DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8,035 Posts
:welcome_s

Ebay & Receivers. A match made in hell.

For your sake, I hope you got the RID and verified with DirecTv that the receiver in question is actually an owned unit and that they will activate it. Or that is a new receiver unopened and never been activated. Otherwise your in for disappointment.

As far as the AM21 goes, what you will get will depend on whats available in your area and how well your antenna picks up whats available.

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
You'll need an AM21 to add an ATSC tuner to the HR21.

Then it all depends on your distance to your local TV station's transmitters, and your antenna installation.

Go to tvfool.com and use your address to help you get started.

...BTW...good luck...I too, hope you don't get burned by getting a D* IRD from eBay. Do you have a 5-LNB dish, too?

· Legend
205 Posts
RobertE said:
:welcome_s

Ebay & Receivers. A match made in hell.

For your sake, I hope you got the RID and verified with DirecTv that the receiver in question is actually an owned unit and that they will activate it. Or that is a new receiver unopened and never been activated. Otherwise your in for disappointment.

As far as the AM21 goes, what you will get will depend on whats available in your area and how well your antenna picks up whats available.
Bought my HR21 from Ebay, brand new unit, all components in original packaging including access card. Activated the day I got it, no problems at all other than the Typical issues everyone is having here.

· AllStar
106 Posts
Some satellite resellers who have large web sites and/or brick and mortar stores do sell legit merchandise on eBay. Check to see that they are in that category and not someone just offloading a piece of junk that they had replaced under warranty. I have two such boxes in my closet - they work, marginally, but I would not even give them to a friend or family member unless all they wanted was all the HBO stuff I have on the drives. It pays to check into anyone on eBay even if you are only buying a t-shirt.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Actually, according to DirecTV legal, only licensed resellers may sell D*-branded equipment, even when it is legally owed (i.e. not leased). They claim it contains proprietary software that is “licensed” and may not be “sold”. They are cracking down hard on eBay sellers. Of course this is no guarantee that all units for sale are by reputable, authorized resellers, but it does improve the chances. Basically, if you are buying from a seller with good feedback from selling other D* equipment, you are likely dealing with a an authorized resleer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.