DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my folks just got a 32" HDTV today, and the quality of our current dish network setup on the new hdtv is rather...lacking. I told them that they need to get an hd receiver from dish network to get the best out of the tv, but I'm stuck. After reading several threads here, it looks like the ViP 211 is the newest single HD tuner available, and you need it to watch new HD programming. Ok cool. My question, if I buy the ViP 211, can I still use our Dish 500 dish? It looks like some threads here have pointed that using the 500 dish is ok, but it's recommended to use the Dish 1000 instead to receive all the channels. Is this true? Do I really need a Dish 1000 to get all the HD channels?

And what are your thoughts on the Dish 811 receiver? Saw rather cheap ones online compared to the ViP...any help/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks, and sorry for my noob questions.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
geost said:
So my folks just got a 32" HDTV today, and the quality of our current dish network setup on the new hdtv is rather...lacking. I told them that they need to get an hd receiver from dish network to get the best out of the tv, but I'm stuck. After reading several threads here, it looks like the ViP 211 is the newest single HD tuner available, and you need it to watch new HD programming. Ok cool. My question, if I buy the ViP 211, can I still use our Dish 500 dish? It looks like some threads here have pointed that using the 500 dish is ok, but it's recommended to use the Dish 1000 instead to receive all the channels. Is this true? Do I really need a Dish 1000 to get all the HD channels?

And what are your thoughts on the Dish 811 receiver? Saw rather cheap ones online compared to the ViP...any help/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks, and sorry for my noob questions.
Upgrade to either the VIP 211 or 622. The 811 won't get the new HD channels that are MPEG 4. The D500 is usable but for SF you will need to add a 2nd dish. The other possibility is have them replace the 500 w/ a D1000. I'm told it is working somewhat OK in the SF area (I hope it is have a bro in your area and probably gonna try to get him to switch from D*). BTW welcome

·
Godfather
260 Posts
A couple of more points.

1. You can only sign up for the HD "metal" packages which includes all the HD channels. If you get an 811 and don't change your dish, you would be paying for all the channels, but not receiving all the channels.

2. The installation of the new dish is included with the upgrade to a 211.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
The important thing to remember about the 811 (and 6000, 921, 942) is that they are no longer accepting subscribers to the corresponding HD and ten channel Voom paks. The 811 is really only valid as a second HD receiver and an OTA tuner. Last I heard, Dish will not allow someone with non-ViP receivers only to subscribe to DishHD.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
I believe the HD locals are also on 129 for SF as well. Would need at least the 211 to see them as well. BTW: Dish will not active HD channels on 811 if HD not already active on the account.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
SF HD locals are on 119 - typo?
KGO DT (ABC) San Francisco, CA KGO 6438 7s4 119° E*7
geost would still need either 129 or 61.5 for the Voom channels

The 811 would get any SF local digitals with an antenna. That may be hard to do with some Bay Area locations though.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info, thanks a lot guys. I also received an email from dish network saying I'd definitely need the dish 1000 satellite to get all the channels. What kind of switches am I going to need for this satellite? Currently I have two receivers, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. My idea is to use the HD receiver with my hdtv of course, and still use one of my old receivers connected to my regular tv in the bedroom. There's two switch boxes outside, not sure what model they are, but I know they definitely will not work with the new stuff...?

·
Legend
212 Posts
geost said:
So my folks just got a 32" HDTV today, and the quality of our current dish network setup on the new hdtv is rather...lacking.
Have you tried using the S-video input? I could understand if you are using a coax cable to the new TV, but usually the picture on a HDTV using a SD tuner isn't that bad.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,427 Posts
geost said:
What kind of switches am I going to need for this satellite? Currently I have two receivers, one in the living room and one in the bedroom.
No additional switches are required. The Dish1000 will drive two receivers through its integrated DPP32 switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.