 2 lines running to the dish

· Icon
680 Posts
Johnnie5000 said:
Nice. Here I was thinking that only the cable company used gas lines as grounds. :lol:
It's not even a natural gas line, it's a copper tube coming from the tank buried in the ground about 10 feet from the house. He attempted to clamp a ground on the point where the regulator is mounted on the side of the house.

· Hall Of Fame
1,675 Posts
curt8403 said:
I know I am just too picky. Whatever idiot decided to swiss cheese the wall tho when building the house.....

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
rahlquist said:
I know I am just too picky. Whatever idiot decided to swiss cheese the wall tho when building the house.....
I know.

when my parents had their system installed. I insisted that the lines from the dish be tucked under the bottom of the siding in a slot there. did not make the installers happy, I did that part for them since they could not figure out how. and then when the whole thing was done, they got reported for some other issues

· AllStar
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rahlquist said:
Thanks for the compliment

I was way out in BFE on this job. I was fighting mountain lions, rattlesnakes, bears etc... LOL I am just glad the guy that was there first was able to shoot the gap for LOS. I would have been up a creek if i had to move the dish.

BTX I can get the Zinwells to attach with all 4 screws on Vinyl siding.

· Hall Of Fame
1,299 Posts
gen2rx7 said:
BTX I can get the Zinwells to attach with all 4 screws on Vinyl siding.
Even with that Dutch lap siding? I just installed siding with out the dutch lap and I suppose it would be easier then but with dutch lap I think it would be harder.... I guess just really long screws, right?:whatdidid

· MANC
1,504 Posts
curt8403 said:
??? I thought that only one line needs to go from a ground block (in this case the switch is a ground block as well) to the electrical ground. there are 2 lines running to the dish
The two lines running to the dish are ground wires. They put extra ground terminals on the switch so you don't need to carry around a pocket full of split nuts. One ground terminal one ground wire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.