DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't let this happen to you :(

So, I get up this morning to find my HR20 has recorded 5 old Dan Patrick shows even though it is set to record new shows only. This happens from time to time, no biggie. So I double dash the Dan Patrick group and it doesn't delete the whole group like it used to. New HD UI... So I find that pressing the dash once brings up a menu and delete programs or mark programs to delete or something like that pops up (I can't tell any more since I don't have any recordings!) and I choose that option and up pops all 5 Dan Patrick shows that I want to get rid of. I arrow over to Mark All and then delete them. Unbeknownst to me, under the 5 Dan Patrick shows and not on the screen are ALL of the rest of my recordings! Since I had pressed the dash when the Dan Patrick group was highlighted I had no idea that I was dealing with all my recordings and not just the ones highlighted. And how convenient is it that there were 5 recordings in the group which just fills up a screen? I knew something was amiss after about 15 seconds when it was still working to delete. Argh...

Don't let this happen to you. It sucks :( Hey DirecTV, where's the Recycle Bin?!

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
The first thing that comes up is the Mark All option. If you hit that it will mark all the the recording for deletion. I would have assumed it meant mark everything but I can easily see how someone could make the mistake since with five episodes that's all that's displayed on the the screen.

Sorry you lost all your recordings.

Was there a message asking if you're sure you want to delete or something similar?

Mike

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Mark all has always meant mark every recording..that hasnt changed one bit. What has changed is they have taken away the dash-dash delete function as they are removing all the old functions from teh colored keys I believe making way for different functionality.

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
CCarncross said:
Mark all has always meant mark every recording..that hasnt changed one bit. What has changed is they have taken away the dash-dash delete function as they are removing all the old functions from teh colored keys I believe making way for different functionality.
You're correct that it hasn't changed. However, if it's something you've never used or seen it's new to you.

Having been in IT I know that most people respond to what they see on the screen and that has bit a lot of people in the rear end.

I'm wondering if there was a pop-up that indicated that everything was going to be delete or if it just wanted confirmation to delete. If it was just a confirmation then was there nothing to indicate that it was all the recording on the drive vice all the recordings in the folder.

Mike

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Mike Bertelson said:
You're correct that it hasn't changed. However, if it's something you've never used or seen it's new to you.

Having been in IT I know that most people respond to what they see on the screen and that has bit a lot of people in the rear end.

I'm wondering if there was a pop-up that indicated that everything was going to be delete or if it just wanted confirmation to delete. If it was just a confirmation then there was nothing to indicate that it was all the recording on the drive vice all the recordings in the folder.

Mike
This last part is a perfect question for someone that just got a new receiver because like most people here I'm not willing to try on one of mine.

·
Legend
155 Posts
Ha. I did the exact thing 30 mins ago. I hit RBR and saved the last 4 shows from deleting. Before I had 79% and now I have 99% of room. I thought I was deleting a series from my kids box.

It is not marked very well and it does not display any type of warning.

I started out the day well with the little lady. She ain't so happy with me now!:mad:

Really REAlly REALLY miss the double dash for delete! I have used it since the DTV HR's have been out.
And HATE its REMOVAL!!!!

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
CCarncross said:
What has changed is they have taken away the dash-dash delete function as they are removing all the old functions from teh colored keys I believe making way for different functionality.
While the dash dash has been removed [and I hate it], the color keys seemed to have stayed the same.
Pressing the red button is how [as before] one can delete "A recording" or "a folder", and it does prompt you as to if this is what you want to do.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
LoweBoy said:
Ha. I did the exact thing 30 mins ago. I hit RBR and saved the last 4 shows from deleting. Before I had 79% and now I have 99% of room. I thought I was deleting a series from my kids box.

It is not marked very well and it does not display any type of warning.

I started out the day well with the little lady. She ain't so happy with me now!:mad:
"Simple solution":
Stay away from the dash button.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Since I use the mark recordings for deletion function quite a bit, I luckily already knew what mark all, delete marked etc. means in that menu. I highly recommend anyone who might use that function to pay close attention to the choices and choose your remote presses wisely if you are in that screen. As the OP demonstrated, you can easily find yourself with an empty playlist.

·
Legend
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my case, #1 I had no idea that I was dealing with more recordings than the group that was highlighted when I started the delete process. And #2 conveniently I just happened to have the same number of programs recorded in that group as what would fit on the screen.

I've never, ever wanted or needed undelete before, but I sure could'a used it today. Good news is most of what was deleted are CBS shows and I can watch them on the HTPC from CBS.com. 1 Swamp People and 2 Ax Men that are still in the guide to be recorded again, and 4 or 5 movies I don't care about losing. Last year's MotoGP race and Indy car race that both had driver deaths. I was kinda going to put those on DVD to keep, but no biggie. It'll be ok...

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
If they didn't think we needed the PIG, there could be 7 or 8 lines visible instead of 5, which means the OP may have been able to see that more than just Dan Patrick was going to be deleted. I blame the PIG! Kill that PIG!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.